Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New member, ball advice, Revisited.

A click away from ordering an Einstein when last night a local "expert" suggested a Brainiac. His suggestion was based on my fairly low ball speed. He thought that the Einstein might start a little too early, given all the factors involved (ball speed, rev. rate, oil, etc.). I think I'm over thinking this by now... You are correct. With a little shopping, the prices can't be beat.

Re: a spare ball. I don't have one but it's on my "to do" list. I'm a lefty and do leave many a 7, 4-7 that are a struggle to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post
    A click away from ordering an Einstein when last night a local "expert" suggested a Brainiac. His suggestion was based on my fairly low ball speed. He thought that the Einstein might start a little too early, given all the factors involved (ball speed, rev. rate, oil, etc.). I think I'm over thinking this by now... You are correct. With a little shopping, the prices can't be beat.

Re: a spare ball. I don't have one but it's on my "to do" list. I'm a lefty and do leave many a 7, 4-7 that are a struggle to convert.
    The Brainiac and Vintage Danger Zone are very similar balls. In either case you can't go wrong. Both are very good.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    The Brainiac and Vintage Danger Zone are very similar balls. In either case you can't go wrong. Both are very good.
    Meaning no disrespect, but please let posters know that you are using 12 lb. balls. In heavier versions, there is nothing similar in the reactions that you will see in the Danger Zone and the Brainiac.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Meaning no disrespect, but please let posters know that you are using 12 lb. balls. In heavier versions, there is nothing similar in the reactions that you will see in the Danger Zone and the Brainiac.
    No disrespect taken. My signature has all of my equipment with the weights listed.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Grande View Post

To be honest the balls are close and either will preform very well on a THS I don't have a Braniac but my wife does and loves it. The braniac is a little longer and just a little more backend. I think you'll be happy with it if that's what you decided on. Buy the spare ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Rob I'm really not sure he's as far off on this as you may think. There are a lot of similarities between the two balls both in real life and in the numbers. I have the VDZ and my wife has the Barniac neither of them are 12 lbs. and there are some similarities. The Braniac is a little longer and more angular but really not a lot different. Could be because I have a length drilling on my VDZ but really they are somewhat close I wouldn't want both in the same bag. Take a look at Brunswick's ratings on their site they don't have them listed too differently either. I think a lot of people underestimate the strength of that cover because its in the vintage line. The VDZ honestly is about as strong as my Einstein just longer. Well what's about the same strength as an Einstein but just a little longer the Braniac.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Rob I'm really not sure he's as far off on this as you may think. There are a lot of similarities between the two balls both in real life and in the numbers. I have the VDZ and my wife has the Barniac neither of them are 12 lbs. and there are some similarities. The Braniac is a little longer and more angular but really not a lot different. Could be because I have a length drilling on my VDZ but really they are somewhat close I wouldn't want both in the same bag. Take a look at Brunswick's ratings on their site they don't have them listed too differently either. I think a lot of people underestimate the strength of that cover because its in the vintage line. The VDZ honestly is about as strong as my Einstein just longer. Well what's about the same strength as an Einstein but just a little longer the Braniac.
    As I said in other posts, there was a time when I was looking at both of them and couldn't decide because of their similarities. Either way I didn't think I could go wrong.

It was my PSO who felt that the VDZ would be a better fit because it would be a bit smoother than the Brainiac.

I have seen both balls used by the same bowler. The balls react totally differently. The Danger Zone is a symmetrically-cored solid that is meant to mimic the motion of the original Danger Zone. In is very smooth and in the middle in terms of aggression. The Brainiac, on the other hand has an asymmetrical aggressive core and a polished pearl cover to try to create a skid/snap reaction; something that Brunswick is not known for. It is very difficult to evaluate ball reactions off the hands of different bowlers, however the graphs on the Brunswick website are pretty accurate.

I have seen both balls used by the same bowler. The balls react totally differently. The Danger Zone is a symmetrically-cored solid that is meant to mimic the motion of the original Danger Zone. In is very smooth and in the middle in terms of aggression. The Brainiac, on the other hand has an asymmetrical aggressive core and a polished pearl cover to try to create a skid/snap reaction; something that Brunswick is not known for. It is very difficult to evaluate ball reactions off the hands of different bowlers, however the graphs on the Brunswick website are pretty accurate.
    Rob I will give you the core in the Braniac is asymmetrical although it is a mild asymmetrical .13 vs a symmetrical in the VDZ. Remember though a ball can be .9 and still called a symmetrical. Probably not the case here with a light bulb core but anything's possible until you see the actual number.

Braniac VDZ
    RG 2.55 2.54
    Diff .48 .48
    Surface = =
    Hook 210 220
    Length 150 125
    Break Point 145 120

IDK looks pretty close to me. Your not the first person I've seen comment that the VDZ is smoother but most of them that I've seen say that have changed the surface to 2k or 3k. I'm not saying that they are exactly the same the Braniac changes direction quicker and harder than the VDZ but it's close enough with the OOB surfaces I wouldn't want them both in the same bag. I'd love to find a video with somebody throwing both on the same lanes I bet they are within 2-1 of each other with them. Bowling.com and Bowlingball.com both list the VDZ as skid/flip.
    Last edited by Amyers; 09-19-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Current arsenal

BTW, Current ball (Gamebreaker 2 MVP) and whatever comes next are 15 lbs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234