Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USBC Open Nationals changes to come for 2017 in Las Vegas

Chats: 256

Default USBC Open Nationals changes to come for 2017 in Las Vegas

USBC just released some news about upcoming changes to the 2017 Open Nationals:

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622325499

FAQ's

Highlights are:

1. There will now be 3 divisions. Classified, Standard and Regular. Aslan, you should be happy about this as you have brought this up in the past.

2. No live streams or lane oil pattern publications until after the event.

3. All balls will be weighed and checked for all events. Previously it was just for Team.

4. PBA members are allowed to bowl with some restrictions.

Very interested in these changes and also the recent changes about USBC employees not being able to win cash from the tournament or be on bowling ball companies staff's.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    USBC just released some news about upcoming changes to the 2017 Open Nationals:

http://bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622325499

FAQ's

Highlights are:

1. There will now be 3 divisions. Classified, Standard and Regular. Aslan, you should be happy about this as you have brought this up in the past.

2. No live streams or lane oil pattern publications until after the event.

3. All balls will be weighed and checked for all events. Previously it was just for Team.

4. PBA members are allowed to bowl with some restrictions.

Very interested in these changes and also the recent changes about USBC employees not being able to win cash from the tournament or be on bowling ball companies staff's.
    1) Good idea. Those divisions have been outdated for some time now. Even pretty good players at around 205-210 had no shot really.

2) This really is for the benefit of the teams that are very near but not the top. I wonder about the lanes made available for practice on one of the patterns as well as the bowlers journal which utilized the other.

3) Not sure why they ever stopped checking both times.

4) Pba members have been able to bowl just a limit of 2 per team and 1 per doubles. There was a time frame restriction in regards to national titles before. If they allow recent national event winners they should just go back to the old classic division they used in the 60's and 70's. This would allow everyone to bowl.

As far as i know the only guy working for the usbc at the time and doing really well was Chip Aki winning singles one year. Kind of dumb rules there fir usbc employees.

Chats: 204

Awesome! They even created a division for me!!

Assuming I don't raise my 207 to 210+ over the coming season.

The only thing I'd like to see in addition to these changes would be even more divisions, so that participants can bowl scratch (take handicap out of it altogether). The USBC already does this for their National BVL tournaments so it's not a big deal. If NOT...and they stick with the handicap format....I'd like to see them use composite averages instead of "highest average over the last 3 seasons". The reasoning is that a person really shouldn't be overly penalized for bowling at a house that has very easy conditions. Especially when they then get stuck with that average for 3 years. I'm a 170s bowler at most houses but because of ONE CENTER that I don't even plan on bowling at anymore after this season concludes...if I enter the Open in 2016, 2017, or 2018....I'm a 190-207 bowler. Even though at every house I've bowled at OTHER THAN that one...174 is my highest average.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

The only thing I'd like to see in addition to these changes would be even more divisions, so that participants can bowl scratch (take handicap out of it altogether). The USBC already does this for their National BVL tournaments so it's not a big deal.
    USBC Open Championships are not based on handicap scores. Your scores are all scratch regardless of division.
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

The only thing I'd like to see in addition to these changes would be even more divisions, so that participants can bowl scratch (take handicap out of it altogether). The USBC already does this for their National BVL tournaments so it's not a big deal. If NOT...and they stick with the handicap format....I'd like to see them use composite averages instead of "highest average over the last 3 seasons". The reasoning is that a person really shouldn't be overly penalized for bowling at a house that has very easy conditions. Especially when they then get stuck with that average for 3 years. I'm a 170s bowler at most houses but because of ONE CENTER that I don't even plan on bowling at anymore after this season concludes...if I enter the Open in 2016, 2017, or 2018....I'm a 190-207 bowler. Even though at every house I've bowled at OTHER THAN that one...174 is my highest average.
    This tournament claims to use a sport compliant pattern.

So maybe you're back to 140's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

No claims, it is Sport compliant.

About time. This has been an issue for years..

I agree on the composite average also. I had a lights out year 2 years ago and never before or since have I averaged that high but that is the average I am stuck using.

oh well. I go to this tourney as more of a fun thing rather than to win anyway Next year will be my first time to Reno and the year after will most likely be the first time I go to Vegas
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

Good point. Since it's a sport pattern, can I use my sport average??

Good point. Since it's a sport pattern, can I use my sport average??
    You can, but it will be adjusted using the Average scale. Then they use whatever is highest.

Bowlers who have both a USBC SPORT average and a STANDARD average from
    the same season shall use the higher of their Sport average (unadjusted) and
    Standard league average.
    • Any bowler who has only a SPORT average must use the adjusted Sport average,
    utilizing the USBC Average Adjustment Scale.

Chats: 0

Read over the FAQ. Thanks for posting vdubtx. May return to nationals in Vegas.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast