Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pearl,Hybrid,Solid Same Core, Coverstock And Finish comparison?

Aslan: I'm not obsessed with cores, I just use the low RG as a starting point in setting up my arsenal. I also use pretty much the same layout on everything to take that component out of the equation. Here's how my arsenal is set up. I use a system that is a lot like the way Roto Grip classifies their bowling balls, though I don't like the HP designation (Hook Potential) for obvious reasons.

Level I - Low RG balls with Asymmetric cores: Nirvana, Mastermind Intellect, Mastermind Scholar
    Level II - Slightly higher RG balls with Asymmetric or Symmetric cores: Mastermind Einstein, Melee Jab
    Level III - Mid-Range RG balls with Symmetric cores: Meanstreak Brawler, Radical Ridiculous
    Level IV - Higer RG balls with Symmetric cores: LT 48, Soulmate

I make my selection for each bowling outing based on the surfaces that work at a particular center, the particular pair of lanes on which I'm bowling, and the weather. For instance, when I bowl at Red Rock at night, where a 25' head run is put out and the rest of the lane is "you get what you get," I will take one Level one ball (shiny), usually the Scholar, one level three ball, and both Level four balls. At the same house during the day, I'll take one level on ball, one level two ball, one level three ball, and one level four ball. The one common factor is that all four will be shiny, because balls with surface rarely work for me there.

My point is that the surface should never be the determining factor in selecting a bowling ball because it is so easily changed. If you understand the cores and take the layouts out of the equation, fine tuning an arsenal is very easy.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    My speed is down by a factor of 2mph. I'm actually having a reverse problem right now. At the lower speed...if I get too much "fingers" into the ball...the shot tears left like killdeer running from a lawn mower. I'm actually starting out playing the track...and by Game 3 I'm left of center by a fair amount. Unheard of at my old speed. At my old speed I had to start out up the 5-9 boards and hope and pray it made it back to the pocket...because playing the 1-4 boards like Jess Stayrook makes me so nervous I spend each shot intentionally pulling the shot to avoid the gutter. I don't know how those late 70s/early 80s guys were able to play that 1-2 board as well as they did...that's a heckuva tough shot.
    Haaaaaa aslan with too much hand. Man I wish I could see that. I believe I told you so is in order. So I told you so. Now Time to learn balance grass hopper. Let me know if you figure it out I'm closer but not there yet.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12