Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your routine on reading the lanes on league night

Blog Entries
    Chats: 0

Default Your routine on reading the lanes on league night

Just curious- What is the method or routine you use to read the lanes in warm-ups on league night?

Cranker

I usually throw my favorite ball my RotoGrip Unhinged with my favorite line 2 or 3 times on each lane and judge how the ball reacts. If the lanes are lightly oiled and going through the nose, then I ball down to a Columbia 300 Deep Freeze. If I'm hitting light, then I take out the RotoGrip Haywire that I've won from the board.

Chats: 256

First I need to get loosened up so the first couple balls I can't really get a good read on them. I do watch everyone else though and see where their balls are transitioning and go from there. I try not go in with any pre-conceived notion of how they will play. Once I have my body warmed up, I then throw my shot and adjust from there. Tuesdays it is a pretty consistent shot from week to week, Thursdays not so much. Thursdays is very speed dependent and have to target a bit differently.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

SandBagger

I agree with vdubtx. First warmup your shot. After you have stretched before throwing the first ball. I find this crucial, especially at 73, but is good for all ages. The days activities can stress muscles that you will need to bowl your best. I also bowl Tuesdays and Thursdays at two different alleys. I found that I can learn from other bowlers that throw like me. You will always find crankers/high rev bowlers that don't match your game and therefore don't give you an idea on how the lanes are playing that night.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Listen to mo's podcast here in it he describes the 5 shot method to read the lanes.
    Mo Pinel on the Let's Go Bowling show done on Jan. 20.
    Duration: 50:39 m

He comments on who fits better on Motion hole vs. Double Thumb. Skip sanding. vs. going thru the grits. Symm vs. asymm. Liquid pearl vs. powdered pearl. etc.

Let's Go Bowling Show Podcast
    http://www.internetradiopros.com/let...012016_lgb.mp3

Direct Download:
    http://internetradiopros.com/letsgob...012016_lgb.mp3

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Listen to mo's podcast here in it he describes the 5 shot method to read the lanes.
    Mo Pinel on the Let's Go Bowling show done on Jan. 20.
    Duration: 50:39 m

He comments on who fits better on Motion hole vs. Double Thumb. Skip sanding. vs. going thru the grits. Symm vs. asymm. Liquid pearl vs. powdered pearl. etc.

Let's Go Bowling Show Podcast
    http://www.internetradiopros.com/let...012016_lgb.mp3

Direct Download:
    http://internetradiopros.com/letsgob...012016_lgb.mp3

Thanks for this- never heard of this podcast before. Tons of interesting stuff!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Cdolcejr View Post
    Just curious- What is the method or routine you use to read the lanes in warm-ups on league night?
    Uh oh!! Don't get Amyers and Rob started on this one!!!

Listened to the podcast.
    1) I can't disagree with Mo about the ball paths/motions...but he seems to be supporting where certain people should use symmetric and certain people should use assymetric based on whether they are "behind the ball" versus up the side of the ball. What I don't understand is, why make a ball for "up the side" when the general consensus is people shouldn't be coming up the side of the ball?
    2) The motion hole stuff was a bit "too much"...even for me. But it does make me wonder given I'm rev challenged and speed dominant...if motion holes and balance holes wouldn't be more beneficial for me.
    3) He seems to be advocating always surfacing the heck out of balls...yet didn't really touch on the downside to so much surfacing...which is the ball losing energy and hitting weak.
    4) Liked the particle pearl vs powdered pearl discussion...I have never heard that. And it explains why Brunswick, DV8, and Radical tend to hook sooner than other brands (in general).

Like I've said in other threads. I'm currently not a big fan of surface changes at our level. I understand the need for it at higher levels...but if you don't have a ball rep level grasp of bowling balls...you're almost as likely to hurt your game messing with the surface as you can help your game...in my opinion. And even if you did know a lot about surfaces...to keep surface changes relevant and consistent...you're gonna be resurfacing on a bi-weekly basis if not every week.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    4) Liked the particle pearl vs powdered pearl discussion...\
    That was liquid pearl vs powdered pearl.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Interesting how this question has been turned around to focus on what bowling ball to use rather than what line to play. vdubtx hit pay dirt with his comment that he watches everyone's shots to see how the ball reacts, not just his own. While starting out without any preconceptions is very difficult, starting out with as few as possible is a necessity!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Uh oh!! Don't get Amyers and Rob started on this one!!!

Listened to the podcast.
    1) I can't disagree with Mo about the ball paths/motions...but he seems to be supporting where certain people should use symmetric and certain people should use assymetric based on whether they are "behind the ball" versus up the side of the ball. What I don't understand is, why make a ball for "up the side" when the general consensus is people shouldn't be coming up the side of the ball?

There are a lot of successful bowlers who play on the side of the ball. Just because it's not the normal on the tour there are other approaches to bowling that can be successful.

2) The motion hole stuff was a bit "too much"...even for me. But it does make me wonder given I'm rev challenged and speed dominant...if motion holes and balance holes wouldn't be more beneficial for me.

Motion holes are for players with lower speed your ball would never move with a MO Hole unless you really added some surface. Your style would benefit much more from his double thumb and P4 holes most likely.

3) He seems to be advocating always surfacing the heck out of balls...yet didn't really touch on the downside to so much surfacing...which is the ball losing energy and hitting weak.

That is why you move into the oil instead of trying to play the dry

4) Liked the particle pearl vs powdered pearl discussion...I have never heard that. And it explains why Brunswick, DV8, and Radical tend to hook sooner than other brands (in general).

I though this was interesting also. I've talked to Phil some (the other Radical guy) and we've talked a lot about the mechanical friction vs. chemical friction thing but I had never heard this.

Like I've said in other threads. I'm currently not a big fan of surface changes at our level. I understand the need for it at higher levels...but if you don't have a ball rep level grasp of bowling balls...you're almost as likely to hurt your game messing with the surface as you can help your game...in my opinion. And even if you did know a lot about surfaces...to keep surface changes relevant and consistent...you're gonna be resurfacing on a bi-weekly basis if not every week.
    Your just dead wrong on the surface thing. I agree 150 average bowlers who can't hit their target don't need to experiment with surface but even bowlers of our ability should be maintaining their equipment and learning what works for them on different conditions. For some reason you just never have grasped the concept that the OOB condition of the bowling ball isn't magical it changes just the same way as a surface you apply so unless you want your entire arsenal surfaced at 4500-5000 grit (because that's where they change too) you've got to periodically refresh and resurface your balls regardless of whether it's the OOB finish or one you picked it doesn't matter. How hard is it really to keep a Abaron pad in your bag and it hit the ball with it every 5-10 games and pay $25 to have it resurfaced by the proshop every 40-50 games?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast