Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USBC Masters

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    In another few years all you are going to see is two handers. They have too much of an advantage. Should have banned two handers over 12 years old before it became a problem. Another nail in the coffin.
    What we are witnessing is a major change in the sport of bowling. I don't agree that it's "another nail in the coffin." If two handed bowling becomes the norm at the professional level, I think it will serve to redefine the difference between professionals and house bowlers; the same difference that has been destroyed by the USBC's total failure to regulate "house" lane conditions that allow league bowlers to believe that they are as good as the pros based on their inflated league averages. House bowlers will still bowl with one hand for the most part, but I think that they will at least see that they are not in the same league with the pros.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    What we are witnessing is a major change in the sport of bowling. I don't agree that it's "another nail in the coffin." If two handed bowling becomes the norm at the professional level, I think it will serve to redefine the difference between professionals and house bowlers; the same difference that has been destroyed by the USBC's total failure to regulate "house" lane conditions that allow league bowlers to believe that they are as good as the pros based on their inflated league averages. House bowlers will still bowl with one hand for the most part, but I think that they will at least see that they are not in the same league with the pros.
    I think bowling one or two handed whom ever has the more skill at repeating a great shot will be the better bowler. I see many local bowlers that bowl 2 handed that can not repeat a shot do lousy. Personally I would like to see the house shot be a PBA masters pattern and not the same one every week then we shall see who the great league bowlers are. 300 games would be a harder achievement Even a 220 average would be a challenge. Imagine how much people would get out to actually practice instead of only league play.
    Last edited by Jessiewoodard57; 02-14-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Pin Crusher

Two points: First I was rooting for Wes but he choked plain and simple!

Second if you idealist want to kill what is left of league bowling is start putting out hard ever changing patterns.

I find watching two handers in the PBA boring. It's like they found a way to beat the game with a technique that requires less skill...

Quote Originally Posted by Briantime View Post
    I find watching two handers in the PBA boring. It's like they found a way to beat the game with a technique that requires less skill...
    It doesn't require less skill... i requires different skills! Big difference.

I don't get all the jealousy...I mean negativity toward 2-handers.

The only negative thing I can say about the technique is that it isn't very aesthetically pleasing, imo.

If they get such a benefit from the technique and it takes no skill, why doesn't EVERYONE learn to bowl 2-handed? Those that bag on it are either stubborn or don't believe the words they say. Either way, the vitriol is quite entertaining and the movie Grumpy Old Men comes to mind.

I bowl 1 handed and with a thumb, btw.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Quote Originally Posted by shadd View Post
    I don't get all the jealousy...I mean negativity toward 2-handers.

The only negative thing I can say about the technique is that it isn't very aesthetically pleasing, imo.

If they get such a benefit from the technique and it takes no skill, why doesn't EVERYONE learn to bowl 2-handed? Those that bag on it are either stubborn or don't believe the words they say. Either way, the vitriol is quite entertaining and the movie Grumpy Old Men comes to mind.

I bowl 1 handed and with a thumb, btw.

I don't know for sure if you were referencing my post, but I said it takes less skill. Do you think it is a coincidence that the youngest bowler to win a major is a two handed bowler? I don't.

For example: I recently went to the second of two bowling outings through my work. Kind of an activity day, I bowled with the same group both times. One guy averaged about 80 bowling one handed. On a lark, he picked up a 9 pound ball, started whipping it down the lane two handed and threw a 176. Coincidence?

Do I care if every bowler in the PBA bowls two handed? No really. I just find it less compelling to watch.

Hopefully that guy got excited by his better scoring experience and joins a league. We can use all the new bowlers we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Hopefully that guy got excited by his better scoring experience and joins a league. We can use all the new bowlers we can get.
    I certainly cannot disagree with that

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Two points:
    Second if you idealist want to kill what is left of league bowling is start putting out hard ever changing patterns.
    I am not an idealist but let's face the facts a house shot can be many more board wider then the sport pattern shot therefore requiring less accuracy with the shot. No I don't want to end leagues as they are. In my neck of the woods (the Villages Area central Florida) many of these seniors throw a straight down the middle ball and would never know the difference. I myself am a low average bowler but still would welcome the sport pattern shots. At our particular house half the time they only oil the heads which is chasing off more bowlers then a sport pattern would.
    Roto Grip Sinister, Storm 2Fast, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Joy Ride, Storm Phase, Storm Sky Rocket, Storm Mix, 14#equipment..Disabled bowler bowl from a wheel chair.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast