Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Benchmark ball? Then what?

Default Benchmark ball? Then what?

Reading something that Rob wrote in another thread about watching Senior Pot Bowlers stuck me in the side.

One conversation that I'm CONSTANTLY having with an older MUCH more experienced bowler on my team, is about correct ball changes, and the impact of the occasional high scoring game has on what you are seeing the ball do.

I don't have enough experience to see or notice the differences in my ball's skid, rotation or drive through the pins to make the correct decision about ball choice all the time.

We struggle with changing oil types, changing patterns, the types of bowlers and their equipment that we bowl against and the affect they have on the lane. ALL of the old guys and even some of the hard headed 210+ average younger house bowlers curse the "oil" as being inconsistant, non-existant, crappy machine, crappy machine operator, etc. I laugh at it, and do my best to adjust. I just don't know what I'm seeing sometimes, or how to adjust to it. Sometimes I make a good decision, and other times, I waste a frame or two.

Lately, I have noticed that what my teammate thinks is High Volume, is actually light to Medium volume, but a longer length. I noticed that because of the soft hits and weak motion I get with my skid/flip aggressive equipment. And when I "ball down" to my polished pearl (Nail Smoke and Fire), the backend movement is much stronger and controllable. I totally see how the shot masks problems. That has hindered me making better decisions in the past, but I feel like I'm gaining on it.

My teammates however, consistantly struggles with over under, "bad hand position", fast/slow foot speed, etc, one insisting on throwing his Mutant Cell as deep into the set as his frustration level will allow, until that ball gets lofted to the concrete deck in the back where he keeps his bag. I really don't know how that ball doesn't have a square side on it yet. So, he'll ball down to the Hy-Road, maybe even his Frantic, but if he throws just ONE bad ball, pulls it left, leaves a ringinig 10, a split, whatever, out comes the Mutant Cell again.

This team is killing me. I'm the youngest on the team by 20 years. It's a high dollar Mens money league with a 197 Average Mens. Seems like at least (1) 300 is thrown every week. But it's fairly common for the bowlers to throw a 300, and tank the rest of the series and sometimes for weeks to come. My teamates all have the one ball that "works at the other house", stand on 20, throw over 10 target system, and will NOT move, although they SWEAR that they do. Just makes me shake my head.

Anyhow, for me, the 195-200 avg house bowler, what are some triggers, or signs that the ball isn't skidding in the "high volume of oil", but instead burning up, or vice versa? Some of the higher average bowlers talk about a "wiggle" that they see. I don't see it. What the hell is that? Some use the remaining pins on the deck after what they think was a good shot as a deciding factor in a ball change. Some of it I get, have read about, etc, But I swear I've heard more old wive's tails on this team than I did growing up on the farm with my grandparents.

Is there any help other than experience, alot of time with a coach, etc? 15mph, average revs, nothing spectacular, still tryiing to keep tabs on my timing and loose arm swing.

I'd LOVE it if someone that knew what the hell my ball was doing, would tell me. Instead, I get the usual occasional "don't drop your shoulder", or "you're turning your wrist", or "slow down your feet". That shtuff I know. I know it when I do it wrong. Except for the shoulder drop one. That one still makes me laugh. I have spent quite a bit of time with a coach to get my form under control.

Now I need to know what the heck I'm seeing after the ball leaves my hand.
    Last edited by Ptnomore; 11-25-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

Chats: 0

Don't worry about what your teammates do as far as changing balls or moving their feet. Just watch their shots and yours and watch the ball shape and where the balls exit the deck. Start with whatever ball you like, then go stronger or weaker as needed. Just know a "stronger" ball is one that reacts to the lane the soonest. A weaker ball doesn't mean it doesn't hook a lot. It just means it reads the lane much later before it hooks.

Pin Crusher

I'm a guy who doesn't flop around from ball to ball. I grew up in an age when you didn't have 4-ball bowling bags, and the only two ball bags looked like a mutant briefcase. I think it's served my game well over the years to be able to bowl with only two pieces, one that hooks, and one that doesn't. That being said, here's what I do.

First, be a student. Pay attention to what's going on with the other guys on your lanes, especially the ones who bowl like you. One of the best learning tools is to watch other peoples mistakes! Next, watch your own shots. I know a lot of guys who throw an errant shot, and spin around in disgust, only to miss something the ball did right once they turned around. That's a tough one, though. It's real hard to watch your own ball reaction, because that sometimes takes your attention away from the actual act, and then you make stupid mistakes. It really does take practice to watch yourself bowl. And be proactive! If your ball starts coming up high, there was most likely a sign one or two shots earlier that would key you to changing conditions (yeah, I know. Hindsight....). This also falls under "watch the other guys". Don't be so quick to change equipment. I see a lot of kids in my league make three or four ball changes a night, and then ***** that they can't hold a line. Shocker....

Look, I'm no pro. I'm just a guy who's been at this for 40+ years, and has learned a few dirty tricks along the way. Take that for what it's worth.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

The single most important thing for you to learn to do is to watch the ball go through the pins. It's kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears: if your ball hits the pocket and deflects to the right, it's probably burning up, if it hits the pocket and keeps going to the left, it's probably too strong for the line you're playing, and if it hits the pocket and goes straight back between the eight pin and the nine pin, it's just right!

Pin Crusher

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The single most important thing for you to learn to do is to watch the ball go through the pins. It's kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears: if your ball hits the pocket and deflects to the right, it's probably burning up, if it hits the pocket and keeps going to the left, it's probably too strong for the line you're playing, and if it hits the pocket and goes straight back between the eight pin and the nine pin, it's just right!
    Amen!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Good tips. Actually one of the best ones I've read so far

Cranker

This is all you need to know - keep it simple!

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by dnhoffman View Post
    This is all you need to know - keep it simple!
    This, this, absolutely this. Don't try to over-analyze, watch the ball as it exits the pin deck after hitting pocket and you can make adjustments based off of that.

Other key thing is to know what each ball in your arsenal does for you on various lane conditions/surfaces.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Thanks Rob for the simple explanation going to have to remember this
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

I love this.. but what does that translate into in terms of changes?
    1) If it deflects you may be able to "ball down" to prevent it from burning up. Or I would assume, move into more oil to conserve energy.
    2) If it keeps going left through the pocket then... ? Move left again to increase the angle? Move right to get out of the oil sooner and burn off some energy? Move right and get into something with a weaker core? Change the breakpoint left to STAY in the oil?

I'm confused about what to do when my ball drives through too much and I start leaving 4-9 splits. I seem to get stuck between 4-9 splits.. move a little left and then get 2-8-10. Should I get into something with less flare at that point?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast