Thread: 12 Pound Ball

Default 12 Pound Ball

A guy on my team has been using a 15 lb ball all season, and, for whatever reason, his hand has been really sore using it. Tonight he switched to one of his kids' 12 lb balls, mainly to relieve the pain he was suffering from throwing the heavier ball. To everyone's surprise, he bowled his highest series of the year (540s) and his hand did not hurt at all. The ball was not drilled to fit him, although he had put new grips in that fit his fingers, and he said it was almost the right fit.

He seemed to carry strikes really well and had a lot of pin action. Just watching him bowl, we found it hard to believe it was a 12 pounder.

He came into the night with a 158 average and last year averaged 164, which was his first year back after many years off. When he bowled years ago, he averaged in the 180s.

He does put a lot on the ball, but we were all still surprised at his carry, and at the pin action he got with such a light ball. He has been thinking of going down to 14 lbs, to see if this helps him with the pain, but after tonight, he is going to use the 12 lb ball at least a couple more times, to see how he does.

Does this situation seem normal, to get such good carry with a light ball? He has an unusual style, but when he did get anywhere near the pocket, he did well.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Wait until they oil the lanes and check his carry.

They oil a couple hours before we bowl, so they had not been used much by when we started.

Chats: 32

My youngest daughter (11) averages 140 with a ten pound ball and carries just fine for bowling at that level. Are you going to carry a 220+ average bowling with one probably not but for a sub 600 series bowler won't make a difference.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I can't say anything about a 12lb ball but I did just this year drop from a 15 to 14 lb because of arm pain,I have had 3 surgeries on my right arm and don't care to have any more. My current average is the same now as my final average has been for the last 3 years, so I'm actually slightly ahead, I usually start the season a little lower and end up at 180 by the end of the season.

Chats: 55

By dropping to a more comfortable weight, you usually are more accurate and accuracy goes a long way in carry.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150