Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mookie Betts - Bowling

Default Mookie Betts - Bowling

He is an outfielder for the Boston Red Sox and by the video below a good bowler also. He has been invited to play at the WSOB.

I know CJ Anderson of the Denver Broncos is sponsored by Storm and in his own rights a very accomplished bowler

http://video.bostonherald.com/Mookie...wling-28653530

And here is one of CJ Anderson bowling. He says he is a 210 avg bowler. He does seem to slide with his right foot (right hander)

http://www.9news.com/videos/sports/2015/06/29/29487257/
    Last edited by NewToBowling; 10-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Chats: 32

Great just more gimmicks to try and get people to watch the PBA. How about going back to real live tournaments instead of the crazy 4 tournaments over a week then lets tape delay it so everyone knows who won a month before you see it on tv crap instead so people that are at least interested in bowling will watch then try to get the fringe involved.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Yeah, but Mookie Betts is a legitimate bowler with sanctioned 300 games. Just looking at a small sampling of his form he has it. It's just baseball pays a little bit more than the PBA

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Yeah, but Mookie Betts is a legitimate bowler with sanctioned 300 games. Just looking at a small sampling of his form he has it. It's just baseball pays a little bit more than the PBA
    I haven't seen him bowl but there is a big difference between carrying a 210 average on house shot with a few 300's than bowling competitively on PBA conditions.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I haven't seen him bowl but there is a big difference between carrying a 210 average on house shot with a few 300's than bowling competitively on PBA conditions.
    210 average was for CJ Anderson. Here is more info on Mookie:

In high school, Betts was named the Tennessee Boys’ Bowler of the Year in 2010, and bowled two certified 300 games, bowling’s version of a “perfect game.” He also set Tennessee high school records with a 290 game and 827 series, according to the PBA announcement.

So yeah, although not a professional yet and probably there to bring some cache to WSOB he can and will probably hold his own. In other words he's not Chris Paul

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    210 average was for CJ Anderson. Here is more info on Mookie:

In high school, Betts was named the Tennessee Boys’ Bowler of the Year in 2010, and bowled two certified 300 games, bowling’s version of a “perfect game.” He also set Tennessee high school records with a 290 game and 827 series, according to the PBA announcement.

So yeah, although not a professional yet and probably there to bring some cache to WSOB he can and will probably hold his own. In other words he's not Chris Paul
    I'll try to reserve judgment until I see him bowl but the CJ Anderson thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Current arsenal

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Great just more gimmicks to try and get people to watch the PBA. How about going back to real live tournaments instead of the crazy 4 tournaments over a week then lets tape delay it so everyone knows who won a month before you see it on tv crap instead so people that are at least interested in bowling will watch then try to get the fringe involved.
    Not to start an argument but I guess it can be considered one. In a sport where there is not very much prize money and athletes who can't support themselves by being a full time pro, the events can not possibly all be live. The WSOB is done over 2 weeks and a bunch of shows are made off of this (I believe 6). This is to cut down on expenses for everyone. Also sorry to say but making each event live is not going to generate anymore buzz for the "fringe" than a taped show would. Most "fringers" couldn't even tell you if the event was actually taped or live if they saw it.

As far as Mookie Betts, let the man bowl. We will see what happens. I think it is things like that which give the sport a bit more attention. It also showcases the fact that not everyone can compete with the pros. A couple years ago there were a few people who made a big deal about Marshall Kent being given a spot in the WSOB (Same year Terrell Owens was given a spot).
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Chats: 256

He averages pretty well. Here is his USBC link for his stats. He only has 1 300 listed. I know I saw somewhere else he has a couple?

http://membership.bowl.com/USBCsearc...01&suffix=2103

No reason to get upset over a "celebrity" bowling in the WSOB. Just brings more to the sport if they actually try to watch him bowl.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by scottymoney View Post
    Not to start an argument but I guess it can be considered one. In a sport where there is not very much prize money and athletes who can't support themselves by being a full time pro, the events can not possibly all be live. The WSOB is done over 2 weeks and a bunch of shows are made off of this (I believe 6). This is to cut down on expenses for everyone. Also sorry to say but making each event live is not going to generate anymore buzz for the "fringe" than a taped show would. Most "fringers" couldn't even tell you if the event was actually taped or live if they saw it.

As far as Mookie Betts, let the man bowl. We will see what happens. I think it is things like that which give the sport a bit more attention. It also showcases the fact that not everyone can compete with the pros. A couple years ago there were a few people who made a big deal about Marshall Kent being given a spot in the WSOB (Same year Terrell Owens was given a spot).
    I understand that all the events can't be live but having half the season done over a 2 week span at the same location? Sorry that's just lame. The fact that there are not tour stops due to combining these events within reasonable driving distance for a lot of the country is not a good way to grow the sport. 25 US events reduced down to 9 states the closest to me and I'm sure large portions of the country are as bad or worse 5 hour drive.

My comments were not live viewing would increase fringe viewing it just might help them get some actual people who do care to watch. I really do get the money thing they need additional sponsors. Heck I even buy Barbasol most of the time just to support the tour even though there are other products I like better.

Current arsenal

I'll try to reserve judgment until I see him bowl but the CJ Anderson thing left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I agree with CJ. But check out the Mookie Betts video. Great bowling form (at least to me)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast