Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SST's

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default SST's

After 16 years in my current shoes, I think I might be ready for a new pair. My current shoes are SST 4's, and I've always loved them, but they aren't made anymore. Has anyone here had experience with the SST 8's? Looks like the same type of soles left to right, but that heel kind of scares me. I don't slide a heck of a lot, but no slide will put me out on the lane.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Being ambidextrous, I love SST8s. I use the H5 sawtooth heel on both shoes so I only need to switch soles when I switch hands. This heel gives a smooth brake at the end of a slide. Not too abrupt for my middle aged knees to take.

I haven't run in to an approach yet that forced me to switch to a different traction sole. Makes me wonder why those who are not ambidextrous woulld spend the extra money for SST8s or T.H.E. 9 , when an SST tank would work as well.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    After 16 years in my current shoes, I think I might be ready for a new pair. My current shoes are SST 4's, and I've always loved them, but they aren't made anymore. Has anyone here had experience with the SST 8's? Looks like the same type of soles left to right, but that heel kind of scares me. I don't slide a heck of a lot, but no slide will put me out on the lane.
    The main issue with the SST 8's are the possibility of the sole splitting on the traction shoe and if your a toe dragger the possibility of excessive wear and tear on the toe of the traction shoe.

The 9's are supposed to have addressed these issue, only time will tell though.

As for the soles & heels on the SST 8's, the soles & heels are changeable just change the soles & heels to adjust your slide to your liking.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler

I went from the sst5's to the sst8 shoes. I like them, have a year on them with no issues. Pads are cheaper for the 8's than the 9's, the 8's won't work with the 9's.

Pin Crusher

Nine's? Didn't see those anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    The main issue with the SST 8's are the possibility of the sole splitting on the traction shoe and if your a toe dragger the possibility of excessive wear and tear on the toe of the traction shoe.

The 9's are supposed to have addressed these issue, only time will tell though.

As for the soles & heels on the SST 8's, the soles & heels are changeable just change the soles & heels to adjust your slide to your liking.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Nine's? Didn't see those anywhere!
    The 9's (aka: SST 9) are the newest shoes out by Dexter and just came out back in August. They include some new design changes and address the issues the SST 8's had.

They are a bit more expensive ($190) and don't come with the extra soles & heels like the older SST's did. The extra soles must be bought separately and cost about $30 a piece, but the shoes still use the same heels that the old SST's did.

https://www.dexterbowling.com/the9.aspx

Brunswick makes a comparable shoe (Designed by Calloway) that has become very popular called the Brunswick TPU-X. In fact I just got some to replace my Dexter SST 7's.

http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/shoes/detail/tpu-x/

2015 Brunswick Shoe Catalog (more info in this)
    http://bowlerssupply.com/pdf/upload/...%20Catalog.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Pin Crusher

Do the 9's come with any soles? It looks like the 8's come with a variety. If I'm going to spend a bunch extra, you'd think they'd come with at least the most popular option.

Bowler

Do the 9's come with any soles? It looks like the 8's come with a variety. If I'm going to spend a bunch extra, you'd think they'd come with at least the most popular option.
    They don't come with the same variety that the sst8's came with. As mentioned above the soles are also more expensive, and the older Dexter soles will not work with the 9's

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Yes, They come with a slide and traction sole and slide and brake heel on the shoes. No extra ones though.
    (On Shoe (Removable): THS7 Slide Pad, H5 ST, THT2 Traction Pad, H2 UB )

I love my new TPU-X shoes (159$). Comfy and zero break-in time.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast