Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strokers Rant.. (about crankers)

Default Strokers Rant.. (about crankers)

Warning.. This is nothing but complaining and whining.... I know I need to suck it up and get better... just wanted to vent.

I'd been feeling great.. Averaged over 200 all summer long... I was really confident that when the Fall Leagues started I'd be able to establish my average over 200 for the first time. To shorten the story a bit, my house has had two new lane machines they had been working with. The first week everything was snapping so hard I was getting a ton of splits and averaged 155. There must have been complaints because they changed the pattern. The next two weeks I came with a bit of surface to bleed off some energy and averaged 210 and 215. Many of the Crankers were stuggling a bit.. but Tournament bowlers were still doing fine. (pattern was pretty flat) I found playing a shallower angle gave me some success

They decided to change the pattern again... and I struggled with a 170ish average. I was getting some wet/dry issues if I played around 2nd arrow with a shallow angle. So I needed to increase my angle through the front to keep the ball hitting pocket but carry became a real issue. I was playing a breakpoint of 5 to keep the ball online. Playing straighter was a no go with a flood between 2nd arrows and very little oil outside. Mind you I'm a stroker who is a wannabe tweener.

I took Friday off and worked on figuring out how best to play the new pattern. Now the Crankers are having a great time throwing the ball right and having it scream back. We even had our first 300, but I feel like I have to grind out 180 games without being able to strike consistently.

As an experiment I tried to really exaggerate my attempt at a cranker release (which may only really put me in the tweener category). I literally was missing by 5 or more boards at times and was carrying everything. (where as before I had to be perfect just to hit pocket)
    I'm kind of annoyed at how easy the shot becomes for crankers at the expense of lower rev players. I'm at a point where I'm trying to develop consistency with that release because what I had been doing for the past year and a half seems to be at such a disadvantage on the new House shot.

Anyway.. I just wanted to vent a bit about how the house shot caters to higher rev players that don't really need to develop precision to succeed.

As a side note.. the Cranker that got the 300 this week had done a tournament on a difficult sport pattern (2014 nationals) the weekend prior, and was averaging below 130 before he quit the tourney... He carries an average in the 230's in various leagues.

I'm a cranker and I fight to keep my avg around 170-180 but the low rev old guys play straight down the middle and drop it right in the pocket consistently racking up multiple strikes.
    I am also a lefty so of course no one is helping me on my lines lol.

Chats: 204

Well, it's good that you identified it as a "vent" or I'm sure you'd see multiple comments that you need to learn how to be a cranker.

I feel ya man. It's very frustrating going to league night and knowing that you know more about bowling balls, and patterns, and adjustments, and technique than anyone else out there...but you average in the 170s while you watch thumbless bowlers throwing 7lb house balls and they manage to get a couple 240s games.

But, the advice I give and follow is...as tough as it is...just keep working on your game, keep picking up those spares, etc... I've seen a TON of crankers, 2-handers, and thumbless guys have good games. But I haven't seen very many in the PBA. "Cranking" died with Mark Roth and urethane balls. 2-handers think they are the future because they live the illusion that since Belmo makes it look easy, it MUST be easy...wrong. And how many thumbless bowlers actually have the consistency and spare shooting ability to get to the PBA level?? I can't think of one.

Bowling is frustrating. Sometimes you do everything right...and you still get beat. Sometimes you just make 2-3 mistakes...and you're looking at 170-190...meanwhile you watch people with approaches that look like they have a scorpion in their pants...and they manage to bowl a 279. I ran into a new bowler, bowling thumbless, at the center Saturday. He kept going on and on and on about how he just joined a league and only has like a 152 average but recently bowled a 266. Was it annoying? Yes. Why? Because I've never bowled a 266 in sanctioned play. So if I had to face this kid in brackets or a tournament would I be frightened? Absolutely not. He missed most of his spares and was visibly tired after 3 games because he was TRYING SO HARD to make that ball spin. I LOVE to play big, fat, thumbless bowlers...because I'm almost CERTAIN that by Game 3...they're DONE. Once they tire out and lose that ball speed...it gets ugly fast.

The trick is learning to go from a stroker with a flat release to a tweener with an effortless release that comes through the ball. I'd put my energy into that instead of even entertaining the idea of learning to rip the cover off the ball like Mark Roth.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I used to bowl with a 190'ish bowler who complained about bowling with crankers. That the house caters to these folks. But, tournament bowlers still do well......"tournament bowlers still do well" it's the same cry I heard over the years and I stopped listening to bowlers who cry and ***** about conditions and other bowlers. I know you're venting, but forget about them and what the house puts out! forget it, and if you don't, you'll still be stuck in the mud.

It's just you and the pins. I'm surrounded by guys who know (or think they know) all about ball dynamics, covers, lane conditions, lane graphs, ect.... But the two things these bowlers ignore, or don't know much about, is ball motion and pin action. You can stay ahead of the pattern, make the right ball choice, adjust tilt/rotation, etc.. if they knew more about these two things - of course their physical game has to be sound too.

I'm a classic bowler and I used to think like you. But, the moment I stopped thinking whats around me and focused more of what's in front of me, things got better. I am a straighter player, but why is it, I averaged higher playing passed the track? I accepted the fact that I'm not a high a rev player but I still can play on or passed the 4th arrow because I worked on it. again, I prefer small angles for easier spares, and on sport shots, for me, it's important I stay within my game/limits. but mentally I feel that I am stronger than the bowlers who let the outside world into their heads. To achieve many things physically, the mind needs to be empty and clear.

In fact, my weakness is drier conditions. So what do I do, I joined (drafted) into a second shift league which is on the drier side and compete with guys who average 210-230's with all different styles. I force myself into the woods, being prepared for whatever I come face to face with. That's the crazy conditions and bowler types I bowl with and try to get my points. I accepted my weakness and I'm trying to make it my strength. You can do the same now that you've vented.

Also, when we do well bowling or win, we win. When we don't do well or lose, we learn. Positives are always a plus.
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-06-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I think that's part of the beauty of bowling. Doesn't matter if you're a cranker, stroker, tweener, 2 hander or 1 hander it's all about repeating your shot and hitting your mark. What other sport do you see so many diverse styles and yet on any given day any one using that style can win. I mean I remember one of the members on here bowls in a wheelchair, I think that is awesome. Instead of getting upset how one style seems to have an advantage, I think you should just admire that they can bowl that way and tip your cap to them. Then keep practicing and master whatever is the best style for you and then beat them so they can then complain about your style.

My brother bowls two handed; doesn't practice and does not concern himself with technique or even using targets. As result, he struggles when things don't go well because he doesn't know what to change. When the conditions are right, he scores big, and his speed/rev rate allow him a lot of room to miss - he can really blow up the rack. I know its better to worry about yourself, but I can sympathize with the frustration/annoyance. My style is more that of a stroker/tweener. I take comfort in knowing that putting the work in with practice / learning will make me more consistent and versatile in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I LOVE to play big, fat, thumbless bowlers...because I'm almost CERTAIN that by Game 3...they're DONE. Once they tire out and lose that ball speed...it gets ugly fast..
    I could be considered this guy............the 3rd game is usually my best, probably because I have lost speed lol.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I LOVE to play big, fat, thumbless bowlers...because I'm almost CERTAIN that by Game 3...they're DONE. Once they tire out and lose that ball speed...it gets ugly fast.
    Ok but against a normal size, fit, thumbless bowler that understands how to play the game, not just chuck it and hope, you're toast without a boatload of handicap.

Pin Crusher

The main thing that bothers me about bowling a cranker is they carry so many messengers. They carry hits in the nose so light they should be leaving 5 counts. Then there is the 10 pins I leave so many of and the get the scout coming across. I do really enjoy when the wheels come off and they leave some of the ugliest spares ever. Ah wouldn't it be great to young, strong and stupid again.....

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    The main thing that bothers me about bowling a cranker is they carry so many messengers. They carry hits in the nose so light they should be leaving 5 counts. Then there is the 10 pins I leave so many of and the get the scout coming across. I do really enjoy when the wheels come off and they leave some of the ugliest spares ever. Ah wouldn't it be great to young, strong and stupid again.....
    It is always odd how the better you throw it the luckier you get huh?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast