Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pre-bowling

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Pacers are in this section of the USBC Playing Rules 2015-2016
    Chapter 2: General Playing Rules
    Page 43

107d. Pacers
    A pacer is a bowler who fills in to balance the rotation of the teams. The following shall apply
    to all pacers:
    1. Scores bowled do not count toward team totals nor are they included in the average records.
    2. Pacers are allowed, unless otherwise provided by league rule.
    3. Pacers who are USBC members are eligible for all USBC individual awards.

Whether or not Pacers could be counted towards a legal lineup was never a question.

And as long as a league allows pacing in the rules, there's nothing in the USBC rules that say you can't pace on your own team (assuming the situation presented itself). the only question would be the cost of and paying the lineage for the bowling (Which would either be payed to the league or the house directly).

That is not what that rule says and It has nothing to do with the group they pace with, it just says that if someone paces in a tournament. They can't enter the tournament later on or be a contestant in that tournament also. Unless the rules allow multiple participation.
    I was looking at a previous years rules but none the less, if a tournament player is not allowed to pace for a tournament he's entered in (unless multiple participation) then I would contend a league bowler could not pace for a team he bowls on, unless the league rules allow multiple participation.
    Rule 107 says multiple participation in a league is not allowed (unless otherwise provided by league rule)

It's the same concept, it just may not have ever come up so they have not added it to the rules.......
    Gray area's like this are why their are Lawyers....

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I was looking at a previous years rules but none the less, if a tournament player is not allowed to pace for a tournament he's entered in (unless multiple participation) then I would contend a league bowler could not pace for a team he bowls on, unless the league rules allow multiple participation.
    The pacer rule has been in the rule books for years, so most likely you just missed.

Having the contention is fine, But tournament rules are for tournaments not leagues. So If your on a league you use league rules.

Rule 107 says multiple participation in a league is not allowed (unless otherwise provided by league rule)
    Rule 107 doesn't say multiple participation in a league is not allowed. It says you can't compete on more than one team in the same league. (You can't bowl on two teams at the same time)

And has no bearing on whether someone is pacing on their own team.

Rule 107a. Competition Limited to One Team
    Under no conditions may a player bowl on more than one team in the same scheduled game. In
    addition, the following shall apply:

1. A player may not compete on more than one team in the same league for each of the regularly
    scheduled games in a series, unless otherwise provided by league rule.

2. When a team’s roster is equal to or less than the playing strength of the league, a member of that
    team cannot substitute on another team in the same league.
    3. A player on a team whose roster exceeds the playing strength of the league may bowl with other
    teams as substitutes provided there are no openings in their team lineup, unless the league rules
    state a roster member cannot bowl as a substitute on other teams.
    NOTE: Once a player records scores, whether prebowled, post bowled or at the regularly scheduled
    time, the player’s eligibility for that series has been exhausted. The posted scores must be
    utilized in figuring team and individual standings, unless declared null and void by the league
    board of directors.

It's the same concept, it just may not have ever come up so they have not added it to the rules.......
    Gray area's like this are why their are Lawyers....
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-26-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

"Rule 107 doesn't say multiple participation in a league is not allowed. It says you can't compete on more than one team in the same league. (You can't bowl on two teams at the same time)"

The rule does not use the term "Multiple participation" but the example and description of competing on more than one team fits the definition of multiple participation.

The specific term does not have to be included but rather an inclusion of multiple items can be covered under one umbrella.

For example is there a specific rule that says I can't yell yippity doo every time I roll a ball down the lane ? But yet the rules would include that as an annoyance and direct me to stop, but they can't point out a specific rule that addresses what exactly I yelled. So does the lack of the specific example mean there's not a rule and I can yell anything that's not specifically included in the rule.

As a result the declaration that if it doesn't specifically exclude an item in the rules then it is allowed is not necessarily true in every case.

The interpretation that if it doesn't specifically state an action is against the rules then it must be allowed is an issue with many rules / laws, since the original issue of pre-bowling has been answered I don't see any additional benefit in continuing to explore scenario's that are intended as work-arounds to allow bowlers to pre-bowl and then bowl again during league.
    Last edited by Tony; 10-26-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Agreed there is no additional benefit in continuing the discussion.

Note:
    The question was posed to the USBC and here is their response.

Question:
    If league rules allow pacing, Can a player who pre-bowled for their team come in and pace on their own team or another team?

Example:
    Player John is granted a Pre-Bowl and bowls and turns his scores in. Later he finds he can be there for league night and would like to bowl with his friends. Knowing his pre-bowled scores must be used, for win & Loses. He Asks if he can just pace on his team (He pays any needed lineage) since the league rules allow pacing.

USBC Response:

Dear *******

This is in reference to your e-mail of October 25, 2015.

There is no USBC Rule that would prohibit him from pacing.

So, it is up to the league as to whether or not they will allow him to pace or not.

If you have questions regarding this information, please feel free to contact me.

John Budnik
    Senior Rules Counselor
    Rules/Bonding

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thinking of pre-bowling this upcoming weekend. It's the Broncos-Packers game and I know for sure 3/4 of the team won't show up even though they will have it on the TV's in the alley. But I do want to bowl on fresh oil and if our opponent doesn't show up we can bowl quickly and be done by end of 1st quarter.

Now I know why this was a split season. 14 week season until December and then starting in January a 15 week season. I suspect the January league will have a lot more teams due to football season coming to an end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234