Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First look at "THAT PURPLE STUFF"

Chats: 32

Thanks for the informative post. I've been using Valantino's Remedy RX for my cleaning here lately and I'm pretty happy with it but maybe I'll bite the bullet at try some TPS. That price is off putting though.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Thanks for the informative post. I've been using Valantino's Remedy RX for my cleaning here lately and I'm pretty happy with it but maybe I'll bite the bullet at try some TPS. That price is off putting though.
    Not having tried Remedy RX I can't say how they compare. I know a lot bowlers swear by Remedy RX, I think if you tried TPS. I'd get the foaming bottle, I think you could control how much you use better than the squeeze bottle..

When I run out, I think I'll get one more bottle (The foaming one) probably the combo with the pad. I would like to try the pad.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Not having tried Remedy RX I can't say how they compare. I know a lot bowlers swear by Remedy RX, I think if you tried TPS. I'd get the foaming bottle, I think you could control how much you use better than the squeeze bottle..

When I run out, I think I'll get one more bottle (The foaming one) probably the combo with the pad. I would like to try the pad.
    I recently bought the combo with the foamer and pad. It's nice, the cleaner seems nicer than the DV8 ball cleaner I had used.

Chats: 10

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    I recently bought the combo with the foamer and pad. It's nice, the cleaner seems nicer than the DV8 ball cleaner I had used.
    What are your thoughts about TPS?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    What are your thoughts about TPS?
    In comparing it to the DV8 ball cleaner, TPS does a better job in cleaning the cover stock. If I have a ball with say 15 games on it and I rub my thumb on the cover stock it's slick and has some lane shine to it. After TPS some of the dullness returns and the same rub test with my thumb will result in it squeaking as I rub the ball.

I will say I don't see the need to use it during play, after every shot like they claim. I occasionally use it after a series, but more than likely at the beginning of the week. I bowl 2-3 nights a week and usually the balls stay decent throughout the week.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

About the cleaning between frames, I've been trying this now for a few weeks and from what I've seen so far.

The basic premise that making a shot with a clean ball every time gives you a more consistent ball reaction through the night is sound enough. The reaction I've seen with my ball has been more consistent through the night.

But from what I've seen in my cleaner tests, Any good ball cleaner (that's approved for use during competition) will work. It doesn't necessarily need to be TPS to get the same results.

Since your cleaning the ball every frame it's not picking up much grime in betweeen cleanings. (the amount would depend on just how oily/dirty the houses lanes are.) So you really wouldn't need a very powerful cleaner, for doing a frame by frame cleaning.

My thought is if someone wants to clean between frames, a good regimen would be to. Use a low cost cleaner for the frame to frame cleanings.

Then use "That Purple Stuff" (or similar strong cleaner) to thoroughly clean the ball at the end of the series.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    About the cleaning between frames, I've been trying this now for a few weeks and from what I've seen so far.

The basic premise that making a shot with a clean ball every time gives you a more consistent ball reaction through the night is sound enough. The reaction I've seen with my ball has been more consistent through the night.

But from what I've seen in my cleaner tests, Any good ball cleaner (that's approved for use during competition) will work. It doesn't necessarily need to be TPS to get the same results.

Since your cleaning the ball every frame it's not picking up much grime in betweeen cleanings. (the amount would depend on just how oily/dirty the houses lanes are.) So you really wouldn't need a very powerful cleaner, for doing a frame by frame cleaning.

My thought is if someone wants to clean between frames, a good regimen would be to. Use a low cost cleaner for the frame to frame cleanings.

Then use "That Purple Stuff" (or similar strong cleaner) to thoroughly clean the ball at the end of the series.
    Thanks for doing all this Bowl1820. It's really interesting to hear and you did confirm to me that any regular cleaner would probably be just as good if cleaning after every shot. But I was wondering have you ever used one of those leather shammy pads? I have one and they work really well in getting the oil off the ball and I was hoping you would have a comparison with that.

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...-new-item.html

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Thanks for doing all this Bowl1820. It's really interesting to hear and you did confirm to me that any regular cleaner would probably be just as good if cleaning after every shot. But I was wondering have you ever used one of those leather shammy pads? I have one and they work really well in getting the oil off the ball and I was hoping you would have a comparison with that.
    No I haven't, I don't have one of the leather pads to try.

Chats: 10

I'm at the end of my first bottle of TPS. I used less and less trying to preserve it. I did see the difference when I used it every frame. But when I practiced and didn't use it I did fine. I bowled 4 games the other day and used it to clean off and wow, it was filthy. The turn off to me is the smell. It's strong. Other bowlers would cough when they went by it. I never used their pad, and the amount they showed to use, didn't last 3 games. I think it's great stuff to clean after a series or even after each game or so.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    The turn off to me is the smell. It's strong. Other bowlers would cough when they went by it.
    The smell is not overtly that strong to me, it does linger especially if you keep your towel wet near you. Now I've used it during league and far as I can tell no one even noticed it. I asked the bowlers on my team what they thought of the smell, "MEH" they didn't think it was that bad.

I never used their pad, and the amount they showed to use, didn't last 3 games.
    I agree with this, if you use it on a regular towel it spreads out through the towel and evaporate quicker. If you put that little squirt towel that he shows in the video it won't last 3 games, maybe 3 frames depending.

I think that is where that pad comes in, it has a rubber backing and sponge in it. Which should help keep it concentrated better, also in one video it looks like they load the pad up more with it.

That's why I think the foaming bottle would allow you control the usage better.

I think it's great stuff to clean after a series or even after each game or so.
    I go along with that, especially if your lanes are pretty clean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast