Thread: That Purple Stuff "issues"

Default That Purple Stuff "issues"

This may be more for Bowl1820 than anybody else since he was one of the first to use The Purple Stuff but to me it looks like the stuff is too strong and is making my polish wear off faster than usual. I guess this should have been anticipated though.

Is this something you have experienced?

Add to it the strong smell and I may have to give up on it or use it more sparingly. Right now I only use it as a cleaner at end of bowling, not between frames.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    This may be more for Bowl1820 than anybody else since he was one of the first to use The Purple Stuff but to me it looks like the stuff is too strong and is making my polish wear off faster than usual. I guess this should have been anticipated though.

Is this something you have experienced?

Add to it the strong smell and I may have to give up on it or use it more sparingly. Right now I only use it as a cleaner at end of bowling, not between frames.
    What your probably just noticing is the wear on the ball.

Every time you roll a ball down the lane, in a manner of speaking your sanding the ball do to the friction against the lane, ball return etc.

Most polishes are just liquid abrasives and your just basically sanding the surface smoother with it. The exception being polishes that contain slip agents, which lets the ball skid more.

When you use a cleaner it's removing the oils & grime which hide the surface texture, so after cleaning you see the surface wear as it actually is.

So polish is not a coating that you put on a ball that can be "stripped off" just by a cleaner (like TPS) or "wear" off, It's not like putting a coat of wax on a car.

Now if you use a "Cleaner/Polish" that's different, because those cleaners contain a abrasive. Which could possibly dull a highly polished ball or polish a dull ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-03-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I'll continue to use it and see what happens.

Chats: 32

Some balls seem to have softer surfaces and their surface grits don't seem to hold up for as long others you really don't notice it. I'm not sure if this is real or you can just see it with your eyes more easily. As Bowl said the polish isn't a layer on the ball it's just that the balls get more of a shiny appearance at higher grit levels. You also have more maintenance to keep a ball at either end of the grit scale 500/1000 wears out more quickly than 4000 it works on the other side too polished balls will wear more quickly than a 4000. It does sound like your about time to have the ball resurfaced.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Something else to consider is "lane shine" using that purple stuff between shots will reduce lane shine.
    PauL757

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by PauL757 View Post
    Something else to consider is "lane shine" using that purple stuff between shots will reduce lane shine.
    If the purple stuff is actually reducing lane shine, then it's altering the surface of the ball which would be illegal.

I tend to think it's not reducing lane shine, but maybe masking the visibility of the lane shine.

Lane Shine comes from the microscopic mountain peaks created by sanding, breaking off leaving plateau.