Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First look at "THAT PURPLE STUFF"

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Thanks for doing all this Bowl1820. It's really interesting to hear and you did confirm to me that any regular cleaner would probably be just as good if cleaning after every shot. But I was wondering have you ever used one of those leather shammy pads? I have one and they work really well in getting the oil off the ball and I was hoping you would have a comparison with that.

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/...-new-item.html
    My thoughts on TPS were above, also note I use a Brunswick leather Shammy before throwing. Those are amasing, they do much better at cleaning oil off before shots.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by epiepenburg View Post
    My thoughts on TPS were above, also note I use a Brunswick leather Shammy before throwing. Those are amasing, they do much better at cleaning oil off before shots.
    Yeah I have a Storm shammy and I'm surprised at how well they work. I have no idea how to clean it though.

Anyway as good as the leather shammy does removing oil how does it compare to cleaning the ball with TPS every shot?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Yeah I have a Storm shammy and I'm surprised at how well they work. I have no idea how to clean it though.
    Shammy Pad Cleaning Instructions

The Storm Shammy Pad needs cleaning after some use
    The proper procedure will make the pad last longer
    Remember the Shammy Pad is made of leather

1. Wet the pad with warm water.
    2. Use a soft bristle brush and gently rub the pad using a
    mild dish soap to exfoliate the surface of the pad.
    3. Rinse the pad with warm water to remove the soap.
    4. Ring the pad out and let it air dry before putting it
    back in your bag.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Shammy Pad Cleaning Instructions

The Storm Shammy Pad needs cleaning after some use
    The proper procedure will make the pad last longer
    Remember the Shammy Pad is made of leather

1. Wet the pad with warm water.
    2. Use a soft bristle brush and gently rub the pad using a
    mild dish soap to exfoliate the surface of the pad.
    3. Rinse the pad with warm water to remove the soap.
    4. Ring the pad out and let it air dry before putting it
    back in your bag.
    Awesome thanks.

Bowler

Anyway as good as the leather shammy does removing oil how does it compare to cleaning the ball with TPS every shot?
    I think the Shammy pads do a good job between shots. I don't feel the need for TPS between shots. I should clarify that I believe the Shammy pads work better than a normal bowling towel. I personally hate the DV8 microfiber towels they include with their balls, they only seem to spread the oil around on the surface.

I do recommend using TPS at least once a week depending on how much you bowl and how many games. I determine if I need to clean the balls more based on how their cover stocks feel and look, or if the ball isn't reacting like it should.

Just ordered some of The Purple Stuff. Combo pack for $22. Misread it as (2) 40 ounce bottles. In actuality it is 4 ounce bottle

Oh well, will try it out as a general cleaner, not an "after every roll" cleaner.

Chats: 10

A friend and I liked what TPS did for us. Really kept the ball clean. Only down side as I said before was the smell. So we decided to buy a gallon of it on Ebay. Was listed for $120, but had an option to give a bid. Didn't think it would be accepted i did $105.00 and was accepted. Doing the math of a gallon = 128 ounces and with each bottle being 4 ounces, this gives us 32 4 ounce bottles with a price of $3.28 a bottle compared to $12.99. I will mainly use it after each bowling session. Perhaps after each game. But in any case I figure I will be set with cleaner for a long time.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

I received my order of TPS. Yes, it does clean well and brings back the tackiness. But like others have said the smell is overwhelming. Not sure if I want to keep the rag I use to clean in my ball bag as it is very strong

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    A friend and I liked what TPS did for us. Really kept the ball clean. Only down side as I said before was the smell. So we decided to buy a gallon of it on Ebay. Was listed for $120, but had an option to give a bid. Didn't think it would be accepted i did $105.00 and was accepted. Doing the math of a gallon = 128 ounces and with each bottle being 4 ounces, this gives us 32 4 ounce bottles with a price of $3.28 a bottle compared to $12.99. I will mainly use it after each bowling session. Perhaps after each game. But in any case I figure I will be set with cleaner for a long time.
    that's a pretty good deal! I might do this myself or maybe get a friend to go in half with me.
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

Chats: 10

So I went to my alley and one of the guys behind the counter heard of TPS but never used it so I broug some in for him. Another guy there who is a very good bowler was there as well. I mentioned how the creator said to use it after every shot and the non worker said you are not allowed to do that. This went on for about 10 minutes calming stating our points how you can use it or you can't. I showed him the bottle and how it says for anytime use and then pulled out a bottle of Storm's reacts scuff which says for before or after use only. My argue ent was why would there be to labels hat says two different things. He wouldn't have any of it. So I called the USBC and they said you can use it anytime in USBC play. The look on the guys face was great, shocked. lol, it was great.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast