Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your best tip on making 10 pin spares? Or 7 pin if you're a lefty.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    ^^This is a great tip.

One thing I've had trouble with this season is the 4-7. I keep picking the 7 off somehow, and then when I adjust, I start picking off the 4. I'm less than 60% on the 4-7 this year.
    I had a session with Susie Minshew last year and we discussed the exact thing of shooting at multi pin spares. She has an article on Bowling This Month that covers this.

Here is part of what she wrote in her article "Never Shoot a Single Pin Again":
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Minshew
    Regardless of what’s standing, shoot something else
    One of the best ways I know to conquer sparing ills is to never shoot a spare alone. By this I mean that regardless of what’s standing up, you are shooting at something else. Here’s how it works:

Let’s say you leave a 3 pin. Don’t just shoot that lonely 3 pin. Decide you will shoot it as though it were the 3/9, the 3/10, or even more fun, something with the 3/7 in it. We’ll start with the 3/10.

Let’s say you line up and roll your shot, smashing the 3 pin in the face. In fact, you hit it so squarely, it looked like the ball was chasing the pin off the deck as it hit it again on the way back. (My coach, Bill Harris, used to tell me that counted as a double!)

You’ve made the 3 pin spare, of course, and now you get to slap everybody’s hand and take a card to see if you got your full house yet. In your heart, though, you know it wasn’t good enough. You’ll know that if you leave the 3/10, you are not lined up to make it.

So, you earn your slash mark by making the spare, you’ve learned how to spare the 3/9 if you should leave it, AND you know how much to move to make the 3/10. That’s a lot of information from one simple shot!

Never turn your back on a shot whether you think you’ve missed it or made it. You’ve got to pay close attention to how you hit that 3 so you get the maximum benefit from your conversion – not just the eleven points added to your next shot but the wonderful information of how to make a spare you haven’t even left, without having to miss it for real.

The same approach (pun intended) is true for all single pin spares. You’ll shoot the 4 as if it were the 4/9 or 4/10. You already know that you always shoot for the 4 and 7 pins, whether both pins are there or not. If you shoot the 4 as if it were the 4/9 or the 4/10 and you hit it in the face, you’ll know you need to move more to make either one of those spares. If you make the imaginary 4/9, you’ll know how to make the Greek Church.

Shoot the 6 as if it were the 6/7 or 6/7/10. This is also a great way to stop chopping the 6/10 spare. You’ll notice you almost never miss the 6/10 if the 7 is with it and in the very same game, chop it if the 7 pin isn’t there. This will also work for the 4/10 or 4/7/10. (I once had a spare ball that seemed to shrink up as it got to the corner just so it could miss the 6 and hit the 10!)
    Last edited by vdubtx; 10-14-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 0

I use plastic for my 10 pin spares and have struggled to an extent lately. My thumbhole on my spare ball feels slightly different and I often have problems releasing it early no matter how snug it is. Gonna have to get a new slug soon or I'm gonna go nuts.

Chats: 204

That's actually one of the rare Suzie Minshew articles I disagree with.

Her premise is that if you can hit a 10-pin and a 6-pin...you just "pretend" that you're shooting one of those and forget the other pin is there.

Now, in the case of a 2-8 or 6-9-10...maybe that makes sense. But I've chopped a LOT of 6-10s and 4-7s...and rarely would imagining other pins were there...would that have helped.

And I've never understood the idea of targeting the pins or reflection further down lane. That tends to be counter to the age old thinking that targeting the pins is detrimental to bowling. It's like the 1st or 2nd thing you learn about bowling as a kid, "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows".

I've also tried 2-point targeting...didn't work either...hard to find that sweet spot where you switch your eyes from one spot to the next without yanking your head up.

So, to answer the question of the OP...here are the things that have worked for me:

1) Plastic ball for all corner pins, 6-10s, 4-7s, 4-7-8s, and 6-9-10s.
    If you can get away with throwing one strike ball at your spares doing a 3-6-9 or 4-8-12 adjustment laterally...just realize that won't work forever.

2) Have a coach help you get lined up so for each single corner-pin...you know where to stand and what to aim at.

3) If you struggle...practice. Play low-ball...just shoot at corner pins for 1-6 games. You want to get to a point where it's not scary...it's simply routine...and you're confident.

4) If you have a tendency to miss for mental reasons...try to focus on something else other than hitting your mark. For me, I focus on my release. Even though it's a plastic ball and on fresh conditions it really doesn't matter what the axis tilt is...by focusing on the release instead of the shot...I actually 'trick' myself into not worrying about it.

My 2 cents...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I had a session with Susie Minshew last year and we discussed the exact thing of shooting at multi pin spares. She has an article on Bowling This Month that covers this.

Awesome advise. I was just sharing similar advise with a friend Monday night. He was making individual adjustments to shoot each spare individually and I advised him to watch the path of his first ball through the pins and where it fall off the pin deck. He noticed 1-3-5 and maybe 7 pin. I told him if the 5 pin were not there to deflect the ball it would cut the right side of the 8-pin instead, so a first ball can be used to pick up any of those pins, no adjustment necessary.(or vary little depending on the exact ball path).

This takes that info to a higher level. I just learned the value of practicing by throwing at pins that are not there. I have been trying it, throwing at a full rack to make the 2-8 and 3-9 double woods. now I can see working on the splits the same way.

Great advise.

Thanks
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

I know for the 3-10 split (very common for me) I just imagine the 6 still there and aiming directly at it. Works most of the time

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    And I've never understood the idea of targeting the pins or reflection further down lane. That tends to be counter to the age old thinking that targeting the pins is detrimental to bowling. It's like the 1st or 2nd thing you learn about bowling as a kid, "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows".
    I think your taking two different "targeting" ideas and confusing them together.

The old "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows" is not the same thing as "targeting" a certain pin or combination of pins in a spare leave to pick it up.

I might not quite say this well here but,

The "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows" had to do with the target bowlers were looking and aiming at. Coaches would tell bowlers who were "Pin bowlers" meaning those who looked at the pins to target them, to look at the arrows and target them. Because it was easier to hit a target 15' away from you than one 60' away. (though today instead of the arrows, more players have started targeting the breakpoint.)

While "targeting" a certain key pin (or a spot where a missing pin usually stands) or combination of pins in a spare leave to pick it up. Doesn't necessarily mean that's what your looking at, it just means that's the target you want to hit with the ball to pick up that spare.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-14-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post

I feel so stupid. I have been shooting the 4 and 6 pins as if the 9 and 7 were there yet move when the 6-10 or 4-7 were left. DUH! Definiitely a case of me over-thinking instead of KISS. Thanks for the slap to the back of the head.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I think your taking two different "targeting" ideas and confusing them together.

The old "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows" is not the same thing as "targeting" a certain pin or combination of pins in a spare leave to pick it up.

The "don't aim for the pins, aim for the arrows" had to do with the target bowlers were looking and aiming at. Coaches would tell bowlers who were "Pin bowlers" meaning those who looked at the pins to target them, to look at the arrows and target them. Because it was easier to hit a target 15' away from you than one 60' away. (though today instead of the arrows, more players have started targeting the breakpoint.)

While "targeting" a certain key pin (or a spot where a missing pin usually stands) or combination of pins in a spare leave to pick it up. Doesn't necessarily mean that's what your looking at, it just means that's the target you want to hit with the ball to pick up that spare.
    I figured it was because with a single pin, you don't have to worry about the angle you hit it at for carry.

Edit: I mean that if you're hooking the ball, you want to aim for a spot that is not in line with the pin you're shooting at. I suppose you could aim for the 3-pin or 6-pin or something but again, if you're "trying" to hit the 3 or 6 pin on your target that's probably counterproductive. Arrows give you an actual spot to aim for and hit.
    Last edited by mc_runner; 10-14-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

One thing I noticed with some of the anwers: "I stand at the far left dot...." Not all centers have the same number of dots on the approach. My home center has 7 (5 board, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35). Another house I go to only has the middle five.
    Sounds silly but I stand and target exact boards not dots or arrows. If you're aiming somewhere betweeen two arrows then that's a five in variance.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

There is often another factor involved in targeting strategies. Personally, I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Targeting at the arrows is impossible for me as by vision has not yet "come together" at the arrows. When I try to hit a target at the arrows, I miss by five boards. Two boards I can live with, but five boards is just way too uncomfortable. It was Joe Sloinski's article on left eye dominant bowlers that substantiated what I had come up with on my own: left eye dominant right handed bowers have to target much further down the lane to have the target mean anything at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast