Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with carry down...

Chats: 0

Default Struggling with carry down...

I'm bowling in a casual mixed league on Weds nights. A large chunk of the players are just out for fun and use plastic balls. Last night - for example, I was the only person out of my team and the opposing team using a reactive ball. Typically I have been bowling well in warm-ups and then part way through the first game, but then I find myself getting lost. I will get the reaction I expect for a while, and find myself moving left a few boards as expected, but then my ball begins to skid too far and I will miss right. So I move back to the right a few boards to my previous strike shot, and I get too much friction and miss left.

The oil volume in this house is medium, and I am thinking that all the plastic ball use could really be pushing the oil down the lane. I have read elsewhere that the adjustment i should be making is a parallel move to the right and making sure i am swinging it out to the dry. Just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this or might have some suggestions?

Chats: 32

Alex what ball are you using?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Tough when every one else is using plastic pushing that oil all over. And they probably are all over the lane not just centered.

Chats: 256

I bowl in fun leagues with plastic ball bowlers and don't really face carry down. Where on the lane are you playing? Where is your break point. I bet 9 out of 10 plastic ball bowlers aren't playing the 9-10 board 40ft down the lane. So they shouldn't affect your shot in that regard. I rarely see my line messed up by straight bowlers. Now, reactive ball bowlers playing the 10 board break point down lane, yes, but not with plastic.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

I too bowl in a small casual mixed league about 30 of us in the league and only 5 use non-plastic equipment. Everyone else throws straight down the lane (sometimes) At times I have had my pearl covered balls look like they skipped a beat in the break point ( which is in the 5 to 10 board range) I have attributed it to the carry down from the straight bowlers that are all over the map with their shots. I have on occasion combated this by joining them switching to my Hammer Taboo spare ball. Shocks most of them to see this plastic ball run out to the 5 and come back to the pocket.
    Last edited by Jessiewoodard57; 10-08-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

I'm using a Brunswick Soul - solid reactive. In this house i play close to the track - breakpoint is around 40ft 8-10 board. I am typically beginning lining up with my left foot on/around 20 and targeting 2nd arrow or just inside - depending on lane conditions. I have had some mixed success moving the line further outside and breaking around 5 board, but it seems like when i play that line, the ball reads midlane much quicker and loses a lot of energy. I suppose it could all be me too - perhaps picking up speed as the evening progresses.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post
    I'm using a Brunswick Soul - solid reactive. In this house i play close to the track - breakpoint is around 40ft 8-10 board. I am typically beginning lining up with my left foot on/around 20 and targeting 2nd arrow or just inside - depending on lane conditions. I have had some mixed success moving the line further outside and breaking around 5 board, but it seems like when i play that line, the ball reads midlane much quicker and loses a lot of energy. I suppose it could all be me too - perhaps picking up speed as the evening progresses.
    My actual guess here is the ball is burning up a little and not carry down I would suggest moving your line farther inside and see if that helps. Sometime when you start with that far outside line and you transition right you move into the track and where you are expecting more oil there isn't. You may find that you need to switch to a more aggressive ball as you move farther in.

If you are seeing carry down watch the motion of the ball if it appears to start hooking then stop then start again that could be it but I'm with Vdub can't believe you've got carry down at the 10 board at 40ft unless they are posting some seriously bad shots consistently with plastic.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    If you are seeing carry down watch the motion of the ball if it appears to start hooking then stop then start again that could be it but I'm with Vdub can't believe you've got carry down at the 10 board at 40ft unless they are posting some seriously bad shots consistently with plastic.
    Amyers what you described the starting and stopping of the hook is exactly what I meant by skip a beat at the break point. As to bad shots oh my as I said in our league they are all over the boards with their shots.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

The plastic balls in this league are definitely all over the place. That being said, I would acknowledge that it would make sense that the ball is burning up - the thing that has been confusing is when I am watching it seems like the ball is skidding too far and not getting into a good roll. Either way, I may use this opportunity to add something new to my arsenal - like pulling teeth convincing my wife that I could use another ball

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

I had my first experience in a long time bowling with a lot of plastic rollers this past Monday. And I have to say, I loved what happened to the lanes.
    I stared the night with my HyRoad which is very tame, as the night went on, I started pulling out more aggressive balls and played the shim with great results.
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast