Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your best tip on making 10 pin spares? Or 7 pin if you're a lefty.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default What is your best tip on making 10 pin spares? Or 7 pin if you're a lefty.

So what are you're best tips for making the dreaded 10 pin? I'm pretty inconsistent with it, some days I can make them all day and there are others where I just keep yanking them left and just missing. Overall I'm about 62% spare percentage on 10 pin, which I'd really like that to be over 80% so I'd like to hear what everyone does when they shoot the 10 pin.

Ringer

I'm a lefty and throw a plastic ball at 7-pins.

To target the 7-pin, I stand 6 boards right of the last dot on the right, targeting between the middle arrow and 3rd from right.

At release, I make sure my thumb is pointed directly on a straight line between my target and where I release the ball.

RH. Stand last dot target 3rd arrow. Break my wrist, index and pinky spread with fingers and thumb in straight line to target.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    So what are you're best tips for making the dreaded 10 pin? I'm pretty inconsistent with it, some days I can make them all day and there are others where I just keep yanking them left and just missing.
    "I'm pretty inconsistent" well then

The best tip?

Throw it straight and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.........................

Targeting, release changes, throwing it faster etc. all these things don't make you more consistent, practice does.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-14-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

One tip that helps me is walk towards the 10 pin. Don't keep your body/shoulder parallel to the lane but rotate it so your shoulders are in line with the 10 pin. It makes it so much more consistent.

Chats: 256

Best tip I have had to pick up the 10 pin was from Rob Mautner. His tip was to focus on the 10 pin(or 7 pin for lefty's) and target it instead of targeting an arrow or board on the lane. Once I changed that I have been much better. Prior to that I was in the high 80% mark, after I improved to a 94% conversion.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

My best tip is the one I got watching Nelson Burton Jr.'s "Tip of the Week" on a PBA telecast back in the late 70s: Shoot at the 10 pin on the first shot of each warm up frame. I realize that in some leagues it's expected that each bowler will only throw one ball and then let the next bowler shoot at a full rack. In those situations, when it's my turn I throw at corner pins until I'm comfortable hitting them.
    John

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

The best tip?

Throw it straight and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.........................

Targeting, release changes, throwing it faster etc. all these things don't make you more consistent, practice does.
    I agree nothing beats practice but I just wanted to hear how everyone approached it to see if there was anything I could incorporate and practice myself.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

The best tip?

I have to echo this one. I am still very inconsistent here as well. I walk straight up approx. board 39 with perfectly flat release through 3rd arrow. When I get it right it is so easy.

When I get it wrong......back to the basics. (did I let the ball swing? or did I push it down the lane? Did arm remain straight, elbow tight to the body? or did I bend elbow out. etc.

Many of us focus on finding the strike pocket, or getting high scores. How many of us just roll for corner pins? (Try playing a game of low ball. The object of the game? 20 pins in 10 frames. Roll first at the 10-pin, second ball at 7-pin.) (reverse for lefty, of course).

Or bowl in reverse. 10-pin first, then bowl the rest of the rack on second ball.
    Last edited by GeoLes; 10-14-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Best tip I have had to pick up the 10 pin was from Rob Mautner. His tip was to focus on the 10 pin(or 7 pin for lefty's) and target it instead of targeting an arrow or board on the lane. Once I changed that I have been much better. Prior to that I was in the high 80% mark, after I improved to a 94% conversion.
    ^^This is a great tip.

One thing I've had trouble with this season is the 4-7. I keep picking the 7 off somehow, and then when I adjust, I start picking off the 4. I'm less than 60% on the 4-7 this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast