Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming over top of the ball

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 1

Default Coming over top of the ball

It has come to my attention that my hand is going over the top of the ball when I release, and it is why my hook is not entirely consistent. To make this short, any videos/photos/tips that will help me stop doing so? Also, what should it feel like?
    Thanks for any help!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Imagine the center of the ball has an equator, your fingers should be under the equator when you release the ball which will give you proper revs and rotation. When you are going over the top, your fingers are above the equator and most likely you are just spinning the ball. So concentrate on staying behind the ball with your fingers below the center of the ball and focus on making sure your thumb releases from the ball first followed by the fingers.

Here is a video of slow motion releases from all different pros, while they all have different motions the one thing in common is the fingers at the equator or below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZNVJql7hH8

What is Bowling?

Imagining this helped a great deal with the understanding. I don't throw until tomorrow, but then I throw everyday for 4-5 hours until next Tuesday. Before trying this, is there usually a learning curve in terms of speed? Just watching it makes me think that for atleast a game I will be slowed down and over hook a bit.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by AlecV View Post
    Imagining this helped a great deal with the understanding. I don't throw until tomorrow, but then I throw everyday for 4-5 hours until next Tuesday. Before trying this, is there usually a learning curve in terms of speed? Just watching it makes me think that for atleast a game I will be slowed down and over hook a bit.
    The learning curve will be different for everyone. You might throw it and feel the way the ball comes off your hand and it just clicks. For some others it may seem unnatural and will take some time. I would say focus on keeping a firm wrist and staying behind the ball and that should go a long way with keeping your fingers under the equator.

Alec, While you're on YouTube, try taking a look at two searches. Search one for Foul Line Drill. Search two for One Step Drill. These are two drills which will demonstrate to you that throwing a ball with revs isn't all that difficult with the proper hand position at the release point. The difficult part is getting your body to accept it and allow you to roll the ball with your fingers on the bottom of the ball. Your thumb should remain to the right. The videos that should come up for you will be Joe Slowinski and/or Richard Shockley. Both excellent bowling coaches! Hope this helps...

SandBagger

Have your pro-shop check to be sure staying behind the ball will NOT create a straight ball. Offset the fingers allows the index to come off a bit later and will generate the revs more naturally.
    In the early days, I am 73, you were taught to throw as if you were throwing a football. This easily can cause spin and negate the action of todays equipment.
    Last edited by ChuckR; 02-10-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: More Info

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Alec, While you're on YouTube, try taking a look at two searches. Search one for Foul Line Drill. Search two for One Step Drill. These are two drills which will demonstrate to you that throwing a ball with revs isn't all that difficult with the proper hand position at the release point. The difficult part is getting your body to accept it and allow you to roll the ball with your fingers on the bottom of the ball. Your thumb should remain to the right. The videos that should come up for you will be Joe Slowinski and/or Richard Shockley. Both excellent bowling coaches! Hope this helps...
    One way to view the different releases is the static hand position where you simply hold your hand in the same position throughout your swing, typically with your thumb pointed from about 9:30 up to 12 for varying amounts of hook, the 1/4 turn rotation where you come through with your thumb closer to 12 and as you release your rotate the fingers a 1/4 more or less to vary your hook, the third is more of the cranker with a cupped wrist and a powerful release, uncupping your wrist at release. There are also some other releases people use

The Coaching video's suggested are a great resource to help learn the correct form and position, having worked with Coach Shockley I can't say enough good things about him and his coaching ability, you can learn a great deal by studying his video's. If you happen to be in the Northern Illinois area you can even take one on one lessons with him.

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Have your pro-shop check to be sure staying behind the ball will NOT create a straight ball.
    I'm very fortunate in the fact that I have two High School coaches that are Silver. One might even be Gold as a matter of fact. I'll ask them to watch me and see if I have improved with it after a few days of trying.

What is Bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If you happen to be in the Northern Illinois area you can even take one on one lessons with him.
    Just curious, how far north? I live in the Eastern most part of Iowa. Around The Quad Cities.

I believe Coach Shockley is in the Rockford, IL area and associated with Bowlers Mart...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast