Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Scoring House turned into Low Scoring House- Your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Default High Scoring House turned into Low Scoring House- Your thoughts?

The reason I ask is the house I bowl at recently underwent a 6 month renovation where they redid the lanes and lane equipment (except for the re-rack machines). Last season, there were a bunch of 220/230+ avg bowlers.

Here's the problem. Its about 11 weeks into this season (league was delayed) and averages across the board in all leagues are down 10-20 points (in some extreme cases 30-40 pts). My average last season was 217, and I'm bowling 207 (after a 740 series last week) as of today. My teammates were 215 averages, and now they are both in upper 180's. This is often the case when you look at the better bowlers across leagues. It seems that most people are complaining about their carry or lack thereof.

What could be the cause? Brand new lanes? Different patterns? What are your thoughts?

On a related note, there are three pairs that I cannot score well on. I just cant get lined up on them as there is a lot of back end and I've tried multiple lines but come up short shooting mid 500 series. These are the last three pairs in the house and are closest to the door. I wonder if the cold air from the front door is compensated by extra heat from the heating system. Btw I'm not the only one with this problem.

Chats: 32

From what you are telling us it's hard to say. It could be new pins. It often takes a while for new pins to break in. If the lanes are new it could be that they haven't developed a track yet and won't for a while. Different types of lane surfaces take to oil and types of oil differently so this could be a factor there are too many possibilities from the information you provided. Is there something specific that you see that is different in your ball motion?

It's not uncommon for the end sets to play differently although the last three sets is kind of extreme. It very well could be from the cold air coming in from the door. You may need to experiment with different equipment and not just different lines on those sets.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Chats: 23

I agree that it may be new pins if everyone is effected. We got new pins this year in our house and it took a good 8 weeks to get them broke in. I struggled with it myself until I talked with the owner and he told me that it was the pins and that I should just hit a bit heavier on the head pin to carry better. It helped and after a few weeks of that the pins were back to being what they should be.

I will say those pairs that may be tougher, you mentioned the heating and cooling being different. It is definitely a good possibility. Many houses that have pairs near a outside wall will get that way. It is just how it is, I have nights where I score well on those pairs and also nights where I want to punch a hole through the wall.
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Blog Entries

At this point, new pins isn't the issue- new pins have been ordered but the old pins are still being used. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

The lane conditions seem to have changed from last season. From what I've heard, it's a shorter pattern with a heavier volume of oil in the heads. The pattern doesn't seem to be the problem to me because I've had some very strong nights. It seems that each pair reacts differently (drastically) on any given night. I've also heard rumors that different patterns have been used although I cannot confirm other than some nights the ball won't move at all and other nights the backends will hook. It seems the last 4-5 weeks have been consistent though.

Chats: 256

We are dealing with some of the same in our Thursday league. Brand new lane surfaces and not so consistent oil pattern. I also have trouble with an end pair. The others pairs that I have shot on since they have replaced I have shot pretty well. That end pair though, I haven't even shot 600 on it yet.

With new lane surfaces, there isn't the worn in track that most house bowlers are used to. Lane topography is likely a part of the issues that you are seeing.

You have proven that you can overcome the newness of the lanes and shoot well. Think back to when you shot well and what you did that was different to other nights.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Sorry but I have to laugh here.

Across the boards theres always post after post about how the scores and averages are too high, the conditions too easy. Usually from high average bowlers.

Now here you have a house that fixes everything up and the shot gets a little harder and what happens?

Everyone starts complainng about losing all the easy carry they had and their scores and averages went down.

Now you see why the houses and the usbc are reluctant to make changes.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Sorry but I have to laugh here.

Across the boards theres always post after post about how the scores and averages are too high, the conditions too easy. Usually from high average bowlers.

Now here you have a house that fixes everything up and the shot gets a little harder and what happens?

Everyone starts complainng about losing all the easy carry they had and their scores and averages went down.

Now you see why the houses and the usbc are reluctant to make changes.
    This is true and as long as it's across the board does it really matter? I will say that the search for an explanation is a good course of action as it can help you get a leg up but the bowlers you mentioned that are complaining need to stop. I would imagine part of the issue here is the house was experimenting with the shot for the first few weeks with the new equipment which happens. The shot is consistent now you remarked and you shot 740 last week maybe the issues is already resolved.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I would imagine part of the issue here is the house was experimenting with the shot for the first few weeks with the new equipment which happens. The shot is consistent now you remarked and you shot 740 last week maybe the issues is already resolved.
    I would agree to this.

We had similar issues a few years ago when they replaced the lane surface, according to the GM it was primarily two things, getting the lanes "broken in" and getting the oil pattern adjusted to the new surface. I'm not sure what break-in was needed on synthetic lanes but after a couple months everything was more or less back to normal. The lanes don't play like exactly like the old lanes but the bowlers got adjusted and scores went back up.

The reasoning on the lanes by the door having trouble doesn't seem logical, was the door moved or have these lanes always been near the door, did they always play a little harder than the rest of the house ? Did they revamp the heating system in some way ? Maybe they have a problem with the installation of those lanes.

Pin Crusher

We also got new lanes. Brunswick Anvel I think they are called. New oil macnine. We get new Pins every year. 80% of the league 95 bowlers were down in avg. 40% over 10 pins. They had to work on the pattern. Too much oil on the outside. It was different oil also. Not much finish and not much belly. It has been 30 years since I saw that many 8-10's. They finally got a handle on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast