Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insert/Feel Issue...

Chats: 0

Default Insert/Feel Issue...

I have been struggling with a feel issue between my strike and spare ball. Thumb aside, I have felt that that my fingers felt much looser of the spare ball than my strike ball and almost wondered if my former PSO put in a different size. I took my inserts out today and saw that they were in fact the same size (and brand/type). However, they fit much more snug into my strike ball and slide into the spare ball slightly easier. it would seem the snugger fit on the strike ball is compressing the insert more so than my spare ball. I then measured the actual cut diameter, knowing that the standard for my size is 31/32". They were close, but it appears as though the spare ball almost leans closer to 1". Do I try a smaller insert on my spare ball to see if I can get a closer feel? I am not using this PSO anymore (another story for another time) and will just change the inserts myself.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Both ring fingers have also been shimmed with tape-so this could also be an option. Just not sure I can add enough to get the same fit.
    Last edited by AlexNC; 10-16-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Image link error

Chats: 256

I know when I got a ball drilled at one shop, the inserts felt so tight. Took it to another shop and they discovered the hole from the drill was very slightly smaller than typical size. Our thought was maybe the drill bit was an older one so had "worn" down a bit and making the hole just a bit smaller. Once the shop drilled just a bit more out and put inserts back in, they were fine.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If the grips are the same size, the Difference in hole size could be do to them using A New/Sharp drill bit vs a old/worn bit.

You could try a slightly smaller size grip, Turbogrips come in 1/64" increments.

You could also try a shim.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks guys - think I'll try the tape first on my used inserts and see if I can get a similar feel before ordering my new ones.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post

Both ring fingers have also been shimmed with tape-so this could also be an option. Just not sure I can add enough to get the same fit.
    OMG were they "Shimmed" like that with tape to begin with?? who did that?? If you had to tape them up like that to get your size right, you got the wrong size inserts to begin with.

Usually shimming involves just sticking a small piece of something in between the insert wall and the ball on one side, not mummifying it with tape.

That one grip is a Turbo size 11, it has a outside diameter of 1 1/32" (I can't tell want the other is, but if it's 8.5 or higher they all have a outside diameter of 1 1/32" as well) so the drilled hole should be bigger than 31/32".

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 32

With workmanship like that I can't imagine why you aren't using him anymore. LOL
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Yeah, this is what I found when I removed them. They have a great reputation in the area but I always felt like I was second class there. It would take forever to get anything done and the last few times my stuff wasn't ready to be picked up when they said it would be done. I have kinda got the impression that if you aren't in their circle you won't get the time of day. It's unfortunate because I went out of my way to use this shop based upon the recommendation of a colleague of mine - a good 45-60 min. The pro-shop at my center is owned by the alley and is somewhat limited in inventory and coaching, so I had been reluctant to use it. But I have found the guys there to be more than helpful - so I plan on taking my business there from now on.

Re: Size 11 - it should be 11/32". The other is 23 or 23-32" . I'm not sure what the equivalent column is referencing (perhaps the Vise equivalent). And yes, my fingers are smallish When you order from bowlingball.com they list the turbo number and diameter together. I ordered an extra insert one size down to try on that ring finger that had the shim (was shimmed on the insert for both balls). Also ordered one size down for each insert in the spare ball that was too loose. We'll see in a few days if it feels better - sick of the feeling of the ball coming off my hand early every time I use the plastic spare ball.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post
    Re: Size 11 - it should be 11/32". The other is 23 or 23-32" .
    Okay makes more sense now, though it's not a 11/32"

Had to go look at the chart.

A Turbo Quad 23 is a 23/32" (Vise #5)

A Turbo Quad 11 is a 11/16" (Vise #4)

Bowlingball.com
    Insert Sizing

The manner in which insert sizes are listed differs between brands. Turbo marks the outside of the insert with the first number of the size of the insert. For example, 11 for 11/16 or size 4. Please follow the charts below in order to find your correct insert size.
    For Turbo Grips, if the outside of your insert says:

• 19 choose 01-19/32
    • 39 choose 015-39/64
    • 5 choose 02-5/8
    • 41 choose 025-41/64
    • 21 choose 03-21/32
    • 43 choose 035-43/64
    • 11 choose 04-11/16
    • 45 choose 045-45/64
    • 23 choose 05-23/32
    • 47 choose 055-47/64
    • 3 choose 06-3/4
    • 49 choose 065-49/64
    • 25 choose 07-25/32
    • 51 choose 075-51/64
    • 13 choose 08-13/16
    • 53 choose 085-53/64
    • 27 choose 09-27/32
    • 7 choose 10-7/8
    • 29 choose 11-29/32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast