Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gummed up ball returned!

Chats: 0

Default Gummed up ball returned!

We tried a new "fun center" lanes that where just added to the Arcade section of the mall. They have 22 brand new lanes using AMF setters. The problem we encountered I would not expect from a brand new lane setup . Our balls where returning with black sticky bubblegum like patches all over the balls. It started out a spot here and there but mid way through the 2nd game it got so bad we packed it up and went home. At that point the balls where not reacting the way they should. Each throw they would do something entirely different due to the sticky spots contacting the lane surface. Cleaning them was a mess I had to use rubbing alcohol and a lot of elbow grease to remove the gummy mess then re polish each ball. Anyone have any Ideas why this was happening?
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It's heated up and cooled grease. usually it hits the ball return belts and makes a hell of a mess. Either from a messy mechanic when they lubed the equipment or a seal from a joint or motor is leaking.
    We have two pair that are like that. I replaced all the seals, motors and belts last season and it is still an issue. My hunch, which the owner disagrees with, is there is a build up in the subway system of the return.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

I recall bowing at a new house many years ago that had a similar problem the first few months
    it was kinda tar like and yes sticky

went away with some time, maybe new install goo haha
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Chats: 32

I've also seen white good that is sticky at one of my houses that I bowl at the owner says it happens when the belts are too tight and start to melt. Mess to get off.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

About a year ago, the house I bowl at purchased lanes and accelerators from a house that went belly up. The accelerators went in first. And they are a mess. Every ball thrown comes back with a patch of tar like stuff on it. And if it gets hung up somewhere, that tar gets spread across the ball. It takes ALOT of scrubbing to get that stuff off. The proshop owner uses Acetone. That seems like the only thing that takes it off without alot of work. But can you imagine the smell if every bowler was cleaning their ball with acetone, after every shot? He's selling cleaner and towels like crazy, the bowlers are pissed, and the house owner and proshop owner says there's nothing they can do about it. I have a Motiv Sniper spare ball. It's white and grey, at least it was. Now it's mostly black and white. It's ridiculous.
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ptnomore View Post
    The proshop owner uses Acetone.
    If I'm not mistaken it is against USBC rules to use Acetone on
    bowling balls as it changes the balls surface I think it makes it
    too soft.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it is against USBC rules to use Acetone on
    bowling balls as it changes the balls surface I think it makes it
    too soft.
    Correct. Acetone is on the banned for any use list. That being said a lot of shops use it because it does work extremely well.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

RE: PTNOMORE
    Sounds like a horrible situation, speaking as a non expert on bowling equipment but with a high level of experience on all sorts of other equipment, there's no doubt it wasn't originally designed to do that so there are probably things they can do , but don't want to because of cost or other reasons. If there were alternative bowling centers people would leave and they would have to do something, so I'm guessing there are not many options for the bowlers.

I would be afraid to use anything stronger then alcohol for fear it would ruin the reactive cover of modern bowling balls. Not to mention acetone can loosen super glue. I could just see throwing the ball and having my inserts and/or turbo thumb pop out.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

BTW I talked to the mechanic at the lanes (a good friend of mine) and he said he still needs to replace the belts on 1 - 10 so next time ask for lane 11 or higher. I am happy the are fixing the problem as they plan on starting leagues there in 2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast