Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leagues and getting the word out

Default Leagues and getting the word out

Is it just me or do bowling centers do a **** poor job of advertising their leagues.

All they do is leave flyers at the center or haphazardly mention it when you come in to play games.

I'm in a league now. That means they have my email. They probably have an email subscriber list. So far I have not received any emails regarding upcoming leagues. Yes, I'm in one of your leagues but may be interested in signing up for another one.

But I guess this is the AMF business model. I've received countless emails regarding parties, late night specials, etc. But nothing on leagues.

And there isn't even a sign up form online. There is only a "I'm Interested" link that sends an email to the local center.

There should be a way to look up all leagues and league details (time, cost, length, etc) and give bowlers ability to sign up instantly online.

Chats: 32

It's not just you. Most centers and leagues are so outdated on their advertising efforts that the 1950's look modern.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 23

Yup it is pretty bad. For someone who is there 3 nights a week I pay attention now. But unless you go looking for it, the information will never find you by chance.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Chats: 204

Hello Bowlmor.

Bowlmor is the harbinger of death to bowling centers. They bought a ton of AMF houses and realized they could keep the profitable ones open and sell the ones where the land is valuable and owned by the center. It was such a profitable idea, they bought Brunswick centers shortly thereafter and adopted the same model:

Step 1: Limit hours (forces out daytime/senior leagues).
    Step 2: Replace staff. Emphasize lighter staffing, get rid of older staff and anyone currently getting benefits it at all possible.
    Step 3: Improve aesthetics and entertainment (bar, liquor, etc..).

And I totally agree on the league thing. Most of the time you can go to a website and try to find a league on a day that'll work...maybe even look at the scoresheets to see if it's a good fit. But AMF completely ruined that by making it a corporate type of program so now if you want to join a league, you have to send a general request, hope it gets forwarded to the proper person, who ISN'T fired or quitting (we're on our 5th center manager this year), and then have them try to call you about leagues at their convenience...then tell you about the 6-12 leagues they have...none of which sound appealing.

And once you do sign up...then you get to experience Bowlmor in all it's a glory....a center with inexperienced (cheap) staff, too few waitresses/bartenders, and equipment that they can't keep running...that doesn't open until 5-6PM during the week.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The PinChasers chain here had a billboard up near where I live and some radio advertising and "The 102.5 Bone Bowling League" you get 2 games of bowling and a 16 oz Beer and bowling with some DJ's and once or twice I saw a tv ad on a local channel.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Even here in Vegas where there should be intense competition between the many bowling centers for league bowlers, it pretty much depends on personal motivation of the league coordinators and, in some cases, league secretaries, to recruit new or returning league bowlers. Even with this, I'm currently bowling in a 60-team league that takes up the entire bowling center on Thursday nights!

Chats: 10

I have three centers n my town and two just over the boarder in Wisconsin. Only the Brunswick center sends out emails about leagues. The house I bowl at doesn't. I wouldn't know anything if it wasn't for my teammates. They leave fliers on the counter for summer league though.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Hello Bowlmor.

Bowlmor is the harbinger of death to bowling centers. They bought a ton of AMF houses and realized they could keep the profitable ones open and sell the ones where the land is valuable and owned by the center. It was such a profitable idea, they bought Brunswick centers shortly thereafter and adopted the same model:

Step 1: Limit hours (forces out daytime/senior leagues).
    Step 2: Replace staff. Emphasize lighter staffing, get rid of older staff and anyone currently getting benefits it at all possible.
    Step 3: Improve aesthetics and entertainment (bar, liquor, etc..).

And I totally agree on the league thing. Most of the time you can go to a website and try to find a league on a day that'll work...maybe even look at the scoresheets to see if it's a good fit. But AMF completely ruined that by making it a corporate type of program so now if you want to join a league, you have to send a general request, hope it gets forwarded to the proper person, who ISN'T fired or quitting (we're on our 5th center manager this year), and then have them try to call you about leagues at their convenience...then tell you about the 6-12 leagues they have...none of which sound appealing.

And once you do sign up...then you get to experience Bowlmor in all it's a glory....a center with inexperienced (cheap) staff, too few waitresses/bartenders, and equipment that they can't keep running...that doesn't open until 5-6PM during the week.
    You forgot Step 4: Never clean the equipment.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    You forgot Step 4: Never clean the equipment.
    That goes with step 2. The old staff cared about how things ran and looked. The new staff are there for a paycheck only.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

I definitely feel everyone's frustration over this. I seem to always find out about leagues after they have already started. Part of it is my fault for not being a bit more proactive but even if you do find a league list online or somewhere in the center, they seem to be starting in 1 week. Makes it difficult to plan out and get teammates together.
    Really no excuse in this day and age to not have a digital list of leagues that could easily be posted on the center's website and/or sent out to an email list.
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast