Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First look at "THAT PURPLE STUFF"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default My First look at "THAT PURPLE STUFF"

Got a bottle of that purple stuff for Xmas! and just got to try it out tonight. I cleaned before every frame and this is what I got off after 3 games using a regular microfiber towel and that purple stuff.

I think I used more than needed though, while my towel felt damp with it. I didn't see it on the ball as I wiped towards the end of the first game, so added some more because I wasn't sure if it would be cleaning even though I didn't see it wet on the ball.

I wish I had that microfiber pad,maybe it holds it better, but $15 is a little pricey for the ave. Joe. especially testing out a new product.

I think I know a cheap substitute, but the stores here are out.

The ball did react consistently, my girlfriend tried it on her plastic ball and shot 48 pins over for the night (I was only 34POA), she was picking up a lot more spares than usual. I don't know if that purple stuff had anything to do with it but......

I'm putting together a video review I'll try and have it up soon.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 10

I also got a bottle of That Purple Stuff and used it tonight. I also cleaned my ball with it after every shot just with a microfiber towel. The pad would be handy. In video it showed reel small lines on it. I think a car was pad may work. Please let me know if you found something else.

I applied a small amount to the tel and had to do it again in the the third. Again small amount, barely a dent in the bottle. In this league I was averaging 176. Tonight shot a 605 or 201 average. I could the bl gripping thanes and hitting hard. Hey and only 1 words pin! Lol. Doubt it was due to the cleaner, but others on my team shot at multiple even one guy shooting at 8. I used a black towel so didn't notice he dirty it got.

I did use it yesterday, but only cleaned it once initially before I bowled. Didn't do to well. But when done like its suppose to, worked great!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

That looks like quite a lot of grime on the towel for one night of play, but that's a totally unscientific observation on my part, as there is no comparison with just wiping the ball off or using another approved product. This seems to merit some further investigation into the abilities of this cleaner...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    That looks like quite a lot of grime on the towel for one night of play, but that's a totally unscientific observation on my part,
    I've actually seen a lot more grime than that, it depends on how clean the belts, curtains etc. are in the house.

as there is no comparison with just wiping the ball off
    This is a comparison with the towel I normally use. I normally wipe before every shot with it dry(no cleaners) and this hasn't been washed in several weeks! I then clean my ball at the end of the night with a cleaner before bagging the ball.

That dry towel don't take off squat except some surface oil.

or using another approved product.
    That's next week, I want similar oil conditions.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-30-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    That's next week, I want similar oil conditions.
    This is pretty interesting, but who really cleans their ball after every frame or shot? What I would be interested in seeing. if you could, next week bring an identical towel and another cleaner and have a teammate clean their ball as much as you do with "The Purple Stuff" and see the comparison.

My personal opinion, The Purple Stuff may be a better cleaner overall but if cleaning your ball after every shot, I think any cleaner will be just as effective since the oil and grime don't really have a time to soak and settle in.
    Last edited by JasonNJ; 12-30-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    This is pretty interesting, but who really cleans their ball after every frame or shot?
    Well that's the point Ron Hickland is advocating, that bowlers should be cleaning every frame to promote consistent ball reaction. Now A lot of bowlers wipe their ball before shots, That's what I typically do. This is the first time I've ever "cleaned" before every frame though.

Now here this pic is from Ron blog of his microfiber pad after 3 games:
    http://ronaldhickland.com/what-in-th...-purple-stuff/

"This picture shows a new towel on the left and a towel used after 3 games on the right. When you combine the microfiber with That Purple Stuff, you get a true deep cleaning."

Now my towel looked pretty dirty, that one is lot more though.

What I would be interested in seeing. if you could, next week bring an identical towel and another cleaner and have a teammate clean their ball as much as you do with "The Purple Stuff" and see the comparison.
    The others on my team are not quite as hardcore about this stuff as I am, they wouldn't really be up for it.

My personal opinion, The Purple Stuff may be a better cleaner overall but if cleaning your ball after every shot, I think any cleaner will be just as effective since the oil and grime don't really have a time to soak and settle in.
    That's reasonable, even Ron said if you don't use his stuff. Use a cleaner and it will help give you a more consistent reaction.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-30-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Also with his pad you don't go to the bottle each time. The pad absorbs the moisture and just rub it against the pad. Doesn't use much.

Chats: 256

So, did the Purple Stuff kick out all of your 10 pins too?

Does look like a good cleaner for sure.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

the videos he made promoting the product, seems like its more so just to carry if your leaving flat 7 or 10 pins. I do find it interesting though i wanted to try it but at that price.....ill wait

the videos he made promoting the product, seems like its more so just to carry if your leaving flat 7 or 10 pins. I do find it interesting though, I wanted to try it but at that price.....i'll wait
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-30-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: duplicate posts
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    So, did the Purple Stuff kick out all of your 10 pins too?

Does look like a good cleaner for sure.
    Actually the other night I only had one 10 pin for all three games. Who knows if it's he cleaner or not. And the price is just as much as other cleaners. Smaller amount but use less of it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast