Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowler leaves after 1st game of league

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

The person who quit after one game may be a "dick" but that isn't against the rules. He could have stuck around and bowled a 96 the next game and went out to his pick up truck and got a gun and shot up the place. Anyone who gets that mad let them go home. We don't need someone like that in my league.

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Last night was week 11. If he had stuck around and played it through and averaged 140 all night his 210 would have dropped to 203.6 (204 rounded up).

As is, since he left after game 1 his average for the night was 187 and thus for the year it only dropped two pins down to 208. So a 4 pin difference (208-204) if he just kept playing.
    I am not a rule expert but I seem to recall that averages are not rounded up.

I would also wonder, are games where avg -10 are used are counted for average, I would think it's just games bowled that count.

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    The person who quit after one game may be a "dick" but that isn't against the rules. He could have stuck around and bowled a 96 the next game and went out to his pick up truck and got a gun and shot up the place. Anyone who gets that mad let them go home. We don't need someone like that in my league.
    I have bowled against a few guys, seems like every league has one or two, that are so pissed off on most nights that I wonder why they ever come back.
    There is a guy I bowled against last week that was pissed and cussing, kicking the ball return every single time he didn't get a strike, like every shot was perfect and he was robbed every time. We had a guy like that last year in another league, who was so bad that the league secretary told him after the banquet he couldn't come back.

I have bowling in leagues where they have players leave if they are not bowling well so they get the average -10 for other games. And I have seen leagues where a team will call in a player that has been posted as absent if they feel they are in danger of losing and that player will do better than the average -10. I think is called maximizing your chances. As far as I know there are no rules against it and I don't see how there could be. Maybe it just seems that way to me, but currently I bowl in a league where the official line up is 5 bowlers but each team has 7 or 8 members that rotate so this is a real possible scenario.

I thought about this thread last week when a friend of my mine on the opposing team wasn't doing too well. He's one of those 230+ guys that rarely has a bad night. After his first 2 shots he said something to the effect of "This is going to be one of those nights". He never did quite put it together but he didn't leave after the first game or anything crazy like that. I feel like if you get down on yourself so early, it's going to be even harder to focus and dig yourself out of that hole. But you should always keep going because you can always learn something, even while bowling poorly

Pin Crusher

Any time a bowler has to, or chooses to leave in the middle of a game they would get an absent score for the rest of that game. It would not count when figuring their avg. Most modern score keepers would refigure the score when you change a bowlers status from bowling to abs. Just do it before their next turn.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

For those interested:

If a bowler can not complete a game they have to show cause as to why, otherwise they get a 0 for each frame missed.

If they can show cause, they get 1/10 of their absentee score for each missed frame added to the actual score for frames they already bowled

Example for a 200 average bowler:

A leagues absentee score is the bowler’s average less 10pins, so the absentee score would be 190. 1/10 of 190 is 19, so the bowler would get 19 pins for each missed frame added to the actual score for frames they bowled.

So say they only bowled the first 5 frames and had a score of 60 at that point. For the missed last 5 frames, they would get 95 (19X5) added to the 60 for a game score of 155.

This is covered by Rule 108 – Failure to Complete Game

It shows your team is probably better off having you completing the game (if you can) even if you are bowling bad, you can then quit after the game ends if you have to.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-05-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

OK I can't complete the game because I have a migraine headache. I feel sick to my stomach and feel like I might throw up on the approach. Do they have to bring a note from their dr.?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    OK I can't complete the game because I have a migraine headache. I feel sick to my stomach and feel like I might throw up on the approach. Do they have to bring a note from their dr.?
    If there's doubt about the reason a bowler left the game and someone wanted to argue the point, then it's up to the league board of directors to decide if the bowler had cause or not (rule 108b)

So you never know, a Dr.'s note might conceivably factor into it. So puking on the approach might be a way to cover yourself just in case.

In the real world though, nobody will care why a bowler left (Unless their in a real hardcore league and there are some. A house in another county here years back, had a list posted on the wall with the names of people who violated rules ).

They will either think you had a good reason or you were just being crybaby about bowling bad and you'll get your score anyway.

The thing is just to make sure they use the proper score and not just give them their regular absent score.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

I would like to see what USBC says about a dr. note.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast