Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help With My Throw - Video Inside

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by deputy865 View Post
    My approach is rather quick... I'll admit that. When should my arm be straight? When I came back through? When I release the ball?
    I'm not an expert on the thumbless style but all the guys I know who use it have a much straighter arm through the backswing and through the release. From the video your arm is bent at the elbow throughout your swing.

The ball your using has it been fitted to you. It appears from your picture to be drilled with a conventional finger holes but thumbless? I've never seen that. I would think that would cause the ball to come of your fingers early and lose rotation.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Is there no thumb hole in that ball? The guys that I know that throw thumbless (including a teammate of mine) still have thumb holes drilled in the ball.

It definitely seems like you are trying too hard with your arm to get the ball to spin and not getting enough hand in it. There is a guy in my Monday league that throws identical to your video, house ball, low at the line, etc. his ball looks the same going down the lane, barely any movement to the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'm not an expert on the thumbless style but all the guys I know who use it have a much straighter arm through the backswing and through the release. From the video your arm is bent at the elbow throughout your swing.

The ball your using has it been fitted to you. It appears from your picture to be drilled with a conventional finger holes but thumbless? I've never seen that. I would think that would cause the ball to come of your fingers early and lose rotation.
    I do use all 3 fingers, so yes, my ball does have a thumb hole lol

The position/depth of the holes drilled in my ball are to my liking and fitted for me. I find it comfortable. Now if the ball was drilled properly, I couldn't tell you. In the past though, this ball has hooked phenomenally and produced some great scores for me.

Only reason I took a picture of my ball was to show you roughly where my PAP is in relation to the top 2 holes in my ball.

Chats: 32

I do use all 3 fingers, so yes, my ball does have a thumb hole lol

The position/depth of the holes drilled in my ball are to my liking and fitted for me. I find it comfortable. Now if the ball was drilled properly, I couldn't tell you. In the past though, this ball has hooked phenomenally and produced some great scores for me.

Only reason I took a picture of my ball was to show you roughly where my PAP is in relation to the top 2 holes in my ball.
    Ok I just wondered as it appears to be an unusual setup. My two best pieces of advice are to have the ball resurfaced if you haven't and to experiment with slowing on the approach and straitening that elbow out and see if that helps any. Without having a before and after video it's hard to say for sure if it's completely a ball or a you problem. Either way the above items wouldn't hurt anything regardless.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    To me it looks like the ball is falling off your hand before you can get any significant amount of rotation on it and that you are just spinning the ball. I would tell you the next time you bowl is to try to focus on feeling the ball coming off your fingers and keeping your fingers on the ball as long as possible.
    It never occurred to me until recently when I was reading something Rob posted, but thinking of rolling the ball - in place of other verbiage- has made a big difference in my swing and release.

Also, the title of the original post uses the word throw - which is something I have dealt with in the past (as opposed to a free swing).
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I'll point out one thing in this video. and I'll start backwards, or from the release. There are more things I see, but one is enough...

You have Early timing. Sliding and releasing at the same time gets little to no leverage. The slide foot must plant or stop sliding first, then the ball is released after. Think of a punch. If the feet isn't planted to the ground, the punch will be weak. It's a push punch, kinda like your release - weak. And as under you are on the ball, it's a shame you're not getting the full potential of your release and ball motion. Many bowlers would love to be below the balls equator upon release like you are and not over the top.

Pitchers don't let the ball come off their fingers while their foot is still moving forward and up in the air. They will be off balance at release and the ball has nothing behind it. Their foot must plant, your foot must plant. No plant, no leverage, no true ball motion. A good release will feel like a back up ball......

Again this is just one thing I see, but there are more things in your physical game that I noticed that could be looked at. Like your footwork, push away, spine tilt...... finding a qualified coach is best for you to better understand how important a good set up and a sound approach is to produce quality release and ball motion.

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    I'll point out one thing in this video. and I'll start backwards, or from the release. There are more things I see, but one is enough...

You have Early timing. Sliding and releasing at the same time gets little to no leverage. The slide foot must plant or stop sliding first, then the ball is released after. Think of a punch. If the feet isn't planted to the ground, the punch will be weak. It's a push punch, kinda like your release - weak. And as under you are on the ball, it's a shame you're not getting the full potential of your release and ball motion. Many bowlers would love to be below the balls equator upon release like you are and not over the top.

Pitchers don't let the ball come off their fingers while their foot is still moving forward and up in the air. They will be off balance at release and the ball has nothing behind it. Their foot must plant, your foot must plant. No plant, no leverage, no true ball motion. A good release will feel like a back up ball......

Again this is just one thing I see, but there are more things in your physical game that I noticed that could be looked at. Like your footwork, push away, spine tilt...... finding a qualified coach is best for you to better understand how important a good set up and a sound approach is to produce quality release and ball motion.
    Appreciate the insight. I'll try to play with my approach first, see if that yields anything different.. Or at the very least, try to break the habit I have now. I think I can see how my release SHOULD be, I just need to feel/do it!

Shane

Appreciate the insight. I'll try to play with my approach first, see if that yields anything different.. Or at the very least, try to break the habit I have now. I think I can see how my release SHOULD be, I just need to feel/do it!

Shane

Good luck

Shane

Good luck n bowl well

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post

Very good point about the timing ! The approach will need some adjustment to get the arm and feet in time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12