Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your routine on reading the lanes on league night

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    No after drilling costs your looking at 175+ and you get 25 good games for that price then less performance for the next 25 and so on that's the point here
    Assumption: After 25 games, your ball loses performance if not resurfaced.
    Reality: IF that were true...then the guys throwing 300 games in my leagues would not be throwing old reactive resin balls from 1998 that have never been resurfaced (most bowlers don't even know resurfacing is a thing). It's a falsehood. Your assumption is incorrect, therefore your logical argument depending on it is also false.

I will say that it allows me to bowl competitively with bowlers who are much better than I am in ability and form. I would say I'd rather have the right surface with and average release than I would the wrong surface with the best release
    Again;
    Assumption: A bowler with a sub-par release can take their game to the next level with a stronger ball and/or sanding/surfacing their balls religiously.
    Reality: Very few, if any, examples exist to prove that. And the consensus if we were to vote...is that release trumps surface changes 98% of the time if not 100%.

Where is it that you find these balls at pre worn condition are you buying your balls used now? Not one single ball in your arsenal has that as OOB condition.
    Then why ever throw a ball with an OOB condition? Again, despite the evidence...that 99.9% of bowlers throw a ball with an OOB finish...and many 300 games and 800 series are thrown with said balls...despite that reality, you're buying into the concept that you have a "secret weapon" that they don't.

Who knows, ya know what...maybe you're right. Maybe the first thing we all should do when buying a bowling ball is sand it to whatever we feel we think will match our playing conditions best...then go from there. Granted that's a preconception and Rob would hate it...but, if ya buy a big enough supply of sanding pads...I guess you could change it as much as ya want. Okay...I'll concede the point. Despite the overwhelming success of people that don't sand bowling balls...we'll just assume they are "lucky"...so long as Tony doesn't get mad at me about assuming those that don't know how to sand bowling balls are in some way inferior to those that do...like Amyers here.

I'm actually getting more scared to face you in the "Battle of the As: Aslan vs Amyers Challenge"...all this sanding ability is going to crush me. I want 10 extra pins since I'll leave my abralon pads at home. That should be more than fair.

The surface is the same regardless of the type of material now the composition will be different but if you've allowed the pores to fill with oil and gunk doubt it really matters what that covers made out of.
    I put my balls in my personal ball dehydrator every 9-15 games...hopefully that takes care of oil and gunk. Maybe not...I don't know. The AMF lanes are so dirty I practically need sandblasting equipment to keep them clean...but hey, Bowlmor put up some nice neon lights outside....place looks pretty nice from afar.

No this advice is for any one remotely serious about bowling. You bowl one league a week buy a new ball every six month don't worry about it you're probably not good enough to notice the difference anyway.
    Well, ya shoulda led with this!! Then I'd have known you're talking to a different audience. VDub, Tony, Rob...sand yer balls!!! And I'm not even being vulgar...so no infractions!!

I'm thinking my next ball purchase should be the Detroit Lions plastic ball I always see on bowlerx.com. I could get it at 9lbs and learn to throw palm or thumbless...like that old dude (no offense Tony) that NYMIKE mentioned. That guy sounded cool. I'm gonna be the next one-step wonder!!

I might add an approach later though...like that dude in the Youtube video that dances during his approach...maybe my game needs some flair or something.

Or I could bowl in a Halloween costume or pajamas or something. I see groups of nerds show up every once in a while on evenings dressed like that to bowl. I don't know....I think they find it amusing or something. It can't be laundry day for all of them.

My new motto is: "I Don't Always Bowl Well...But I Always Bowl Sexy." I'm gonna focus my efforts on that. If the sexiest bowler averages 121...do we care? Nope. The other option I was thinking about Wednesday was to stop dressing well for league night. God knows not everybody does...believe me...sometimes it's a scary site. But I should dress to my ability. Right now, sweat pants, tank top, socks with holes in them. Maybe I need to EARN my bowling swag/shirts.

In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've been tempted more than once. But at my skill level it makes very little sense.
    I don't think you give yourself enough credit and skill level doesn't really have much to do it with. Balls do die and need resurfacing to bring them back. I bought an Storm Crux Pearl which I loved. But after around 100 games or so it just lost reaction and starting hitting the pocket like a marshmallow. I routinely bake and polished the ball but it didn't help much, I had to do a full resurface with a ball spinner and the ball was like it was OOB again.

..but at some point reality has to be considered rather than ignored.
    Why start worrying about reality now ?

Assumption: After 25 games, your ball loses performance if not resurfaced.
    Reality: IF that were true...then the guys throwing 300 games in my leagues would not be throwing old reactive resin balls from 1998 that have never been resurfaced (most bowlers don't even know resurfacing is a thing). It's a falsehood. Your assumption is incorrect, therefore your logical argument depending on it is also false.

Again;
    Assumption: A bowler with a sub-par release can take their game to the next level with a stronger ball and/or sanding/surfacing their balls religiously.
    Reality: Very few, if any, examples exist to prove that. And the consensus if we were to vote...is that release trumps surface changes 98% of the time if not 100%.

Then why ever throw a ball with an OOB condition? Again, despite the evidence...that 99.9% of bowlers throw a ball with an OOB finish...and many 300 games and 800 series are thrown with said balls...despite that reality, you're buying into the concept that you have a "secret weapon" that they don't.

Who knows, ya know what...maybe you're right. Maybe the first thing we all should do when buying a bowling ball is sand it to whatever we feel we think will match our playing conditions best...then go from there. Granted that's a preconception and Rob would hate it...but, if ya buy a big enough supply of sanding pads...I guess you could change it as much as ya want. Okay...I'll concede the point. Despite the overwhelming success of people that don't sand bowling balls...we'll just assume they are "lucky"...so long as Tony doesn't get mad at me about assuming those that don't know how to sand bowling balls are in some way inferior to those that do...like Amyers here.

I'm actually getting more scared to face you in the "Battle of the As: Aslan vs Amyers Challenge"...all this sanding ability is going to crush me. I want 10 extra pins since I'll leave my abralon pads at home. That should be more than fair.

I put my balls in my personal ball dehydrator every 9-15 games...hopefully that takes care of oil and gunk. Maybe not...I don't know. The AMF lanes are so dirty I practically need sandblasting equipment to keep them clean...but hey, Bowlmor put up some nice neon lights outside....place looks pretty nice from afar.

Well, ya shoulda led with this!! Then I'd have known you're talking to a different audience. VDub, Tony, Rob...sand yer balls!!! And I'm not even being vulgar...so no infractions!!

I'm thinking my next ball purchase should be the Detroit Lions plastic ball I always see on bowlerx.com. I could get it at 9lbs and learn to throw palm or thumbless...like that old dude (no offense Tony) that NYMIKE mentioned. That guy sounded cool. I'm gonna be the next one-step wonder!!

I might add an approach later though...like that dude in the Youtube video that dances during his approach...maybe my game needs some flair or something.

Or I could bowl in a Halloween costume or pajamas or something. I see groups of nerds show up every once in a while on evenings dressed like that to bowl. I don't know....I think they find it amusing or something. It can't be laundry day for all of them.

My new motto is: "I Don't Always Bowl Well...But I Always Bowl Sexy." I'm gonna focus my efforts on that. If the sexiest bowler averages 121...do we care? Nope. The other option I was thinking about Wednesday was to stop dressing well for league night. God knows not everybody does...believe me...sometimes it's a scary site. But I should dress to my ability. Right now, sweat pants, tank top, socks with holes in them. Maybe I need to EARN my bowling swag/shirts.
    I like the way you assume your assumptions are correct and use percentages you've made up to prove that you are indeed correct.

It's a well known fact that 96.2 % of the information you rely on is simply what you have decided you want to believe and only 23.8 % of it actually true !

Since I know for a fact that 2 bowlers on my wed team have non OOB ball finishes and we have 6 guys on the team I would say that 33.3 % of players in the universe have altered ball surfaces. Don't worry it's an allowed extrapolation of the results according to Aslan rules...

One of the guys had a ball that snapped too much on the back end and was averaging 176, with some advice from Amyers we modified the surface and the ball is much more to his liking , his current average 2 months later is 197.

If you actually investigated it you would be surprised how many of the more dedicated bowlers are taking care of their balls with baking, resurfacing on a somewhat regular basis. I will agree the average once a week bowler doesn't do these things that much but as you get to know some of the guys that bowl 3 or more times a week you would find out that a fair amount of them do some of the things that only .1 % of all bowlers do (according to your made up percentages)

On attire I would rather not see a bunch of people bowling in pajama pants and sweats, it would give me flashbacks of the times I have visited Wal-Mart, especially the local location nick named the Ghetto Wal-mart where it the preferred attire.

If you want to attain the results of the above average bowler, you might be better served by following some of the same regiment that helps them attain it and forget about the guy with the blue hammer and unusual approach that averages 220, it should be obvious that following his lead will not be very helpful to your game, maybe he just has the gift.

Just because there are some bowlers that can manage to attain a high average with old equipment that's no reason to assume that you can do the same thing, you've tried and it hasn't worked. Why not try using some newer equipment and maintaining it, and see what happens? If you're willing to spend the money on lessons, skip a lesson and buy a newer ball, and have a couple of your other balls baked and resurfaced and then see how they work for you.

You can argue all you want that the ball and surface doesn't matter and refuse to change, but why not use every advantage you can to improve your game ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123