Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you replace your black/white bowling thumbhole tape

Default How often do you replace your black/white bowling thumbhole tape

Talking about the black/white ones that go into the ball.

Reading online some say they replace their tape every 3-4 games. To me that sounds ridiculous but maybe I'm just an outlier. I really don't replace mine until it gets worn out, usually 40-50 games.

Also what is the ratio of black tape to white. Meaning how many black tapes = one white tape as far as thickness.

Chats: 0

I don't find myself replacing black tape often - usually only coming out when I am swelling/shrinking and the lower layers stay in. The white tape for me is another story. I have at times felt it getting slick in game 2-3 and have taken out the top layer just to put a new piece in. I recently began using the silver Real Bowlers tape and it seams to last much longer for me. I still replace the top layer after 6 games or so when I am bowling at my home center.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

First things first in case anyone reading this doesn't know already; tape edge should be roughly 1/8" below the top of the hole.
    White tape goes towards the front of the thumb, black to the back.
    The white is textured to enhance grip and is naturally thicker. The tape closest to the top of the hole should not exceed more than one piece. Bowlers who tier their tape will have more at the bottom of the hole. As tape is added to the top of the hole the span is effectively changed. Tape to the front of the hole wasn't meant to change hole size but rather to help the thumb relax in the ball.
    Black tape goes facing the back of the thumb hole (where the knuckle rides). This is where size adjustments are meade to compensate for swelling, shrinking, hole drilled wrong, bowler learning to relax thumb so now thumb hole seems big, etc.. In the past I have used up to six pieces at a time due to laziness. Another words, too lazy to get a new slug put in.

Tape is suppose to be changed every set. When I'm paying for it, about once a season or as often as I feel necessary.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 1

This is the first I am hearing about this. It is all new to me.

first let's define terms:

Is the front of the thumb the meaty part and the back has thumb nail or visa versa? - sorry new to this and want to get it right.

How about tape placed over the knuckle and thumb nail? How does that fit into this discussion?
    Last edited by GeoLes; 10-12-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Talking about the black/white ones that go into the ball.

Reading online some say they replace their tape every 3-4 games. To me that sounds ridiculous but maybe I'm just an outlier. I really don't replace mine until it gets worn out, usually 40-50 games.

Also what is the ratio of black tape to white. Meaning how many black tapes = one white tape as far as thickness.

You change tape when you no longer have the feel you want.

Taping is about feel and feel is personal preference, so there is no one answer.

I say if your tape is getting dirty, changing color, loosing texture etc. or just doesn't feel right. Change it regardless of how many games it is, tape is cheap.

One thing though, the longer you leave tape in, the harder it can be to get it out. The adhesives can get gummy from the oils and perspiration that get transferred from your thumb. Residue can get left in the hole you have to clean out. So keep that in mind.

As for Ratio, I'm sure someone will say "I use a 2:1 or 1:3 ........", But again taping is about feel and feel is personal preference. There is no one answer. There's almost as many ways to tape a hole as there are bowlers. (Norm Duke was considered the tape master)

I just use white tape mainly (Sometimes also I use Thunder tape on my thumb to snug up the fit), I usually take a 1" piece of white and cut it in half longways. Placing the strips in certain spots where I want to feel the texture and leave a open area between them under my thumb pad.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by GeoLes View Post
    This is the first I am hearing about this. It is all new to me.

first let's define terms:

Is the front of the thumb the meaty part and the back has thumb nail or visa versa? - sorry new to this and want to get it right.

How about tape placed over the knuckle and thumb nail? How does that fit into this discussion?

The front of the thumb is the pad or palm side of the thumb.
    The back of the thumb is the nail side of the thumb.

Typically White textured tape is used on the front (forward) side of the hole. With the smooth Black tape placed in the back (reverse) side of the hole.

Fitting tape which is placed on the thumb itself, is usually used for making the hole snugger, protection etc.

Black tape use has been disappearing over the years and seems to have been replaced by the use of fitting tapes. The White textured tape is still widely used though.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 221

I change the top piece of white tape each time I bowl.Because of how dry my hands are because of dialysis I use a spray to add a little moisture/tackiness to my hand. as a result I need to change the top piece on a regular basis
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

bowling tape, white or black is all about personal preference, feel, and fit.

Many bowlers think there's one way to use bowling tape mentioned. In short, there is none - but it should be positioned right though. In the past, I used white tape for both the front and the back of my thumb hole. Some bowlers use black. Some use a combination of white and black. It all depends per bowlers. And many times, many bowlers don't know how to position them in the hole.

My White tape is replaced ever 3-9 games. It all depends on the brand and how much rosin I use. Storm white tapes don't last for me, so I replace mine every 3-4 games. Masters brand, I can go with longer. My thumb fit is on the very snug, not too tight side, so I'm always looking for the feel.

I don't only use white tape which I have in the front of my thumb hole, but I also use Magic Carpet tape. This MC keeps my thumb fit tight and allows me hold the ball with very little to no grip pressure. I've been using MC for almost a decade now.....
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-12-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Chats: 0

don't forget that there's release tape you can put directly on your thumb. There's also protective tape you can use for thumbs and fingers.

Chats: 256

I switch out my 1 piece of white tape on the forward side of the ball every 6-9 games or so. I don't use the black tape or tape on my thumb at all.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast