Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 or 15 pound ball

Default 16 or 15 pound ball

Have a friend currently using 16lb ball (Brunswick Groove) looking to get a new ball today after many many years. Pro shop where I am taking him no longer stocks any 16 pound balls but will not be a problem to order one. He bowls on old warn out, under maintained wood lanes. More of a down and in player does not like a larger hook. Rolls moderate speed 15 mph approx (no speed reading at our house) and has no problem handeling the 16 pounds. What would some of the pros and cons to dropping to 15 pounds. Thanks

I asked a similar question a few weeks back. Here is a link to the thread if you want to take a look at the insight/answers.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/19028-Ball-Weight
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Quote Originally Posted by shadd View Post
    I asked a similar question a few weeks back. Here is a link to the thread if you want to take a look at the insight/answers.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/19028-Ball-Weight
    I tried a search for 16lb before I posted but said it was 2 general. Thanks for the link.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkabibble View Post
    Have a friend currently using 16lb ball (Brunswick Groove) looking to get a new ball today after many many years. Pro shop where I am taking him no longer stocks any 16 pound balls but will not be a problem to order one. He bowls on old warn out, under maintained wood lanes. More of a down and in player does not like a larger hook. Rolls moderate speed 15 mph approx (no speed reading at our house) and has no problem handeling the 16 pounds. What would some of the pros and cons to dropping to 15 pounds. Thanks
    I haven't bowled on "real" lanes in at least 20 years so I can't give a perspective on that part of the question. Given that the lanes are "old worn out" and "under maintained", the lane topography would trump any difference between what the lanes are made of.

Being a "down and in player" he should probably stick to 16lbs.
    John

It's probably a good indication that if the pro shop doesn't even carry 16lb balls, there is very little demand for them. Assuming that if the local bowlers perceived that 16lb was the way to go with their lanes then there would be more demand and the pro shop would be stocking 16lb balls, it appears that 16 lb offers little advantage. This would mirror the overall bowling community where the most commonly used weight by far is 15lb.
    I as well as many of the bowlers I know used to use 16lb but over the past 10 years or so it's transitioned and I only know a few guys that use 16lb, in fact I would say more people I know are using 14lb than 16lb.
    Based on all the facts unless there is some reason your buddy wants a 16lb ball, it seems like a 15lb ball would be the way to go.

Chats: 0

I only use 16# equipment. As long as I am strong enough to throw it I will. I have thrown my wife's 14# ball and it feels like I'm throwing a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I only use 16# equipment. As long as I am strong enough to throw it I will. I have thrown my wife's 14# ball and it feels like I'm throwing a toy.
    That is my exact feeling as well. As long as i can throw 16 lb i will.

Chats: 10

When I started bowling three years ago, they goto shop guy that I bought from said that most are using 15 and still getting solid hits like 16 lbs . Not sure if it's true, but 15 has been working. Figure it will save me time using this weight as when I get older I wouldn't have to move to 15 from 16.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

I swapped from 16 to 15 after I hurt my shoulder a few years ago. I found that after 7 games with the 16 lber I would be sore the next day and game 6 or so my consistency would start to suffer.

15lb I've done 8-9 games in a day with no issue and don't have as many shoulder issues as I used to.....

side note.... bad choice to hyper-extend your bowling shoulder diving back into a base in softball
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I got back into bowling last year and made the switch to 15lbs and love it. Less stress on my hands and don't feel I lost any carry.

In fact, I got a few guys back into bowling with me and they were all throwing older 16 lb balls and were surprised I told them I was throwing 15 and they have all since switched to 15 lbs as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast