Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How far forward do you stand on the approach?

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It's varied.

Started out using the whole approach. Over time, in an attempt to slow my speed down mainly...have moved up to where my toes are on the first set of dots. But with my height and longer legs...I have to kinda tip toe like Wes Mallot to make sure I'm not sliding over the foul line...AND usually plant versus slide.

I've seen very few non-pros that can use the entire approach in time and effectively. Usually when I see it, it's a 207-246 average bowler with really good form, youth, and strength. The longer the approach and faster the feet, the harder it is to stay in time. And timing is probably slightly ahead of or slightly behind release in terms of potential impact on your shot/game. Everything else is a distant 3rd.
    I'm in the same boat--I've been all over the place, over time.

Another adjustment I made was going to a tackier slide pad. I used the S10 (SST-8 shoes) since I got them, and since switching to the S8, I get less slide, but I'm also not pulling the ball across my body with as much frequently. I feel more "in tune" during the shot, even if I'm off in the end. Always have used the H5 heel.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    ...I've seen very few non-pros that can use the entire approach in time and effectively. Usually when I see it, it's a 207-246 average bowler with really good form, youth, and strength. The longer the approach and faster the feet, the harder it is to stay in time. And timing is probably slightly ahead of or slightly behind release in terms of potential impact on your shot/game. Everything else is a distant 3rd.
    This idea has been in the back of my mind for as long as I can remember and I do my best to not think about this for fear of having to completely re-vamp my game haha.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Bowler

I stand right on the dots. I measured my steps from the foul line back and accounted for a little slide, which placed me there. I sometimes stand farther back if I need a little more speed.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and winner of a weekly ball contest!

Pin Crusher

One foot behind the 12' dots. End up one foot behind the foul line. Gives me room to kick forward or back if the ball isn't hitting just right. Five step approach.
    Last edited by Timmyb; 01-27-2016 at 11:09 PM.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

SandBagger

Curious question and answers. In my case, it all depends on how tired my legs are. If it has been a medium active day for me, 73 years, I can stand at the dots and reach the foul line. If I find I am tired and finishing short, then I have to move forward. Moving left or right depends on the lanes and to some extent my delivery.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Curious question and answers. In my case, it all depends on how tired my legs are. If it has been a medium active day for me, 73 years, I can stand at the dots and reach the foul line. If I find I am tired and finishing short, then I have to move forward. Moving left or right depends on the lanes and to some extent my delivery.
    Can't argue with that.

I have the opposite problem. I've tried everything I can think of to try and get my speed under 15mph (at the pins) and if I'm "fresh" (at 41), I'll look up and see 17.88mph. It's like, no matter how close I get to the foul line (approach)...my body compensates by just firing it faster to make up for the lost momentum from my feet. Coaches have said to try and "just drop it"...but when I DO do that...I get a 12mph (at the pins) shot with 2rpms that usually leaves me a 1-2-4 or 2-4-5 or 1-2-4-7...or if God is really hating me that night...the 1-2-4-10 which is lovely.

I actually bowl better when I'm sick or hurt. I had a bad reaction to a tetanus shot once...very painful in my bowling shoulder...bowled great. Could barely move my arm and every shot hurt...but I didn't have to worry about over-throwing it.

I start about 1 foot in front of the dots at 12' and use a 4 step approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I start about 1 foot in front of the dots at 12' and use a 4 step approach.
    Ditto.
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

I start about 8" in front of the 12' dots. However at one house with wood I need to keep ball speed up to not over hook every line I try so I move back and speed up a bit. I also hold he ball a bit higher at address. I hinge when I drop the ball on step two (five steps) and I typically take short steps. However when I move back I naturally take slightly longer steps and always finish at the foul line.

I am about 16 inches or so in back (with the front of my feet) of the 12' dots in my usual starting spot. 5 step approach for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast