Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Struggle

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Timing is everything (pun intended) Only 607 tonight. First ball average of 9.21, 18 strikes and 11 spares. Still 3 opens. Never had more than 3 strikes in a row yet only 1 less total than yesterday, 3 added spare and still 3 opens.
    I start third shift tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how I feel not having to work a full shift before bowling.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 0

Timing is everything. At practice last night I was struggling on getting consistent shots. My coach told me to stop rushing the push-away and yanking the backswing back. Just slow it down and let it flow naturally. Increase the speed gradually on the downswing and hit it when you need to, and I snapped off 9 straight strikes before fluffing one to the right.
    My timing has been so much better in my league. The first three weeks I averaged 188. The second three weeks it's been 225.

Chats: 204

Agreed.

It's been so tough trying to perfect so many elements of my game...yet for two years it seems like nothing works because the timing is off. I've been ALL OVER the approach...slow feet, fast feet, smaller steps, different push-aways, etc, etc, etc.... Each time..."we gotta fix the timing".

I took a lesson with Mark Baker last month and the first video he shot of me, he kinda chuckled and when I asked why, he said, "well, it figures the first video I shoot of you and your swing and everything are almost perfect." I watched the video and the only difference between me and "ideal" was the ball was just a tad late during my slide. That entire lesson, I was pounding the pocket and it seemed like I could do no wrong. Then, my first step would get long...and I'd hit light.

Work with Rob....first step is too big. Work with my regular coach...gotta fix that first step, it's way too long. Work with Mark Baker...everything looks great...but the first step. You'd think timing would be an easy fix after two years...but nope. You'd think you could just take a shorter step without thinking about it...nope. Because when I take that step...it FEELS short...I'm intentionally making it a tiny step...but on video...it's easily 2x too long.

26 months of bowling...and I'm still trying to fix the first step of the approach. At this rate...maybe in two more years...I can start looking at that second step.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Aslan, Have you considered trying a 5 step delivery? Just an idea.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkabibble View Post
    Aslan, Have you considered trying a 5 step delivery? Just an idea.
    Tried a 5-step when I was trying the Slowinski DYDS approach. Went away from it because my speed is probably a bit TOO high right now...and adding a step is just gonna end up giving me more speed. Obviously you can add a step and not speed...but then you start adding delays in the approach and the timing still suffers.

Right now I have a major problem that most people would think is a "nice problem to have" which is my speed. I have it listed as 16mph based on the monitors. But that's usually measured at the pins. The actual speed at release is probably closer to 18-19mph. Much of that speed is generated with my legs. The reason it's a "nice problem to have" is that many very skilled bowlers struggle as they get older because they lose speed and can't get it back. I've seen far, far, far more bowlers complaining that they can't keep their balls from hooking too much because they have 9-11mph ball speeds. So at my speed, if I can develop the hand to get it back to the pocket...and suddenly I'm almost at the same speed as the PBA tour.

I asked Parker Bohn III what he felt the biggest difference was between the competition on the Tour and the competition he was facing in the PBA50 and to my surprise he didn't even hesitate to answer, "Speed. Definitely speed." Guys like Parker and PDW...they still have those long, fast approaches...using the entire approach...and generating a great deal of speed. Most of the PBA50 is noticeably slower.

I've tried monkeying with the speed to slow things down a little...but eventually I lose focus and the speed starts creeping back up.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Work with Rob....first step is too big. Work with my regular coach...gotta fix that first step, it's way too long. Work with Mark Baker...everything looks great...but the first step. You'd think timing would be an easy fix after two years...but nope. You'd think you could just take a shorter step without thinking about it...nope. Because when I take that step...it FEELS short...I'm intentionally making it a tiny step...but on video...it's easily 2x too long.

26 months of bowling...and I'm still trying to fix the first step of the approach. At this rate...maybe in two more years...I can start looking at that second step.
    I think that may be your problem, you're thinking about it too much. Have you ever considered putting a piece of tape down for your first step? Figure out what the ideal first step is, put a piece of tape where that step should be then all you need to do to practice it is step on the tape. It may feel weird at first but you practice it enough times it'll start becoming more natural.

I just noticed last night in my daughters room we have a mirror setup low at her level. I was walking by and noticed the angle was perfect to watch me practice my footwork

I did a few practice approaches just checking to see how I drifted. It helped a lot to see in real time without having to look directly down at my feet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12