Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup ball release

Default Backup ball release

I think I want to learn how to throw the backup ball especially at the 10 pin.

How easy could one learn this release and be consistent with it?

Will it ruin my consistency as it is total opposite of what a normal release is?

Any chance I will wear down or tear muscles/tendons?

Chats: 32

How easy could one learn this release and be consistent with it?
    I can do it rather easily but my accuracy is a little more suspect with it than my normal release. I've tested it out I'm about 85% with a normal release and about 75% with the back up but in some of my wood lane houses in open bowling the lanes are so dry unless you can hit 20 mph with the spare ball your going to hook around the 10 even with plastic if you have any hand at all.

Will it ruin my consistency as it is total opposite of what a normal release is?
    Not really it also depends on how you throw the backup. The backup ball that you may be familiar with is the backup that was featured by a lot of female (even pros) bowlers in the 80's which is done by the elbow coming inward during the swing (the ball actually hooks right). Male physiology doesn't blend well with that and if you try it your going to develop an injury and bad habits.

The Norm Duke method which you can get more info on youtube features keeping the hand on the inside of the ball (which is a good thing to learn anyway) and simply brining your fingers through the inside of the ball instead of around the outside of the ball (best way I can describe it anyway). So this method in my opinion promotes good habits and won't injure you. Don't expect this ball to hook left to right though it just makes the ball roll straight with very little rotation.

Hope it helps
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Yeah, not looking to torque the elbow. May just try the subtle Norm Duke version

Learning a back-up ball release is a good idea as it will help you to stay behind the ball with your "regular" release. DO NOT, however, think that it will replace the need for a plastic spare ball. There is a reason that 99.9% of the top bowlers in the world throw plastic at spares, and it's not because they make spare shooting more difficult.

i myself throw a back up ball for the 10 pin, you can learn anything if you just work hard at it if you want to do it bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll & Hyde View Post
    i myself throw a back up ball for the 10 pin, you can learn anything if you just work hard at it if you want to do it bad enough.
    I bet you've been doing it since the pre-modern era. Old habits die very hard. Every minute that you spend working hard at throwing a back up ball, is a minute that you are not spending working on something that might actually improve your game.

Chats: 0

This reminds me of a funny shot I made in practice . I was practicing with my teammate and her girls the other day when I left a 2,4 and 10 split I told her this is not league in league but watch this. Now all of my balls are drilled for my right hand but I threw my Sinister left hand and took the split out perfectly. I would not want to try left unless I had to as I think it would confuse me on my regular release.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Chats: 0

I sometimes use a back-up ball for 10 pins, but only if I'm have a really off night throwing straight at it. I will however use a back-up to try to pick up certain splits, like a 2-4-10 or something similar.

Chats: 10

Why not stick or get a plastic ball? If using the back up ball for mainly the 10 pin, why add a new release when you can use your normal release with the plastic ball? I would think that if I used a back up ball and then start to use it for other shots, it would screw up my game.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Not everyone can throw back up ball. Either they are doing it wrong, or their anatomy required to perform this release doesn't have the flexibility or range of motion to do it. Just like tucking in the pinky, not everyone can do it.

Just recently I've been working on my game, mainly on my swing and release caused by bad footwork. Anyway, not to drag my reply, learning the back up release has its benefits. It'll help with your strike ball release if you turn your hand early like I have been doing. It's a great drill. Also, it can be used for 2,8,10 splits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast