Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It may be time to hang it up...

Thumbs down It may be time to hang it up...

I'm beginning to think I am just not cut out for this game. I have been taking lessons and only feel like I am getting worse. I have been taking lessons since last spring (of 2015). I am learning how to hook the ball properly (stroker style). It seems that once in a while, I have a decent time and can get in the upper 300's in a three-game series. Since changing over to this new style, I have never had a 400 series.

Tonight I bowled the worst effing series I probably have ever bowled in my life (300). This is after numerous lessons and instruction. I also can't hit spares with an s. The whole purpose of taking lessons is to get better, not suck more. It makes no sense to me that I am taking these lessons and just getting worse. What the eff! All I can say is that something is not working. I shouldn't be taking one step forward and ten steps back. I may just be overreacting. I don't know...

My coach knows what he's doing and knows what he's talking about, I just can't seem to put it all together.

I think it may be time to quit after this short season is done, but I haven't decided yet. I'm getting sick and effing tired of being stagnant, not improving, and regressing. I relax, and do everything my coach says, and it's still the same effing thing!

Or, am I over reacting? If so, how long of a timetable should I give it? What are your thoughts?

stop pressuring urself and have fun ,, its a game ,, u will improve ,, just have fun

Chats: 0

Bowling technique issues aside, I can't imagine it would be possible to make progress in your state of frustration. Have some patience and don't force it.

Sometimes you just have to relax, stop thinking, and throw the ball toward the pocket. Also always remember BIF bowling is fun !

Pin Crusher

Timetable? I've been at this for forty years, and I'm still learning every time I bowl. That's what makes this game great. You can't master it!

When you get lessons at first you will take a turn for the worse before you get better. Go slow, I found devoting 20 shots a week shooting at 7 pin if you a lefty or 10 pin if you a righty will be most productive in helping raising your average at the early stages. After my first two lessons I had a 292 series, I felt the same as you, but you hang in, you will find the game rewarding. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I don't know you so take this with a grain of salt. How often do you practice? And by that I mean real practice where you work on specific items and not necessarily bowling for score. Some drills came be duplicated at home also. Do you do anything to help improve your focus such as yoga or meditation? You said you're learning "stroker style" and your scores have gone down. What was your old style?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Might be a coaching issue. If you aren't improving (and I mean constant sub 400 series) than coach needs to realize this and change things up. His approach to coaching me be off or he is going too fast giving you too many things to work on. It's usually better to work on one aspect first and go from there.

You may think he knows what he is doing but if he can't get results than it may be time to move on and try someone else. Some coaches only know how to point out the errors but have no input on how to fix them.

Since you're taking lessons, that is a very positive step. You say that your coach knows what he's doing, etc., which is a good thing as well.
    I have taken many lessons with a qualified coach and I've followed his coaching as best as I can. I've found that I need a few weeks to practice some of the techniques on my own and then come back for more. My last few coaching sessions have focused basically on the same issues. I'm finally getting it into my game and the results are rewarding.
    You say that you're not putting it all together (whatever that means). Are you referring to your scores?
    If it is your scores, likely the quickest way to improve your scores is to pick up those spares. If you're rolling a straight ball, picking up spares should be part of your learning process. Understanding how to use the positioning of your feet, walking toward the foul line and using the dots and arrows is key. Perhaps your coach believes your abilities have improved enough for you to learn how to throw a hook and you should give it your best if that's the case.
    Bowling should be fun and a learning process for a good long time.
    I bowled for many years as a youngster without giving it that much thought and I did pretty well. Now that I'm much older and came back to the sport, I've learned a lot about the game in the last five years that I didn't consider earlier in my life. The game continues to be fun and I look forward to each week of leagues and practice. Hopefully it will be for you, too. Good luck!

Pin Crusher

1st off your profile says you are a 150 avg. bowler who throws a 15lb. backup ball. It doesn't say gender or size. How tall and how much you weigh. Some people think they should be able to get a few lessons and avg. 200. What are your goals? Are they realistic?
    I have known people who picked up bowling in a few yrs, others never got any better and paid coaches and practiced all the time. They were just uncoodinated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast