Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of which ball to get

Lightbulb Thinking of which ball to get

Hi bowlers.. I need help in choosing my next arsenal.. Im considering a good med dry to med oil ball to replace my Brunswick Mighty Zone.. Some of my choices are Storm Fast, Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Storm Reign and Hammer Burn..

Current Arsenal :
    Virtual Energy - drilled Leverage
    Mighty Zone - (1st ball so i dont know how it was drilled) 2 1/2 " from PAP - be replacing it so it doesn't matter

Bowler Type :
    Speed : 16~17 mph
    Rev : 220~250 rpm

or any ball that you might suggest or layout to use based on my arsenal? thanks

Chats: 221

I think the Reign, Nomad and Burn would probably be not enough of a step down. I would look Fast, Mars,Vibe,Freeze,Avalanche,Hype so if you are only going with a 2 ball arsenal you have a little more seperation between it and the VE
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

any more inputs that will help in deciding?

@Stormed1
    Thanks for the input.. I'm somehow enlightened by your reply and leaning more towards the Storm Fast..

@Stormed1

sorry i forgot to ask, if i'd be considering a Storm Fast should i layout it the same way as my Virtual Energy? this was another of my concern.. Either i go with a Storm Fast with the same layout or go for a Nomad / Reign with a weaker layout (thinking of a 5x3 layout so that i can retain energy longer and more predictable backend since im not a rev dominant player, or maybe RICO).. your thougts?

A leverage drilling will create the most flare on the ball and the strongest reaction downlane. personally i would probably go with a 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 pin up drilling which would give you a little more midlane read with a strong predictable backend reaction . That or 4 x 3 1/2 if you want a little stronger. Years agao at a storm seminar steve k told us that for a majority of bowlers 3 3/8 is too strong and will overflare with todays core strenghts

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    A leverage drilling will create the most flare on the ball and the strongest reaction downlane. personally i would probably go with a 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 pin up drilling which would give you a little more midlane read with a strong predictable backend reaction . That or 4 x 3 1/2 if you want a little stronger. Years agao at a storm seminar steve k told us that for a majority of bowlers 3 3/8 is too strong and will overflare with todays core strenghts
    im a low rev player that's why im not encountering any problems so far with the layout given a fresh oiled condition. but once the lanes broke down im having problems in reading the lane..i cant find a consistent line that makes me hit the pocket over and over again.. this is the reason why im considering a weaker ball so that when this happens i have the option of switching equipments.

Weaker equipment will also allow you to stay more in your "comfort zone" on the lanes as they break down . personally i can play anywhere from 2nd board to 6th arrow. But i have my arsenal set up so i can just ball down and stay in the same area of the lane over the course of the session. Of course for tournaments where you change pairs many times you have to change lines too based on lane play. But for league i just ball down

thanks a lot stormed1.. im leaning towards Storm Fast other than any of the balls mentioned.. i find the nomad too snappy and might be harder to read on broken conditions.. but im still open for other opinions before weekends

Keep in mind breakpoint shape can be controlled with layout and surface management. It is very common on polished balls to take a worn 2k or 4k pad and just knock the "shine" off the ball pin under layouts tend to smooth out the reaction and therefore make the ball far less snappy. You cant go wrong with either ball in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Keep in mind breakpoint shape can be controlled with layout and surface management. It is very common on polished balls to take a worn 2k or 4k pad and just knock the "shine" off the ball pin under layouts tend to smooth out the reaction and therefore make the ball far less snappy. You cant go wrong with either ball in my opinion
    thanks man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast