Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member, ball advice, Revisited.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    It's time for the new ball. Since last winter, my only ball has been an Ebonite GB2 MVP. It's seen me through bone dry summer lanes that didn't see oil for 2 weeks (and not well)!

I'm still looking for a significant step up without getting into trouble. I like the GB2, I just want more and different. As a senior with low ball speed and "some" revs, what might be a good choice for the now again oiled conditions? I don't want something the needs speed and high revs to perform.

The local PSO's suggestions: Track Cyborg (or even Paradox), Columbia Swerve FX, Hammer Dark Legend (still on the table), Brunswick Mastermind Einstein.

Any advice or other suggestions?

Thanks.
    What are you looking for. Do you want earlier than the GB2 MVP, more backend, handle more oil? More is a very vague word in bowling need to know more where.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Is "yes to all" an option? I guess to put if vaguely, The GB2 seems to loose "oomph" when it reaches the pocket. I don't think earlier is the goal. More backend, maybe yes. Oil tolerance, yes as well.

I think I'm largely looking for something that is different, just to learn firsthand what different equipment can do. Given that I have so little experience, I want to feel and see for myself rather than read other's opinions.

It's time for the new ball. Since last winter, my only ball has been an Ebonite GB2 MVP. It's seen me through bone dry summer lanes that didn't see oil for 2 weeks (and not well)!

I'm still looking for a significant step up without getting into trouble. I like the GB2, I just want more and different. As a senior with low ball speed and "some" revs, what might be a good choice for the now again oiled conditions? I don't want something the needs speed and high revs to perform.

The local PSO's suggestions: Track Cyborg (or even Paradox), Columbia Swerve FX, Hammer Dark Legend (still on the table), Brunswick Mastermind Einstein.

Any advice or other suggestions?

Thanks.
    I'm a Brunswick person and the Mastermind series isn't a bad choice by any means.

You may also want to consider the Vintage Danger Zone, the Fanatic or even the Fanatic BTU. On the DV8 side. either the Vandal Smash and the Grudge Hybrid.

The Vandal Smash & Grudge Hybrid are both great on oily lanes.

The Fanatic is a very good versatile ball, and the Fanatic BTU is great on burned up/dry lanes, and also does a great job down the middle in the oil as well.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Is "yes to all" an option? I guess to put if vaguely, The GB2 seems to loose "oomph" when it reaches the pocket. I don't think earlier is the goal. More backend, maybe yes. Oil tolerance, yes as well.

I think I'm largely looking for something that is different, just to learn firsthand what different equipment can do. Given that I have so little experience, I want to feel and see for myself rather than read other's opinions.
    Definitely More oil and More Backend
    Brunswick Ultimate Nirvana
    Storm Street Fight
    Radical Guru Limited or Supreme
    Ebonite Warrior Supreme
    Track Cyborg

More Backend
    Brunswick Mastermind Braniac
    Storm Snaplock
    Track Paradox or Trilogy
    Hammer Dark Legend (not the solid)

Honestly all of these are more than I would use on a typical house shot but if you want to try something different it's a good list. I might also suggest the Brunswick Mastermind Einstein if you can find a goo deal on clearance. It would handle more oil and probably more backend than your GB2 MVP and be more of a single step up. The above mentioned balls are more like 2 balls up from your current ball. If you could afford it with a god deal on a Einstein and get a Snap Lock or Trilogy looks like a complete bag to me.

Current arsenal

Thanks for that lucid and thorough response.

My focus was down to the Dark Legend, Einstein and recently, Cyborg. My local PSO went to an expo last month expecting to be unimpressed with the Cyborg. Quite the opposite happened. He loved it. He immediately put one on the shelf and has been suggesting it as a good choice. It seems to be in the same class as the Dark Legend. How might they differ?

Thanks for that lucid and thorough response.

My focus was down to the Dark Legend, Einstein and recently, Cyborg. My local PSO went to an expo last month expecting to be unimpressed with the Cyborg. Quite the opposite happened. He loved it. He immediately put one on the shelf and has been suggesting it as a good choice. It seems to be in the same class as the Dark Legend. How might they differ?
    I have not seen the Cyborg in person yet but from the numbers and watching a few videos of it I would expect it to be the earliest and have the least amount of backend reaction. It would also probably handle a little more oil. It's definitely a more aggressive ball than you GB2 MVP.

The other two I am very familiar with the Einstein I actually own. Of the three it would be in the middle longer than the Cyborg and earlier than the Dark Legend. More backend than the Cyborg slightly less than the Dark Legend.

The Dark Legend has the most back end movement of the three balls and the least amount of surface so it handles the least amount of oil. The DL does have the strongest cover of the three mentioned balls so that does help with getting it started a little sooner than you might otherwise expect.

The DL and Einstein are both great balls in my opinion. It really comes down to if you want something that's a little more than your MVP in the Einstein or do you want something that's more stand left throw right which will be the DL. I can't comment on the Cyborg yet I'll eventually run in to some guys throwing it on my travel league but it's just recently came out. I wrote Track off as dead and a joke many years ago but the Paradox and Heat are changing my mind. It may be worth considering the price difference I've seen some sites clearing out the Einstein's for $99 or less which is hard to beat.

Current arsenal

Cranker
    Chats: 0

i may have missed it if it was asked, but do you use one ball for strikes and spares? how are you on 10 pins with the hook? that is my issue right now just the 10 pin...lol At our age and not know ing the new game spares count a lot! Ex. last week I left 6 10 pins made 2..and 4 solid 7 pins made 3, I averaged 140 which could have been 170 or so
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    i may have missed it if it was asked, but do you use one ball for strikes and spares? how are you on 10 pins with the hook? that is my issue right now just the 10 pin...lol At our age and not know ing the new game spares count a lot! Ex. last week I left 6 10 pins made 2..and 4 solid 7 pins made 3, I averaged 140 which could have been 170 or so
    I use plastic for the 10 pin. Once in a great while I accidentally create lift with my plastic, but because there is very little reaction (if any) from plastic, it stays well enough on line to get the 10 pin.

Unless you can throw your strike ball with a perfectly straight release, getting that 10 pin is extremely difficult.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    I use plastic for the 10 pin. Once in a great while I accidentally create lift with my plastic, but because there is very little reaction (if any) from plastic, it stays well enough on line to get the 10 pin.

Unless you can throw your strike ball with a perfectly straight release, getting that 10 pin is extremely difficult.

mine either hits the channel half way down or hooks away from the 10 in what seems the last 6''s...lol. and somehow I will chop the 6 off the 10...dam 10 pin! I'd rather go high and leave a 4 pin
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    mine either hits the channel half way down or hooks away from the 10 in what seems the last 6''s...lol. and somehow I will chop the 6 off the 10...dam 10 pin! I'd rather go high and leave a 4 pin
    It's a matter of throwing the ball perfectly straight, but going cross lane doesn't hurt either. In going cross lane you can have more lift and let it hang close to the gutter and the ball should stay right on line for the 10 pin. If you have the 6-10, then target the first arrow with plastic. Either way works for me. Just depends on how I'm feeling with my release.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast