Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Span & Fit

Chats: 0

Definitely gonna bring up all my concerns with PSO. I only started bowling more seriously in May, so I attributed a lot of the discomfort I was having to my inexperience. I just don't feel comfortable with my current fit/feel. I always have a lot of tension in my fingers where they meet the hand and also on my thumb in about the same area, like none of the weight of the ball is distributed to any other part of my hand (aside from the index finger which also feels some of the weight. I can't feel the ball with my palm at all unless I am completely under the ball. Kinda feels like the ball is always In a constant fight to pull itself off my thumb no matter how snug I get it with tape. I really hope these problems aren't just me, and that there is some issue with my fit - the discomfort is really inhibiting my progress.
    Last edited by AlexNC; 10-30-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Keep trying shops until you find one that can fit the ball like a glove. I went to I think 7 in 10 years. All the other shops had my pitches off including lateral on my thumb as well as oval orientation. Most ovals are need to be at 45°, I'm at 40°. I now have a huge callous where your thumb irritation is. Since getting the pitches corrected the thumb has gone down some but still looks deformed. My fingers had round bumps on the top of the first knuckle. Doctor thought it was Rhumatoid arthritis. Finally got tested for it and it came back negative. Was at my Silver class and the instructor (Ron Hatfield) saw my fingers and knew what it was immediately. Too much finger pitch combined with degenerative arthritis caused a build up that had entrapped the tendons. Bowling has always been painful for me, some due to physical issues but most due to improper fit. With my fit correct bowling doesn't hurt my hand much and no more than anything else for the rest of my body. On a positive note, if not for the fit issue I wouldn't have bothered my doctor for the joint pain (common GWS ailment).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Keep trying shops until you find one that can fit the ball like a glove. I went to I think 7 in 10 years. All the other shops had my pitches off including lateral on my thumb as well as oval orientation. Most ovals are need to be at 45°, I'm at 40°. I now have a huge callous where your thumb irritation is. Since getting the pitches corrected the thumb has gone down some but still looks deformed. My fingers had round bumps on the top of the first knuckle. Doctor thought it was Rhumatoid arthritis. Finally got tested for it and it came back negative. Was at my Silver class and the instructor (Ron Hatfield) saw my fingers and knew what it was immediately. Too much finger pitch combined with degenerative arthritis caused a build up that had entrapped the tendons. Bowling has always been painful for me, some due to physical issues but most due to improper fit. With my fit correct bowling doesn't hurt my hand much and no more than anything else for the rest of my body. On a positive note, if not for the fit issue I wouldn't have bothered my doctor for the joint pain (common GWS ailment).
    I'm hopeful that this PSO will work out. I don't have a lot of choices in my area, but I will make some longer trips if need be. Maybe if I get crazy I will take my stuff with me next time I visit family in the Toledo, Ohio area - lot more choices considering also the proximity to Detroit. It would be nice though to have somewhere close with people who have seen me bowl, and also so I can go back if I want a change or things aren't working.

Makes me wonder though how many people here use the PSO at their own center or even area, and who goes a little farther to get what they need.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post
    Makes me wonder though how many people here use the PSO at their own center or even area, and who goes a little farther to get what they need.
    I use to go about 45 miles to the PSO till he retired from it. I go to the PSO at the center here now, he's pretty good. Been lucky we've had several good PSO's in the area.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I go 40 minutes away passing many pro shops along the way.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Got my span and pitches checked a couple of days ago. Finger pitches were fine, PSO wants to alter thumb pitch some. Also found span to be short. Going to drill new ball up with his measurements, and if I am more comfortable will go ahead and plug/redrill my other stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12