Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "there" or "their"

I believe it's the fault of the so called smart phones that use the words in the wrong context and causing people to go into a backwards learning curve. I know after I have typed it that it's wrong but just too damn lazy to correct it as a lot of others are too damn lazy also, Lol

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I don't know a single person who has used Algebra since having to learn it in High School.
    You must be joking ...?

I would be more willing to bet that every single person you know has used algebra.

Have you ever figured out your hourly and weekly pay, done landscaping, done painting, or figured out how much fertilizer to put on the lawn.

How about figuring out what you might earn on investments or interest.

Do you know anyone who is a bookkeeper, accountant, banker, engineer, worked in sales or marketing and many other jobs.

Then you know someone that has been using algebra ...

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Math into, and, times and take away.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You must be joking ...?

I would be more willing to bet that every single person you know has used algebra.

Have you ever figured out your hourly and weekly pay, done landscaping, done painting, or figured out how much fertilizer to put on the lawn.

How about figuring out what you might earn on investments or interest.

Do you know anyone who is a bookkeeper, accountant, banker, engineer, worked in sales or marketing and many other jobs.

Then you know someone that has been using algebra ...
    Your first examples are basic arithmetic. As investment income or interest I would guess most just use an on-line calculator.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Your first examples are basic arithmetic. As investment income or interest I would guess most just use an on-line calculator.
    I may not have included enough information, calculating payroll including taxes and withholding uses algebraic formula's.

When landscape architects design sites they typically use algebraic formula's.

Algebra, by the dictionary's definition, is essentially abstract arithmetic, letters and symbols representing relationships between groups, sets, matrices or fields. It's a way to find a piece to a puzzle using the pieces you already have in place.

Many of the basic problem solving skills people use are based on algebra. Breaking down a problem and looking at another way to solve it is an algebraic type function. Hence people use algebra without even know they were using it.
    Probabilities is considered an algebra function, people use this all the time to decide things, even if all the calculations are done in their head.

When I was in school, I could never get how to figure out percentages until I took Algebra. To this day, I use algebra to figure out percentages and a lot of other things for that matter. To me, Algebra makes perfect sense of a lot of things. Now, Trigonometry.... that's a different animal! LOL

Pin Crusher

Rob show me how to figure out percentages using algebra please. Isn't it just basic math? Don't they teach kids their multiplication tables anymore? I very seldom do any math that I can't do in my head. Or on a $5 Kmart calculator.

Even though we may not think of some of the daily tasks as algebra, they still are. The difference between algebra and arithmetic lies in the use of abstractions, like the symbols "x" or "p". This as opposed to writing out words and such.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post

Even though we may not think of some of the daily tasks as algebra, they still are. The difference between algebra and arithmetic lies in the use of abstractions, like the symbols "x" or "p". This as opposed to writing out words and such.
    I should add, its not like I am thinking of solving for P when I find a percentage either.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Pin Crusher

So if I have 3 quarters that is 75% of a dollar?
    Use your alg. to figure this out
    Tickets for a show are 1o cents for kids, 2 dollars for women and 5 dollars for men
    How many men, women and kids went to the show if the ticket sales were $100?

If you have 50 coins in your pocket equal a dollar what are the coins? 2 answers.
    Last edited by fordman1; 02-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast