Thread: Shredding my finger!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Shredding my finger!

Just returned to bowling after a 6-year hiatus. After being back for a few weeks, I noticed that I'm literally splitting my middle finger down the right side of the nail (right handed). I'm a machinist, so it's not like my callouses went away. I have new lifts, which are the same lifts I've always used. Am I just getting old, or should I be looking at a different type of lift? I've been using a wedge all my adult life.

Chats: 256

Should probably get your fit checked by your pro shop.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Of course finding a competent shop may be harder than you think. Some assume you know nothing and will fit to what they think is correct even if it means the bowler will be in pain or develop callouses.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Just returned to bowling after a 6-year hiatus. After being back for a few weeks, I noticed that I'm literally splitting my middle finger down the right side of the nail (right handed). I'm a machinist, so it's not like my callouses went away. I have new lifts, which are the same lifts I've always used. Am I just getting old, or should I be looking at a different type of lift? I've been using a wedge all my adult life.
    Did you get your grip refit when you came back? if not your grip has probably changed since then and is most likely giving you a fit issue. Go and get your grip checked.

When you say "Lifts" are you referring to the finger inserts with the built in forward pitch (Powerlifts)? If so, they could be the problem, Too much forward pitch can cause issues on the back of the fingers.

With a good fitting grip you don't particularly need the "Lift" type inserts, the correct finger pitches for you can be drilled into the ball. Adding inserts with the "Lifts" can throw off those pitches then which can cause problems.

And since the problem is toward to the side of the finger also, most likely your Left or Right pitch is off too.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-31-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

The same thing seems to happen to me. After about a game or so, my middle finger will start to peel off to the right. It heals within a few days, but it's annoying. I got my ball fitted a few months ago, so I don't think it's a problem with fit (I trust the pro shop where I got my ball drilled).

Pin Crusher

1820,I did exactly that. My reputable pro shop here in Milwaukee looked, and the middle finger lift (I call them that because that's what they were called when they came out a bazillion years ago) had worn sharp around the 4 o'clock position. He said the same thing you did, and we switched it to a lesser wedge profile. I have to bowl 6 games on Tuesday, so I'll see then if it makes a difference. Thanks for the reply, though!
    Last edited by Timmyb; 10-31-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
    The same thing seems to happen to me. After about a game or so, my middle finger will start to peel off to the right. It heals within a few days, but it's annoying. I got my ball fitted a few months ago, so I don't think it's a problem with fit (I trust the pro shop where I got my ball drilled).

It's still a fit issue. And for the record grips and slugs count as fit issues.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
    As bill said that's still a fit issue. Either pitch or just a too tight grip.

A thing to note is that even with a trusted PSO doing the fitting, you may still need to have the fit tweaked after that to get it spot on.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

Tried the new insert tonight. Worked well, but think I may need to go one size smaller. It felt good in the store, but once I got on the lane, it seemed a bit loose. Got a little tearing, but no where near as bad as the past few weeks.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739