Thread: PBA Tour: 1 Game final vs 3 Game Series

Default PBA Tour: 1 Game final vs 3 Game Series

Bowling is all about repeatability and ability to adjust to lane/oil conditions.

I understand the qualifiers there are a lot of games. Usually the cream rises to the top.

I also understand the stepladder finals setup is nice and great for TV. But I would prefer the championship games be settled with 3 game series vs 1 take all. For TV it may not work as it will be very repetitive for to determine a winner I think 3 game series should decide the champion.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

What I used to think was totally unfair was bowling the qualifying in a center then moving to a different setting for the finals with lanes that were not the same.

Chats: 204

As much as I personally think that would make it more fair; given the trends in bowling towards new scoring and 3-4 people bowling one game to move on to the finals...it would be a big step in the opposite direction.

And I'd prefer a standard stepladder finals with standard scoring to some of the new ideas that are being tried.

And remember, the 1-game format rewards the bowlers that have done well over many games of qualifying. So whoever wins, they didn't just win one game...they performed at an amazing level over the course of 2-6 days.

Personally, I'd like to see each game in the stepladder finals bowled on freshly oiled lanes with no practice between games. As it stands now, the tournament leader is at a distinct disadvantage to the winner of the semi-final game.

While I'll agree it would be more fair & consistant, it would be less attractive to the general television audience. Consider how the major televised sports are doing everything in their power to keep things moving along. I think the best comparison might be baseball, which like bowling has suffered a general decline in popularity compared to years past - though not as much as bowling. They are trying to increase the pace of the game as it is harder to keep a viewer interested or committed for an extended period of time.

I will agree the separate lanes for the final are somewhat silly, and I'm not sure it does anything for the tv audience anyways. In my mind it would resonate more with people to see the best of the best bowling on the same kind of lanes/house they bowl at (albeit not the same oil etc). Just my two cents.

Chats: 204

Yeah. Baseball is brutal to watch on TV. Live, the games go by rather quickly...but on TV...it's like 4 hours.

Pin Crusher

I would never watch any sport on TV live. I DVR everything and skip all the commercials and dull talk. Base ball like that is ok. Now going to a college football game that is televised is terrible. With all the TV break and timeouts it takes forever and you are just waiting all the time. Next Sunday set your DVR go eat lunch then take an hour nap. Then watch the game and enjoy it. Most of the announcers are terrible anyway. Once the tackle is made skip to the next snap.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see each game in the stepladder finals bowled on freshly oiled lanes with no practice between games. As it stands now, the tournament leader is at a distinct disadvantage to the winner of the semi-final game.
    I agree 100% ...We are in a Tuesday night league the bowls right after an afternoon league so we get what left over after they are done. Before they started the afternoon league we use to get a freshly oiled pair.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I would never watch any sport on TV live. I DVR everything and skip all the commercials and dull talk. Base ball like that is ok. Now going to a college football game that is televised is terrible. With all the TV break and timeouts it takes forever and you are just waiting all the time. Next Sunday set your DVR go eat lunch then take an hour nap. Then watch the game and enjoy it. Most of the announcers are terrible anyway. Once the tackle is made skip to the next snap.
    I'm the exact opposite. I DVR everything else (reality tv, movies, etc). Sports I have to watch live. I never record any sporting event except bowling since there won't be any spoilers as no one else mentions it (SportsCenter, etc).

Pin Crusher

I have a pause button on the cable box that let me pause for about 25 minutes. I can then go to the other band and watch something I have saved like poker for 20 minutes then go back and catch up on the game. I almost never watch a commercial. I can watch two different news cast at the same time. Never have to watch any thing about drugs fast food or cars. Just wait until all the political crap really gets started.