Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your best tip on making 10 pin spares? Or 7 pin if you're a lefty.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

FWIW, this was a timely discussion for me--shot 100% on 7-pins last night and 92% overall single-pins (missed a 10-pin).

The bad? Just 73% overall spares. Pounded the pocket all night long and still managed just 522. One of the most frustrating nights on the lanes in a long time.

Cranker

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to try the aim at the 10 pin instead of a mark and I like the post about being left eye dominant because I am right handed and left eye dominant so going to try a few things with that as well.

Cranker

So I bowled tonight with some buddies and I think the tip that helped me the most was the left eye dominant thing. I started shooting all my spares with my right eye closed and I hit my mark every single time and I finished the night 5/5 with the 10 pin. Before I tried closing my eye I started out 1/4. I'm probably going to bowl again Sunday so I'm excited to see if it was a fluke. I may have to get one of those pirate eye patches. =P

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There is often another factor involved in targeting strategies. Personally, I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Targeting at the arrows is impossible for me as by vision has not yet "come together" at the arrows. When I try to hit a target at the arrows, I miss by five boards. Two boards I can live with, but five boards is just way too uncomfortable. It was Joe Sloinski's article on left eye dominant bowlers that substantiated what I had come up with on my own: left eye dominant right handed bowers have to target much further down the lane to have the target mean anything at all.
    Wait. Now I gotta close my eyes and bowl?? This sport is getting increasingly difficult.

I don't have to worry about it because I can't really see very well so if I target past the arrows I can't really see what the poo I'm looking at. I need to get new glasses. And it looks like I'm at the ripe and wonderful age where I need bifocals...because I keep having to take my glasses off to read stuff. It actually makes it a bit harder for me because I really struggle to see where the ball enters the hook and roll phases...my eyes just can't seem to see the ball's rotation change.

I target the dots simply because my brain tends to throw the object AT whatever I target (versus 'towards' whatever I target). So, if I "target" the arrows or breakpoint...I will automatically attempt to throw the ball through the air and get it to land on said target (loft to the arrows...MEGAloft to get it to the breakpoint). Targeting the dots forces me to set the ball down earlier.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Wait. Now I gotta close my eyes and bowl?? This sport is getting increasingly difficult.

I don't have to worry about it because I can't really see very well so if I target past the arrows I can't really see what the poo I'm looking at. I need to get new glasses. And it looks like I'm at the ripe and wonderful age where I need bifocals...because I keep having to take my glasses off to read stuff. It actually makes it a bit harder for me because I really struggle to see where the ball enters the hook and roll phases...my eyes just can't seem to see the ball's rotation change.

I target the dots simply because my brain tends to throw the object AT whatever I target (versus 'towards' whatever I target). So, if I "target" the arrows or breakpoint...I will automatically attempt to throw the ball through the air and get it to land on said target (loft to the arrows...MEGAloft to get it to the breakpoint). Targeting the dots forces me to set the ball down earlier.

I just found this thread from back in 2012 and Bowl1820 was kind enough to share a link to Joe Slowinski article. In the article it mentioned that closing the non dominant eye was least effective and that targeting at 39 feet was most effective so that will be something I work on next. While aiming with just one eye did help, it felt really awkward.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-handed-bowler

Chats: 204

After this weekend's tournament results...you can disregard everything I have ever said or thought about saying about spare shooting.

I'm actually thinking of a complete reboot to the "do it like Norm (and Iceman)" system.

But don't listen to that (above) either....

Cranker

Buy a spare ball, line up a consistent shot, repeat.

Chats: 55

Don't forget, some people realize a change in depth perception once they close one eye. The best thing to do is "focus" using one eye, the dominant eye. People with mono-vision do this and it is just a matter of training your brain to look at a distance mark with only the one eye. It will take some practice but will eventually be more comfortable than closing one eye.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123