Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member, ball advice, Revisited.

Hy-Road was looking better all the time until I realized that it has a fragrance. There's something for everyone but that's not for me...

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    Hy-Road was looking better all the time until I realized that it has a fragrance. There's something for everyone but that's not for me...
    Yes, the Storm Balls have fragrances, and I felt like I was at my Grandma's house the first time I had my IQ Tour in the car (apple crisp). But, I will also say that my Brunswick stuff makes any room it occupies smell like a factory, or maybe fresh oil. After a few weeks its not as noticeable anyways unless you stick your nose upon it or leave it somewhere warm.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

It's a gimmick of course, and the smell is only somewhat strong for a short time, if you leave the ball on a heat register, or get it resurfaced. I bowled a couple of weeks ago against a team and we had 3 IQ tour 30, and 3 Hy-roads on the rack and I couldn't smell a thing, the IQ only came out a month or 6 weeks ago so they are all new.

The only way I can smell the scent on my IQ or Hy-road is getting my nose an inch or two from the ball, but that's just me and I pay no attention to it. If you have an interest maybe look up or start a thread on how strong the smell of Storm balls are.

I think all balls have some smell, I would have sworn my Hyper-cell Skid had an smell but it doesn't have a factory applied scent. The Vintage Rhino gold smelled a little like burnt plastic crossed with dirty old socks ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think all balls have some smell, I would have sworn my Hyper-cell Skid had an smell but it doesn't have a factory applied scent. The Vintage Rhino gold smelled a little like burnt plastic crossed with dirty old socks ! lol
    Now that's a smell I can live with. Old factory/locker room scented wouldn't be bad either!

the new storm fight looks like its gunna be something special ,, dont let a scent decide your ball choice

Revisiting and seeking advice again!

Well, a few months have passed and instead of buying balls, I sought lessons and got to know what a Cyclone will do with my style. I'm told I'm a typical 2nd arrow, down and in bowler with moderate speed and revs (whatever that means). A fairly gentle smooth style.

My average had gone from 140 to 160 and recently with the occasional 200+ game (new high of 237). Improved release, tempo and consistency.

So now to take a step more aggressive. Some say go for the very aggressive end of the spectrum to learn what it can do, "go buy a hook in a box!". Others say take more gradual steps as I progress, "don't jump in the deep end of the pool!"

The PSO has ordered 3 balls for me to choose from, all of which he wants in inventory so there's no problem there. 1) Ebonite Gamebreaker 2 MVP, 2) Storm Fight, 3) Hammer Dark Legend. He says I'd do fine with any but totally different experiences. All to use on typical house conditions that will vary greatly. Only casual senior league use.

As things stand, I'm leaning GB2 but wonder if it's a big enough change from the Cyclone. Hammer looks scary but exciting. Fight, very cool on paper. The pro knows nothing about it. I'm looking to learn the game, what different balls can do and what I can do with them.

Any thoughts from the board?

Chats: 32

The GB 2 MVP is the most logical step up but you're not going to see a huge difference probably 2-1 from the Cyclone. The Fight is a different beast and from what I e seen and heard you either love it or hate it. The Dark Legend is quite a bit more aggressive than you're current ball.

If you're looking to go with a smooth progressive arsenal the get the GB2 if you want something different and to experiment with a different shot shape get the Dark Legend. If your pro shop isn't familiar with the fight I would avoid it even though I think it's a good ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The GB 2 MVP is the most logical step up but you're not going to see a huge difference probably 2-1 from the Cyclone. The Fight is a different beast and from what I e seen and heard you either love it or hate it. The Dark Legend is quite a bit more aggressive than you're current ball.

If you're looking to go with a smooth progressive arsenal the get the GB2 if you want something different and to experiment with a different shot shape get the Dark Legend. If your pro shop isn't familiar with the fight I would avoid it even though I think it's a good ball.
    I'm thinking similarly. I'd been afraid of the relatively extreme aggressiveness of the Dark Legend and thinking GB2. Until yesterday! I was getting a nice ball reaction with the Cyclone and thinking going one step at a time until I was traveling and decided to try visiting a new bowling center (Bradley Bowl, Hartford, CT). They explained to me that they put down a typical house shot the night before but "use much more oil" than most places you'll go...

I couldn't get the ball to do anything. Barely a transition to roll and minimal hook if any. Just skidded lazily through the oil. I started wondering if the Dark Legend might be good but drilled to tone it down a bit...

Chats: 32

I'm thinking similarly. I'd been afraid of the relatively extreme aggressiveness of the Dark Legend and thinking GB2. Until yesterday! I was getting a nice ball reaction with the Cyclone and thinking going one step at a time until I was traveling and decided to try visiting a new bowling center (Bradley Bowl, Hartford, CT). They explained to me that they put down a typical house shot the night before but "use much more oil" than most places you'll go...

I couldn't get the ball to do anything. Barely a transition to roll and minimal hook if any. Just skidded lazily through the oil. I started wondering if the Dark Legend might be good but drilled to tone it down a bit...
    If you choose the dark legend don't try to drill it to make it something it's not. Have it drilled to fit your game and what the ball was meant to do. You can always add a third ball in between the two you have if you need to bridge the gap.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

It's time for the new ball. Since last winter, my only ball has been an Ebonite GB2 MVP. It's seen me through bone dry summer lanes that didn't see oil for 2 weeks (and not well)!

I'm still looking for a significant step up without getting into trouble. I like the GB2, I just want more and different. As a senior with low ball speed and "some" revs, what might be a good choice for the now again oiled conditions? I don't want something the needs speed and high revs to perform.

The local PSO's suggestions: Track Cyborg (or even Paradox), Columbia Swerve FX, Hammer Dark Legend (still on the table), Brunswick Mastermind Einstein.

Any advice or other suggestions?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast