Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Japan Inventational

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I loved seeing Chris Barnes on TV. Bowlers can learn so much from watching him bowl: he doesn't throw the ball, he rolls the ball. Take note!
    I was very interested in 2 things from Barnes...he throws a 16# ball even coming off of a very recent back surgery and he doesn't use a "spare ball". The explanation for him using no spare ball was even more interesting...limited to balls he could travel with on flights so he taught himself to shoot spares with his strike ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I watched this last night on YouTube and Amleto was in a zone. Barnes looked pretty good but he did look like he was having some discomfort in his back and yeah I found him not using a spare ball pretty interesting too. He came really close to missing the 10 pin spare a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by shadd View Post
    I was very interested in 2 things from Barnes...he throws a 16# ball even coming off of a very recent back surgery and he doesn't use a "spare ball". The explanation for him using no spare ball was even more interesting...limited to balls he could travel with on flights so he taught himself to shoot spares with his strike ball.
    No spare ball, now that is interesting for sure.

OMG, first there's Norm Duke, and now everyone keys in on Chris Barnes not using plastic. I think I can safely say that no one on these boards has even 1/4 of the control of the roll of the ball as either of these Hall of Famers. Use plastic, PLEASE!

Chats: 4

Use plastic, PLEASE!
    Yes use plastic unless you want those averages to drop
    by missing a bunch of 10 pins/7pins.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Yes use plastic unless you want those averages to drop
    by missing a bunch of 10 pins/7pins.
    I do not use a plastic ball when shooting at the 10 pin and my average has not suffered because of it. If you know how to break your wrist and throw it end over end I don't think a plastic ball is necessary. Now I have been doing this for years and it feels natural to shoot at the ten pin like that and I rarely miss. That being said if I was just learning how to bowl or struggling to keep the ball from hooking away from the 10 pin I would definitely suggest using a plastic ball.

OMG, first there's Norm Duke, and now everyone keys in on Chris Barnes not using plastic. I think I can safely say that no one on these boards has even 1/4 of the control of the roll of the ball as either of these Hall of Famers. Use plastic, PLEASE!
    I don't think anyone was advocating non-use of spare ball, just making an observation. And Randy Pederson's explanation was spot on. When you want to lower your travel load, getting rid of the unitasker plastic ball is a good decision when you're a PBA pro

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    I don't think anyone was advocating non-use of spare ball, just making an observation. And Randy Pederson's explanation was spot on. When you want to lower your travel load, getting rid of the unitasker plastic ball is a good decision when you're a PBA pro
    Unfortunately, I hear people advocating the use of the strike ball for spares virtually every time I bowl, and very often on these boards. Many of these bowlers point to Norm Duke as a justification for this practice. I think you can understand why I inwardly groaned when Randy Pedersen gave them another high profile name to misuse to justify their bad decision.

Unfortunately, I hear people advocating the use of the strike ball for spares virtually every time I bowl, and very often on these boards. Many of these bowlers point to Norm Duke as a justification for this practice. I think you can understand why I inwardly groaned when Randy Pedersen gave them another high profile name to misuse to justify their bad decision.
    I catch flack from some of my extended family for my use of a plastic spare ball. "You should learn to use your strike ball for spares." They also get on me for dropping my shoulder etc. etc. I just kind of take it in stride and keep doing what I am doing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNC View Post
    I catch flack from some of my extended family for my use of a plastic spare ball. "You should learn to use your strike ball for spares." They also get on me for dropping my shoulder etc. etc. I just kind of take it in stride and keep doing what I am doing.
    You should ask them why almost all the pros use a spare ball if using a strike ball for spares is better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast