Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping scores

Default keeping scores

Technology is making us dumb. As a child, I knew many phone numbers by heart. Now, I only know 1/8 or 1/16 that's on my contacts by heart.

One thing I didn't forget is how to keep score in bowling. And I was shocked to find that I was the only guy in our pair that I was sub'n in, that knew how to score. The monitors went out and we scored manually. Well, these 200 plus average bowlers, none of them knew how to score!?? I thought they were joking, but they were looking for someone who knew how to keep score. Finally, I spoke up and kept scores for our pair.

They talk RG, diff, coverstocks (btw, "hybrid" is just a fancy name to get people to buy more balls), and whatever...but they can't score???

Kind of sad if you ask me.

I used to earn $5 in the 80's keeping score when the adults bowled. I used that money to play pac-man and donkey kong. hahaa I had money for games and Mcdonald's lol.

I know 3 phone numbers. Mine, wife's, and work. That's life

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    I used to earn $5 in the 80's keeping score when the adults bowled. I used that money to play pac-man and donkey kong. hahaa I had money for games and Mcdonald's lol.
    LOL!

I used to do the same thing as my parents bowled leagues a couple nights a week.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

When I would be at my older sisters house, I'd sneak out and head to the alley after adult leagues to see if I can get paid. the guys would do some side action and rather drink than keep score.

WHen I get to the house, I'd lied about where I went, but smelling like smoke, I couldn't get away with it. lol the alley was just across the street.
    Last edited by fokai73; 11-10-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

They don't know how count marks either.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I remember in Physical Education in high school for a part of the school year we took a bus to local bowling alley and actually bowled and manually kept scores. That's how I got started knowing how the scores work

All the older guys where I bowl know how to keep score, some of them are pretty talented at calculating in their head the late frame scores and score combinations we need or they need to win the game. I would have never thought the young kids that bowl all the time were unable to figure a score......
    A few years back when all the scoring was manual we kept score for the whole night in roman numerals, that was a little bit more challenging ! The teams we were playing never knew if they were winning or losing ....
    Last edited by Tony; 11-10-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    I remember in Physical Education in high school for a part of the school year we took a bus to local bowling alley and actually bowled and manually kept scores. That's how I got started knowing how the scores work
    We did the same thing, it was a little 8 or 10 lane alley in the basement of an old strip mall, right underneath the "five and dime" store

I can easily calculate my max score (30 x frames remaining). Add pins if working on strike or spare.

But somehow have a hard time figuring out what I need in 10th frame to either win or lockout

That was one of the first things that I learned as a bowler. It amazes me when people look at the score to see what they got as their final score. Then they get all excited or whatever when they see their final score pop up. For casual bowlers, it doesn't shock me so much. But you would think that more people on league and school bowling would know how to keep score. I suppose technology fries the brain when it comes to simple math.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast