Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts wanted on spare ball

Chats: 0

Default thoughts wanted on spare ball

My son says I should get a spare ball. Due to an injury to my right hand I have a great deal of difficulty pickup up any spares in the right corner of the lane. I can't put the right motion on my regular ball to get these pins any more without risk of injuring the hand more. Of course my goal in life is to never leave a 10 pin but I don't think that is really going to happen. I bowl a 15 lb Roto Grip Unhinged as my regular ball and have an average of about 170. Not great but also not bad for a 70 year old. Son says I should get something in plastic and only 14 lbs. Well I have an old 14 lb ball - a Storm Punch Out that did not work out too well for me. Would this be a viable option to have it plugged and redrilled for a spare ball? Just not sure what way to go and I don't want to invest a lot. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, get a plastic spare ball. No, don't ever change weights among the balls you use; either strike balls or spare balls. Changing weights messes with your timing and can really play havoc with your game. This little titbit is about the only thing on which a great majority of coaches and PSO's agree.

spare ball for sure because it wont hook unless the lanes are scorched. Plugging and re-drilling will cost almost the same for a Columbia white dot or Ebonite maxim spare ball ($50-$60). I hope I can still bowl when I'm 70.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Chats: 32

The guys have nailed it here. Don't switch weights unless your going to change all of your equipment to 14 lbs. and get the plastic. It will cost almost as much to redrill the Punch Out and it still won't be the proper tool for the job.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I would be in favor of going with a 14lb ball, and then replacing the current 15 lb stuff with all 14, with a hand problem and age, rolling 14lb equipment is certainly a good idea.
    I went to 14 lb this year, and all it did was reduce the stress on my arm, my average is a little higher and going up.
    Also just get a plastic ball, with the low cost of the balls you can get one fully done for around 100, I like my black DV8 spare ball and it's kind of nice to have just a basic black ball.
    I really only use mine on 10's and I can't tell you how many of the one's I've picked up would have been misses if the ball hooked even a slight amount.

Chats: 204

I agree with everyone else.

It sounds like due to your advanced age and physical limitations, a switch to 14lbs would probably be best. Never mix weights...it's possible but detrimental and usually unnecessary. And there's no sense in drilling a non-plastic/non-urethane ball to be a spare ball. Plastic balls are made by every company for next to nothing and last nearly forever. You can get a Pyramid or Columbia spare ball for $40-$55, get it drilled, and your problem is solved. Like anyone else...I get tempted at times to get an Arctic Sniper as a spare ball...but at the end of the day...why pay an extra $45 for a ball that is essentially a spare ball when Pyramid and Columbia offer perfectly good and effective plastic spare balls for half the cost?

I bought a Slingshot to be my spare ball when I first started...and it was a mistake. Too much movement...especially on the backend...where you don't want it. I have a Track300A that I plan to use as my dry ball option in my next arsenal...it's about as weak a ball as you can find...but I'll be using my plastic ball for spares regardless. My reasoning is simple...I miss way, way too many 10-pins and 6-pins...throwing straight at them...I don't need to add a degree of difficulty to the process by flattening my wrist or trying to "play the hook".

And Rob is 100% correct...while you may find bowlers that advocate one weight or another...or that don't use a spare ball...I've never heard or read any COACH actually teaching that you shouldn't use a urethane/plastic spare ball and I've never heard or read a coach advocate switching weights. I tried using both 16 and 15 pound balls concurrently when I first started...and it's a timing disaster.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-06-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 187; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.3mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 10

Yup agree with all. Any plastic ball will work. As far as I know, they are all the same. Could be wrong. I've picked up a spare ball mainly for the 10 pin and has helped a lot!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 204

My only spare ball dilemma is I have my arsenal drilled for VISE IT but not the spare ball. The layout and everything is similar...I just hate the idea of switching out inserts mid-frame and I also don't want to invest another $125 in duplicate inserts that are hopefully "similar enough" to duplicate the feel from the strike ball.

But, if I were at a higher level...I'd probably bite the bullet and get it drilled VISE and get another set of inserts.

Chats: 256

I did the Vise IT in my spare ball, but wish I hadn't. It's kind of a pain to switch out so often to the thumb being used at that time. I have 3 thumbs, and I ended up just leaving a thumb that is just barely bigger than my regular thumb so I didn't have to keep switching it out.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I did the Vise IT in my spare ball, but wish I hadn't. It's kind of a pain to switch out so often to the thumb being used at that time. I have 3 thumbs, and I ended up just leaving a thumb that is just barely bigger than my regular thumb so I didn't have to keep switching it out.
    Vdub your PSO should be able to make a cast of your IT so you can have one to leave in the spare ball that's the same as your regular one at my pro shop it's about $25.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast