Thread: Need Help Bowling with arthritis

Default Need Help Bowling with arthritis

I have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. It started in my thumbs and I couldn't bowl for awhile. I can't straighten my thumbs, so it is hard to get my thumb into the ball and as a result it is difficult to hold onto my ball. How do others with this condition deal with this? What technique will help me get back into my old, pre-RA average? Thanks!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I don't have RA but my right thumb is a little crooked from an old basketball injury so my thumbhole has to be cut in an oval and pitched a certain way for it to be comfortable for me. I would suggest speaking with your local pro shop and maybe they can do something with the span and pitches to accommodate your thumb. Good luck with your RA.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

A option for those who have conditions that prevent then from holding a ball normally is the ball with the retractable handle.

There are a couple of companies that make them and they are USBC approved for competition.

The bowling ball is made of urethane so it is stronger and can hold up better than the plastic balls in lighter weights. The handles and screws are made of a special nylon composite material.

There's a lady my league that uses one.

This one is made by innovative bowling

http://shop.innovativebowling.com/Re...Ball-TJ-HB.htm

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

First, if not already, go back to your driller and tell him/her what you found out about your hand. He/she may need to recheck you grip to ease the stress in your hand.

But if it's that severe, then the innovative product in the video might be your answer too.