Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It may be time to hang it up...

He stated twice he has switched AWAY FROM a back up release TO A regular release.
    Last edited by fortheloveofbowling; 11-03-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Hey hey hey......No need to yell.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Since the facts are strewn throughout the posts, let me summarize what I understand them to be.

Was avg 150 throwing a backup ball.
    Got coaching help to throw a normal hook type ball
    After working on it for some time still averaging lower than 150 throwing a normal ball.

Seems pretty normal to take some time when trying to make such a change in style.
    It's actually pretty hard to relearn to bowl with a normal delivery, the whole targeting system when throwing backup is
    different than throwing a regular ball making this a difficult transition.
    I used to bowl with a girl that was a pretty good backup bowler averaging 170 + and when she decided she couldn't improve any more
    without changing over to a regular hook she started to make the transition.
    It ended up taking her a couple of years to erase all the habits of backup bowling and get back to the same average throwing a regular hook, but keep in mind she only had sporadic "coaching" from friends and almost gave up a couple of times.
    She had to fight the inclination to use her targeting from the backup game, her big break through was when she switched from a 16lb ball to a 13 / 14 lb ball temporarily to focus on making the release work correctly for her. She later moved back up to a 15lb (originally she had just plugged and drilled a backup ball.
    Just remember to forget everything you knew, was her slogan.

I am not a coach but I did sleep at a holiday inn one time good luck!

Chats: 0

It took me a LONG time to stop using habits from 30 years ago like coming across the top of the ball. I too started back bowling about 10 months ago. I bowled occasionally 30 years ago back when you really had to put hand on the ball to make it turn. I like you started out sub 300 series but now after 10 months I manage the 175 games. Some old habits are just harder to break. I bowl from a wheelchair so I figured coaching was out so I went the Bowling Academy video route. My game has gotten much better. Recently my PSO was suggesting coaching and I mentioned how would a coach teach someone in a wheel chair since I have no approach? He suggested a few friends of his that are coaches that might be able to help me out. So I think I will look into that. I would say to relax and enjoy the game. Everyone of us have bad days bowling the key is don't dwell on it. I have come from sub 100 games to 170s with a high of 231. I bowl 3 to 4 times a week and like Aslan I read and watch everything bowling. Will I be the next Walter Ray Williams Jr? Absolutely not but I sure can enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Jessiewoodard57; 11-03-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Makes sense now why his game has stagnated a bit. Changing from backup to regular is going to take a while.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

If you are athletically inclined, played baseball, football and basketball as a kid you might not have to spend much time to become a good bowler. If you were the last kid picked for the team it will take longer. If you are just an uncoordinated Klutz you will never get there.
    Would you rather be a 150 avg. bowler who looks silly throwing a backup ball or a 135-140 bowler who looks good but can't bowl a lick?

Chats: 32

With a drastic change in style I think it can be expected for the averages to remain lower for a while. Going from a backup to a more conventional release is a big adjustment. My oldest daughter had to make this transition and she still struggles with it at times. Keep at it make sure your getting practice in and eventually the light bulb will go off
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Stick with it. Unlearning bad habits is REALLY difficult. One thing that MIGHT be worth trying, is learning to bowl with the opposite hand. That way, you are starting from scratch. You'll have to start with a lighter ball, your steps will all be different, etc. I know a few who have done it for medical reasons and have been successful.

If that's not within reason, still stick with it. It's going to take time. The main thing is to stay relaxed, and NOT force it, which frustration tends to make us do. If you throw a bad shot, DON'T TRY TO CORRECT IT on the next shot. Instead, on the next shot, start over. Reset, and do what you know you are supposed to do. If you chase corrections all night, you'll never have a consistent shot.

The coach should be breaking your lessons down into very small chunks...footwork is usually first. That's the ONLY thing you should be concentrating on when you bowl...whatever the coach is trying to get you to learn, whatever that small chunk is.

And MAYBE, bowling in a league right now, isn't right for you either. The pressure of doing well could be impacting your progress. It's obviously impacting your fun. And if it's not fun, it really isn't worth doing. Life is too short.
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

If you are changing from throwing a backup-ball to a conventional hook, I can imagine a major step backwards and probably a long period of adjustment before it starts to feel comfortable. I think a different coach may be advisable. It's not a condemnation of your coach... but sometimes a different presentation, different words, or different examples may be all that is needed to help it click.

If I were you I would pick up a spare ball and work on rolling it straight. That way you aren't worrying about inconsistent releases due to your change in style, effecting your ability to score. You can work on just staying behind the ball and rolling it straight with good timing and a loose swing. Your spare rate will increase and that will help your scores, and when you are comfortable rolling it straight (and not back-up) you will have a blank canvas for moving towards a conventional hook with your strike ball.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123