Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Struggle

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Default The Struggle

I've been struggling all year. My timing has been a little later than usual and at times very late. It actually got to the point where I could feel myself pulling the ball down from the top of my backswing. As a consequence to keep from pulling everything I started short arming the ball. I don't work on my own game much but made an exception yesterday after youth bowling was over.
    Starting the swing before the second step (5 step approach) felt very strange but still shot 652 in three games before moving on to spares. My thought on spares has been to get my ball speed lower or a lot closer to my first ball speed. I'm getting too old to keep shooting them at 20+mph.

My composite average for this season, counting today, is only 181. The only thing consistent has been my inconsistency. Yesterday I was falling off with the new timing but I also knew it was a result of a mental issue and was popping off long after the ball hit the arrows. Today it felt pretty good and I was able to post all my shots. Today I had three opens, all in the second game. Missed a 7 pin to the left, 10 pin to the right and hooked at the 3-6 missing it inside. The shot at the 7 pin was so bad the ball came out of the gutter to get the pin hence the score correction.
    This season's previous high series was 614. So even though this should have and could have easily been a 700 I'm alright with it. Two stone 7s and three stone 9 pins easily could have gone my way too. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not.

USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Obviously, one of the problems with being a coach is that we spend more time and energy helping others than we do on maintaining our own skill level. Then there's the additional problem of not being able to observe one's self. Glad you were able to figure things out and work on a solution.

Even though only one of my league averages is lower than last year, I feel like I've been in a slump. My spare shooting has felt/been awful, and my series have cosistently gone from my high game to start to my lowest game at the end. This last week, I feel like I'm coming out of it. Even though my sport league scores were lower than I would have liked, at least the went up each game. Managed to get a couple practice games in before helping with the youth clinic, and then had a series where I wentfrom a low of 167 in the first game to a high of 220 the last. Even followed the same pattern bowling lefty on Thursday ending on a 197.
    John

I think that in a lot of cases, ignorance is bliss. The more that I am involved in coaching, and writing instructional articles, the worst I bowl myself. I usually find that when I'm not over-analyzing myself, I'm noticing something in someone else and thinking, "Gee, I could fix him." I almost think that it's a blessing in disguise that my back has gotten so bad, that I'm afraid the end is in sight for my own bowling.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It was mentioned how my speed was way down. I got some strange looks when I said that was intentional. I don't want to get the feet moving until I'm confident I will start the swing at the correct time.

Obviously being the end pair they played totally different. Instead of different ball or lines I used different axis rotations and changed balls for both lanes the third game when I went deep.

Rob, sorry to hear your back isn't improving.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Thanks, Bill. It was actually kind of a relief to hear the Orthopedic Surgeon say that my back is so screwed up in so many places that surgery really isn't an option. He did say that if I have a really bad flare-up he could try cortizone, and accupuncture does help some. I do find that I now take bowling, and golf for that matter, one day at a time, and just do the best that I can with what I have. It really does suck getting old!

Sorry to hear that Rib. Stay healthy

Thanks for the thought.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I've been struggling all year. My timing has been a little later than usual and at times very late. It actually got to the point where I could feel myself pulling the ball down from the top of my backswing. As a consequence to keep from pulling everything I started short arming the ball. I don't work on my own game much but made an exception yesterday after youth bowling was over.
    Starting the swing before the second step (5 step approach) felt very strange but still shot 652 in three games before moving on to spares. My thought on spares has been to get my ball speed lower or a lot closer to my first ball speed. I'm getting too old to keep shooting them at 20+mph.

My composite average for this season, counting today, is only 181. The only thing consistent has been my inconsistency. Yesterday I was falling off with the new timing but I also knew it was a result of a mental issue and was popping off long after the ball hit the arrows. Today it felt pretty good and I was able to post all my shots. Today I had three opens, all in the second game. Missed a 7 pin to the left, 10 pin to the right and hooked at the 3-6 missing it inside. The shot at the 7 pin was so bad the ball came out of the gutter to get the pin hence the score correction.
    This season's previous high series was 614. So even though this should have and could have easily been a 700 I'm alright with it. Two stone 7s and three stone 9 pins easily could have gone my way too. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not.

Congrats Bill--that's one heck of a first ball average.

Rob, I too hope your back gets better. Hang in there. Acupuncture (and chiropractic care) can be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    Congrats Bill--that's one heck of a first ball average.

Rob, I too hope your back gets better. Hang in there. Acupuncture (and chiropractic care) can be a big help.
    Thank you. My Chinese Doctor and my Chiropractor are at the top of the list of favorites in my cell phone. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast