Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts wanted on spare ball

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If you need a lower weight to keep bowling and having fun then by all means do so. However keep all your equipment the same weight. Enjoy!
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I did the Vise IT in my spare ball, but wish I hadn't. It's kind of a pain to switch out so often to the thumb being used at that time. I have 3 thumbs, and I ended up just leaving a thumb that is just barely bigger than my regular thumb so I didn't have to keep switching it out.
    That's what I was planning to do if I did decide to drill the spare ball for VISE IT inserts. Just use the biggest one or 2nd biggest one for the spare ball. I have 6-7 inserts but usually use the same 1-2. In the summer or if I bowl a lot...maybe I get up into the 2 biggest ones...in the winter/colder weather maybe it get down to my second smallest. Rarely ever use the smallest one.

I also thought maybe having a second set...would be helpful if one broke or something. But usually when the VISE ITs fail, it's the part in the ball, not the inserts...so spare inserts don't help much in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Vdub your PSO should be able to make a cast of your IT so you can have one to leave in the spare ball that's the same as your regular one at my pro shop it's about $25.
    I don't know if that's possible or not. Usually they drill the insert, you try it, then they drill it a little more, then you try it, then they smooth it out and maybe round it out a bit. It would be a hard process to 100% duplicate.

Although...that WOULD be a cool marketing idea...to make VISE ITs that are drilled for a specific Pro Bowler that you could buy. You could find a bowler with a similar sized thumb and then when you need another one for a spare ball..."yeah, can I get one of the Jason Couches and one of the Brian Voss'?"
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.3mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I don't know if that's possible or not. Usually they drill the insert, you try it, then they drill it a little more, then you try it, then they smooth it out and maybe round it out a bit. It would be a hard process to 100% duplicate.
    Yes you can have a cast/mold made

Once you have a thumb hole just the way you like it , You have a thumb mold made of it. Then they can make all the duplicates of that hole you want.

Ultimate Thumb Mold Kit
    http://www.ultimatebowling.com/produ...humb-mold-kit/
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-12-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. It has been helpful and insightful.

BTW the right hand injury was not due to bowling, it could be aggravated by bowling. But it is getting better all the time.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Once you have a thumb hole just the way you like it , You have a thumb mold made of it. Then they can make all the duplicates of that hole you want.

Ultimate Thumb Mold Kit
    Bowl1820 nailed it I have molded thumbs in all of my balls now I don't use ViseIT but you could easily drill the insert out to accept the mold. My proshop does this all the time.
    Last edited by Amyers; 01-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Ultimate Thumb Mold Kit
    Nice. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12