Thread: Hey Tournament Players!! How do you decide...?

Chats: 204

Question Hey Tournament Players!! How do you decide...?

For the tournament bowlers out there...a quick question:

Many tournaments allow you to re-bowl/re-enter. When I first participated in a tournament, I found this out when I beat a guy and then saw his name on the scoreboard with a higher series (that he bowled earlier in the day).

But the question is...how do you decide whether to re-enter or to just enter once??

Like, in poker...my rule is that I never re-enter. I figure if God and/or luck are not on my side...spending another $140 is probably not going to change that. Plus, it puts me behind everyone else in terms of stack size. However...on a rare occasion...if I lost early due to a bad beat (a hand I statistically should have won but the other player lucked out)...I 'might' do it.

But with bowling...every chance is a fresh start. So if you're in a tournament and lets say your sanctioned average is 180. If you bowl a 540 series...you've bowled your average. Would you stop and go home or re-enter? What if you instead bowled a 465? Do you see that as an aberration and re-enter? Or do you just chalk it up as a loss and save the money? What if you bowl a 615 series? Does it matter how everyone else is doing?

For me...if the entry fee is low ($25-$35)...I try to re-enter as many times as I can. But if the entry fee is in the $35-$65 range...it's more of a dilemma.

If I bowled a 465...I'd probably look at the leaderboard and see what I'd need to cash. Obviously a 465 isn't going to cash...but if I need to bowl more than a 550 to even cash...maybe I decide to return home and lick my wounds and chalk it up as a learning experience. But if I bowl a 465 and need a 690 to cash...then I'm definitely out.

But once I get in the 540-690 range...and lets say am just outside the cashing group...I'd be tempted to try my luck again...since things are going well...but at the same time...what are the odds that I can improve upon my scores? If I'm bowling above my average to begin with...then am I just hoping to have the series of my life?

So do you guys have a 'system' you use when deciding to re-bowl? Or is it just how you feel? Or is it money dependent?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

If you bowled well, but think you can do better... re-enter. If you started badly, but found something late... re-enter. If you never found anything... go home.

Chats: 256

Rob's thinking is exactly how I would look at it. I don't enter enough smaller tournaments that I would want to do a re-entry, but I would certainly look at my last few games to determine if I wanted to attempt to get a better score in.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Well we are three for three. Tournaments are an investment to me so it depends on what I see as return on investment. Bowing bad I cut my losses and head home. If I bowled well I won't waste money knowing I probably won't bowl any better. However, found something near the end then I will.
    Of course most of the good money tournaments around here don't allow re-entry.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com