Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting back to basics

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default getting back to basics

I've been slumping for the last 4-6 weeks and last Weds my league was off so I got some buddies to go bowling with me that night. The center was pretty busy with lots of college kids back from school for Thanksgiving and the lane next to us had some college kids bowling and trying to hook house balls. Anyway, during the night one of the kids asked me what the secret is to hooking a ball. Without going into the whole timing, pendulum arm swing, I just simply told him a quarter wrist turn on the release and it has nothing to do with yanking your arm across your body like most beginners do. That is when a lightbulb went off, I haven't been doing a quarter wrist turn. I've been muscling the ball a little and doing more of a suitcase release.

So now my next three shots, I focus on releasing properly and I get 3 straight strikes. My ball motion is better and my pin carry is back. I bowl a 205 - 197 -215 my next 3 games. I think my problem was that today's equipment is so aggressive that even if you don't release it properly, the ball will still hook and I developed some bad habits and my release got lazy.

This reminded me of my younger days, I used to play semi-competitive basketball and I rarely went into a prolonged shooting slump because whenever I did slump. I would practice free throws to get make sure I was releasing the ball properly and my mechanics were sound. I think for me, I need to do the same with bowling and come up with a drill to simulate free throws. I was thinking of practicing with my Storm Mix spare ball. My thought is with the Mix, since it's a low flare ball and drilled as a spare ball, I would need to release it properly to get it to hook.

Chats: 10

Every year it seems about this time or so I have a big slump. Sure enough for about a month I couldn't do anything right. My problem was timing. And I was also throwing to fast. I slowed it down and been doing better he past month or so.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I was thinking of practicing with my Storm Mix spare ball. My thought is with the Mix, since it's a low flare ball and drilled as a spare ball, I would need to release it properly to get it to hook.
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I was thinking of practicing with my Storm Mix spare ball. My thought is with the Mix, since it's a low flare ball and drilled as a spare ball, I would need to release it properly to get it to hook.
    Going to a spare ball is a very good idea, but I think you are doing it for the wrong reason. The single most common error that I see in the bowlers that I coach is that they don't understand that with powerful modern balls, you don't have to make them hook. They hook all by themselves, and trying to get them to hook actually results in a loss of power. Practice with your spare ball, but let it go straight without doing anything with it. Then pick up your strike ball and throw it the same way. I think that you'll be very happily surprised at the result.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Going to a spare ball is a very good idea, but I think you are doing it for the wrong reason. The single most common error that I see in the bowlers that I coach is that they don't understand that with powerful modern balls, you don't have to make them hook. They hook all by themselves, and trying to get them to hook actually results in a loss of power. Practice with your spare ball, but let it go straight without doing anything with it. Then pick up your strike ball and throw it the same way. I think that you'll be very happily surprised at the result.
    Ok I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm going to see if my teammate that is currently slumping would be willing to try that...and believe what he sees. Like everything else, I'm sure they'll be a reason as to why he can't bowl like that all the time. I'm going to try it on Friday night with him.
    Current THS Anvilane average 198. High Game: 279 Series: 749
    Current bag: Brunswick Wicked Siege, Hammer Arson Hybrid, Brunswick LT-48, Motiv Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Ptnomore View Post
    I'm going to see if my teammate that is currently slumping would be willing to try that...and believe what he sees. Like everything else, I'm sure they'll be a reason as to why he can't bowl like that all the time. I'm going to try it on Friday night with him.
    The real challenge that you have is getting him to believe that his strike ball will hook without him try to "make it hook."

I bowl in a Wednesday league too but I do like going to the alley by myself or with a few friends on a random day just to practice and work on my motion. I find the stress of the league makes on the fly adjustments for me difficult.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty651 View Post
    I bowl in a Wednesday league too but I do like going to the alley by myself or with a few friends on a random day just to practice and work on my motion. I find the stress of the league makes on the fly adjustments for me difficult.
    I usually bowl with my buddies after my league because my center has a great late night special on Weds. $8 all you can bowl after 9PM. Anyway, I'm happy to say I broke out of the slump this past Wednesday and posted a respectable 639 series.

I too need to go back to basics. I have been trying to force the ball lately and the scores have been looking shabby. Yes it does an impressive hook but the carry has been suffering.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast