Thread: Slump and Coaching Help

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Slump and Coaching Help

I've been in one of the longest slumps ever with regards to my game. My average in the scratch league is a putrid 177, 3rd/4th lowest, and I haven't hit 600 yet.

My spare shooting, while not great, has generally improved (particularly single-pins/7-pins), however, I'm AFU otherwise.

I've tried, repeatedly, to contact the only coach in my area, however, he's never responded. Due to work commitments, I'm unable to travel very far on most any weekend right now.

Does anyone know of any coaches out there who would be willing to give a video assessment of my game? If so, I'd be interested in learning what all would be needed to make it happen. I don't expect this for free, either.

I'm growing increasingly frustrated. From February through the end of the winter league in April, I was averaging close to 190 (189 and change to be exact). I didn't have any 700s, but didn't have much below 550 and had a few in the 615-635 range. My high game was a clean 255 in a tournament during that time span.

This summer, it was unbearably hot in my center, so much so that I'll never bowl there in summer again. I have asthma issues, and it really got to me. I think I let it mess with my fundamentals, and I can't get it back no matter what I do.

I simply can't hit the same spot on my strike ball multiple times in a row. A lot of the time, I leave it left (I'm a lefty) due to timing issues, and then pull it via chicken wing when I "adjust". Even on spare balls, I occasionally get my timing so screwed up that I nearly fall or at least get way off balance.

Overall, I'm embarrassed about the way I'm throwing the ball and am looking for some helpful advice and am wondering if video coaching is an option.

Sorry to hear about your slump. I'm struggling right now as well and have been very frustrated lately, so I can sympathize. I was averaging over 200 all summer long on all sorts of fresh and burned up conditions. They changed the lane machine and I haven't hit 600 for a few weeks. I practiced 8 games Saturday and never strung together more than a double.

Fortunately for you, it appears you know you are having a timing issue. It sounds like you're self aware of what you are doing. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting coaching but it sounds like a lot of your issues you can work out at home with a bowling ball and a couch. Either that or just get some practice time at the lanes and a video camera worrying ONLY about your timing... If your only time trying to get out of a slump is when you are trying to bowl for score, its very hard to stay relaxed and not over correct etc..

Chats: 256

Jab, several web forums that have coaches active on them. I suggest bowlingchat.net. Post up a video of yourself from behind and from the side and the coaches there can help you out. At least give you a starting point and the go from there.

Slumps are never fun. We have all been there.

http://forum.bowlingchat.net/
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Jab, several web forums that have coaches active on them. I suggest bowlingchat.net. Post up a video of yourself from behind and from the side and the coaches there can help you out. At least give you a starting point and the go from there.

Slumps are never fun. We have all been there.

http://forum.bowlingchat.net/
    I second this Jim Merrell does some good work. I know Mo Pinel also usually does some work shops in the central Pa region.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Thanks all.

It's frustrating to slump, and made worse by basically saying to someone "hey, I'll give you my money if you give me a couple of hours of your time" only to hear crickets.

Several guys at my home alley have offered to help when I've talked about getting lessons, too. But, I haven't taken them up on it because the advice is usually "play more <insert place here>" instead of realizing my timing is the real issue.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Take the video behind and inline with the bowling shoulder. From the side get the entire approach. Angle should be from the gutter cap two lanes away following the bowler. Obviously this needs a second person which at times can be troublesome.
    You can post video here or e-mail me at bowlerz_score@yahoo.com or if you have Hudl technique or Coach's eye just email me your username and I can look at it there.

While timing is checked/verified from the side many things can contribute to it that usually can be seen from the back. Lastly, it's the bowler that is important to see, no the pins or even the ball reaction.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com